No Mavericks Support?

Wintaru

Nov 6, 2013, 5:06:50 AM11/6/13
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
I did a quick search of the group for Mavericks and only found two rather old topics dating back to July 26th. Are there plans to update the OSX installer for Mavericks?

Evan Machnic

Nov 6, 2013, 9:13:39 AM11/6/13
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

There are plans but no time frame since Engine Yard's sponsorship of @mpapis has ended and this project is on the back burner for him. The project is open source so feel free to add compatibility if inclined.

Evan

Evan B. Machnic // Deployment Engineer

Engine Yard

The Leading Platform as a Service

Office: 415.994.5365

Skype: evan.ey

Twitter:  @emachnic

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 5:06 AM, Wintaru <joshua....@gmail.com> wrote:
I did a quick search of the group for Mavericks and only found two rather old topics dating back to July 26th. Are there plans to update the OSX installer for Mavericks?

Wintaru

Nov 6, 2013, 9:51:51 AM11/6/13
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
Boy I'd love to contribute but I'm just starting out learning Ruby and so I'm sure I don't have the experience needed. Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it.

Karl Panama

Nov 10, 2013, 7:52:12 PM11/10/13
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
I too have the issue of no Mavericks support.  I wish I had of known before I upgraded, oh well my own stupid fault!

Paulo Borja

Dec 13, 2013, 8:06:46 PM12/13/13
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I too have the same issue here... what a shame.
Greetings,

Alicia Steadman

May 3, 2014, 2:13:42 PM5/3/14
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
no more shame.  Let's do something about this.

Can we get an estimated $ or Time on the cost of supporting mavericks?  We have an open source community here in New Orleans Louisiana, and possible funding opportunities, too.  Rather than saying it's a shame, what can we do?   We need actionable steps to keep this project alive.

Evan Machnic

May 5, 2014, 9:13:26 AM5/5/14
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
Alicia et al,

The project is open source so as I said before, anyone is welcome to contribute and send pull requests. I'm not really sure what needs done for Mavericks support but Michal would know best. We have an Apple Developer license now so it should be possible to bundle in Command Line Utilities but I'm not sure what that would take.

The thing is, Command Line Utilities can now be installed with `xcode-select --install` and it makes things much easier than it used to be. I'm wondering what real benefits the OSX version provides aside from just a packaged installer. It's almost easier to just use the command line and install RVM with the one-line command from the site. I'll leave this open for thoughts about whether there should be effort to support OSX going forward as it seems to get more difficult with new versions.

Evan