3-week long effort to install Ruby Mine on windows 7 fals -- help!!!

Jerry Ross

Jul 24, 2015, 12:36:55 PM7/24/15
to RailsInstaller
I have struggled for a long time now with all manner of stack-based frameworks to do web development on Windos7 to no avail.  Currently I have spent 3 weeks attempting to get Ruby Mine to work. My latest attempt allows me to run an app I have created called myapp5 but it ends in an error state which indicates my Ruby environment may not be correct.  I am about to begin again uninstalling everything and starting over from scratch.  However, before I do that let's see if you can help me clarify how to connect devkit and Ruby Mine?

After installing devkit, I tried to follow the installation tutorial which said to go to the devkit directory (mine is c:\devkit) and type

ruby dk.rb init

I do that but get "ruby is not a recognized command"

so what now?

BTW, here is the latest error message from Ruby Mine when I attempt to run myapp5:

"Following gems were not installed:
C:\Program Files (x86)\JetBrains\RubyMine 7.1.4\rb\gems\debase-0.1.4.gem: Error installing debase-0.1.4.gem:
The 'debase' native gem requires installed build tools. Please update your PATH to include build tools or download the DevKit from 'http://rubyinstaller.org/downloads' and follow the instructions at 'http://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/wiki/Development-Kit'

Native compilation failed. Please make sure that you have Ruby DevKit installed "

Note: I have DevKit installed but why can't RM find it?

Jerry

Stephen Huey

Jul 24, 2015, 12:55:40 PM7/24/15
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
I was an early user of RailsInstaller and half a dozen years ago I used it on Windows but haven't used Ruby on Windows in many years.  I'm not familiar with DevKit, but this issue doesn't seem related to RailsInstaller at all.  The error is saying that it's not in your PATH.

I noticed they have a Requirements section, so make sure there is no whitespace in the directory structure pointing to your Ruby installation.  Also, here are some recent instructions on setting your PATH in Windows:

Let us know if any of that helps!  I'm curious if your app runs from the command line outside of RubyMine.  Also, I see that DevKit recommends posting issues to the RubyInstaller group:

Regards,
Stephen

Chibueze Ahaneku

Aug 12, 2015, 12:26:06 PM8/12/15
to RailsInstaller
I am struggling as well and can't get to install the the tutorial on windows 7.Is this a trusted site without the'https' starter?And which of the two windows versions is needed - I am trying to install both.What to do?