Latest Railsinstaller on OS X 10.10 Yosemite

Amod Agrawal

Nov 14, 2014, 6:32:58 AM11/14/14
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
Does the latest RailsInstaller for Mac, work on OS X 10.10?

Ronando Long

Apr 15, 2015, 4:22:46 PM4/15/15
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
Apparently not. This question was asked a few months before you did. Did you find any easy solution?

Amod Agrawal

Apr 15, 2015, 4:38:11 PM4/15/15
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
No, I had to switch to Linux for my project.

Ronando Long

Apr 15, 2015, 4:47:00 PM4/15/15
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
Amazing! I just returned my brand new Dell touchscreen laptop and upgraded to the Mac because the Ubuntu OS was glitchy. It's infuriating that web development these days is contingent on overcoming hurdles such as downloading and figuring out non-user-friendly Linux platforms like Git and Rails, which you would think would be something incredibly easy to do. I don't think the developers could have made it any more challenging if they tried.

Amod Agrawal

Apr 15, 2015, 4:51:33 PM4/15/15
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
It is indeed infuriating. To be honest, I didn’t spend a lot of time trying to figure out a solution. Installing Ubuntu on my Mac (dual boot) was much easier for me.
I am sure, there will be an easy solution out there for Mac.
I use my Mac a lot for development, and Rails is the first framework that forced me to move to Ubuntu.
On Apr 16, 2015, at 2:17 AM, Ronando Long <ronand...@gmail.com> wrote:

Amazing! I just returned my brand new Dell touchscreen laptop and upgraded to the Mac because the Ubuntu OS was glitchy. It's infuriating that web development these days is contingent on overcoming hurdles such as downloading and figuring out non-user-friendly Linux platforms like Git and Rails, which you would think would be something incredibly easy to do. I don't think the developers could have made it any more challenging if they tried.

Stephen Huey

Apr 15, 2015, 4:59:40 PM4/15/15
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
I can understand your frustration, but nowadays there are tools like Homebrew do help with some Ruby-related dependencies on OS X.  I've been using Rails for a few years but today was my first time to use Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite and I found these helpful for getting Rails set up on this new machine:

https://gorails.com/setup/osx/10.10-yosemite
http://railsapps.github.io/installrubyonrails-mac.html

For anyone who needs Postgres, a handy way is to use Homebrew, but even better is downloading the new Postgres.app for OS X (both of those links mention this).

Regards,
Stephen

Evan Machnic

Apr 15, 2015, 5:07:03 PM4/15/15
to railsin...@googlegroups.com, railsin...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that Stephen. I have to agree that Homebrew/RVM/Postgres.app are a winning combination. RailsInstaller was released to make it easier to get running with Rails at a time when it wasn’t very easy. Things have changed with Mavericks and Yosemite to the point where it doesn’t really provide a huge benefit versus using what’s already available.

Evan

Evan Machnic
@emachnic