Railo admin very slow

Blacklaw

Jan 25, 2013, 1:54:13 PM1/25/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
I have recently upgraded my server  to Railo 4, un-installed Railo 3 first so as to get newer Apache as well and installed Railo 4 from scratch and am having some odd behaviour with the Railo Web and server admins.
Pages seems to get stuck as certain parts of the page seem to never load (such as the header background) and as I click around the admin on every other click the the web.cfm and server.cfm pages will try to download instead of displaying. If I refresh it will load the next time, if I refresh again, the file might  try to download instead.
It is only the web and server admins which are doing this, my actual apps are working fine.

so I can browse around www.mysite.com without any issues
I will get the above issues.

I am running on windows 2008 R2 /IIS

I noticed the new boncode handlers, but also noticed the OLD ISAPI redirect handler was showing in IIS too, I presume that is no longer needed to removed it. No change.
I also noticed that the jakarta vdir no longer seems to be required (it was not created on the default website anyhow), so I have removed all of those too, no change.
There seems to be a lack of any documentation for Railo 4 and how things have changed since Railo 3 (such as the 2 things above), everything on the website still seems to be Railo 3 oriented.

Mark Drew

Jan 25, 2013, 2:01:33 PM1/25/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
What browser are you using? Safari is slow sometimes and if you use Chrome it's fine

Mark Drew
Railo Technologies      Professional Open Source
skype: mark_railo        ma...@getrailo.com
+44 7971 852296           www.getrailo.com

Jordan Michaels

Jan 25, 2013, 2:16:35 PM1/25/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
The older isapi_redirect.dll was swapped out for the BonCode Connector
back in version 3. It is not unique to version 4 as you suppose. The
change was noted in the Installer release notes here:

https://github.com/getrailo/railo/wiki/Installation%3AInstallerDocumentation%3AReleaseNotes#wiki-Railo_332002_pl0

Further, the process of adding sites to IIS has been updated to mention
the BonCode Connector changes. That documentation is available here:

https://github.com/getrailo/railo/wiki/Installation%3AInstallerDocumentation%3AMSAddingSites

HTH

Warm Regards,
Jordan Michaels

Blacklaw

Jan 25, 2013, 8:46:33 PM1/25/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
I am using Chrome, but tried IE too.
This problem only started since v4 as I said though, no such issues with v3.

Thanks for the links  Jordan, I would never of even thought to look on github, perhaps having the info on the Railo site would be a good idea?
However as I said the apps (read websites) are working fine, I figured out the connectors myself, it is only the web and server admins having this issue. I would presume that if the sites/connectors/handlers were not setup correctly then nothing would be working.

Michael Offner

Jan 28, 2013, 4:19:20 AM1/28/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
i think the problem is with the different image/css handling in 4.0 admin, we are not happy with that as well and we have already improved for next release and rewritten for Railo 4.1.

Micha

2013/1/25 Blacklaw <judebl...@gmail.com>

/micha

Michael Offner CTO Railo Technologies GmbH

Blacklaw

Jan 28, 2013, 6:35:29 AM1/28/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,
OK that might explain the pages not loading properly, but would that also be causing the .cfm files to randomly download as well ? seems like that must be a different issue.

I have also been investigating another issue with FusionReactor keep breaking since upgrading to Railo 4, and found someone else with this issue.
The cause was that Railo/Tomcat is frequently trying to redeploy the webapps over & over again.
Looking at my own Tomcat logs this appears to be happening to me too.
What would cause this, and could this also be causing my Railo Admin issues as well ?

Martijn van der Woud

Jan 28, 2013, 2:44:00 PM1/28/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
I am seeing this as well after upgrading to Railo 4. The regular site works well, but downloading images, css and js resources is awefully slow. Strange thing is that the resource downloading is fast again when I disable browser caching. Weird.

Denny

Jan 28, 2013, 5:09:39 PM1/28/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
On 1/28/13 12:44 PM, Martijn van der Woud wrote:
> I am seeing this as well after upgrading to Railo 4. The regular site works
> well, but downloading images, css and js resources is awefully slow.
> Strange thing is that the resource downloading is fast again when I disable
> browser caching. Weird.

Looks to me like the slow-loading resources all have ETags like:

{ts '2013-01-14 10:29:12'}-1D40EF8476D5440986EC72338723744A

Which is perhaps messing up Safari? Random guess is that the timestamp
was supposed to be in the hash, vs. prepended to it...

Hrm. Saw one with the funky etag that works fine. I guess it is only
resources without the "expires" header, like style.css.cfm.

Adding "expireDays=1" to oHTTPCaching.handleResponseWhenCached fixes it.

:Denny

--
Railo Technologies: getrailo.com Professional Open Source
Skype: valliantster (505)510.1336 de...@getrailo.com

Igal @ getRailo.org

Jan 28, 2013, 5:59:04 PM1/28/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
hey Denny -- what version are you seeing this in?

Denny

Jan 28, 2013, 7:15:16 PM1/28/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Version 4.0.3.002

Removing the <cfexit method="exittemplate" /> fixes it too, FWIW. ;)p

Things that did *not* fix it include replacing the cfexit with cfabort,
and adding a cfflush before the cfexit.

It /appears/ to boil down to Safari wanting that expires header.

I still think the datestamp should be moved inside the etag hash, vs.
being prepended, but that doesn't appear to be anything besides a
cosmetic issue.

:Denny

Igal @ getRailo.org

Jan 28, 2013, 8:11:24 PM1/28/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
we recently changed those files (see example at
https://github.com/getrailo/railo/blob/4.0/railo-cfml/railo-admin/admin/resources/img/arrow-active.gif.cfm
)

so hopefully this will work better now.

Igal

Jude Blacklaw

Jan 29, 2013, 11:01:32 AM1/29/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
anyone got any idea on my "tomcat constantly reloading web app" issue ?

Igal Sapir

Jan 30, 2013, 4:16:12 AM1/30/13
to Railo List

I'd look first into the Tomcat logs.  By default they're at {Tomcat}/logs

Igal

--
typos, misspels, and other weird words brought to you courtesy of my mobile device and its auto-(in)correct feature.

On Jan 29, 2013 8:01 AM, "Jude Blacklaw" <judebl...@gmail.com> wrote:
anyone got any idea on my "tomcat constantly reloading web app" issue ?

Blacklaw

Jan 30, 2013, 9:04:31 AM1/30/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Igal,

I have checked the tomcat logs, this is how I found out what it is doing, but I am trying to find out why.

here are some log extracts, these are repeated constantly all day every day for all the tomcat folders.

Note it is only the tomcat apps that it is trying to re-install, not the RAILO apps on each website.

from railo-stderr log
the catalina log contains these errors too
===============

Jan 30, 2013 12:59:58 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDirectory
INFO: Deploying web application directory C:\railo\tomcat\webapps\tomcat-docs
Jan 30, 2013 12:59:58 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDirectory
SEVERE: Error deploying web application directory C:\railo\tomcat\webapps\tomcat-docs
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: addChild:  Child name '/tomcat-docs' is not unique
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:887)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:877)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:633)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory(HostConfig.java:1114)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployDirectory.run(HostConfig.java:1673)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Jan 30, 2013 12:59:58 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDirectory
INFO: Deploying web application directory C:\railo\tomcat\webapps\tomcat-manager
Jan 30, 2013 12:59:58 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDirectory
SEVERE: Error deploying web application directory C:\railo\tomcat\webapps\tomcat-manager
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: addChild:  Child name '/tomcat-manager' is not unique
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:887)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:877)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:633)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory(HostConfig.java:1114)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployDirectory.run(HostConfig.java:1673)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Blacklaw

Jan 30, 2013, 9:56:31 AM1/30/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
I have deleted all the tomcat webapps which seems to have stopped the repeating auto deployment issue, but this seems like overkill ?
I may need the tomcat manager app at some point.

Igal Sapir

Jan 30, 2013, 2:11:41 PM1/30/13
to Railo List

Looks like you have the same definitions multiple times.  The error message is saying that the child names are not unique.

Most likely a problem in {tomcat}/conf/server.xml

Igal
--
typos, misspels, and other weird words brought to you courtesy of my mobile device and its auto-(in)correct feature.

Jude Blacklaw

Mar 1, 2013, 2:55:00 PM3/1/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
there are no duplicate definitions in the server.xml, as I said this was a clean install of Railo 4 so I started from scratch.
Still having issues with the Railo admin being very slow and randomly downloading the pages instead of displaying them.
am I the only one having this issue ?

Igal @ getRailo.org

Mar 1, 2013, 3:00:34 PM3/1/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com

there are no duplicate definitions in the server.xml, as I said this was a clean install of Railo 4 so I started from scratch.
the error message you copied before clearly states that the web app name is not unique:

SEVERE: Error deploying web application directory C:\railo\tomcat\webapps\tomcat-docs
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: addChild:  Child name '/tomcat-docs' is not unique
maybe the duplication is in web.xml -- possible that each web.xml has the entry once, but it appears both on the server level and the web context level.

am I the only one having this issue ?
looks like it.  try to search google for "tomcat error child name not unique"
https://www.google.com/search?q=tomcat+error+child+name+not+unique

Igal

Jude Blacklaw

Mar 8, 2013, 9:30:32 AM3/8/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
I already solved the issue with the apps being constantly re-created as I mentioned before I simply deleted those tomcat apps, and those errors are no longer appearing in the logs.
I also delete the web-inf folder from every site as well, so it got re-created.

Blacklaw

Mar 12, 2013, 9:53:01 AM3/12/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
I guess I will need to downgrade to Railo 3.3 :-(
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to railo+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Blacklaw

Apr 26, 2013, 4:23:58 PM4/26/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone else got any clues on this yet, still having same problem and I am completely stumped, I have no idea what else to do.
I tried posting on Linked in, but no joy there either.

I don't really know where else to post, am open to suggestions if this is not the right place.

Igal @ getRailo.org

Apr 26, 2013, 4:26:01 PM4/26/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
what version of Railo? what's your setup like? what browser?
> --
> Need help right now? Why not have one of the Railo Team help you
> directly: http://www.getrailo.com/index.cfm/consulting/
> ---
> Groups "Railo" group.

Kai Koenig

Apr 27, 2013, 12:04:55 AM4/27/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Just chiming in here:

In some earlier version of Railo 4 (I think 4.0.2) - the Railo admins loaded _extremely_ slow in Safari after login due to some image/css path issue.

That's def. fixed in 4.0.4 - maybe Blacklaw is running into this issue.

Cheers
Kai

Jude Blacklaw

May 2, 2013, 5:30:09 PM5/2/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
It is not so much the slowness, it is the constant prompting to download the admin pages instead of executing them, it makes the admin virtually unusable.
As I mentioned before I update dto the latest version and still have the same issue.

version is 4.0.4.001 final
windows 2008 R2, IIS

I use Google chrome by default, I just tested it in IE and it didn't seem to happen, so perhaps the issue only affects chrome.
what happens is that the screen darkens and I get the "Please wait" message for a few seconds, which I presume happens when the page is slow loading, and then it prompts to download.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Railo" group.

Blacklaw

May 13, 2013, 9:49:26 PM5/13/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
I have been using IE for a few days now instead, and while it doesn't do the download prompt, the pages just seem to go very slow or hang instead.
any page  that involves submitting a form is very hit and miss as to whether it will work.

Snake

Jun 9, 2013, 7:43:25 AM6/9/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
BTW here is an article i have just done for running Railo with Helicon zoo

HTH

On Friday, 7 June 2013 17:27:51 UTC+1, Snake wrote:
I have had this same issue on multiple  Railo 4 installations, so you are not the only one, I have been watching your thread to see if you got any answer, which you obviously didn't.
The only solution I have found is to use the Helicon Zoo module instead which did not cause this problem.
See my recent posts at www.cfmldeveloper.com for the required web.config entry.

James Kilford

Jun 10, 2013, 5:32:02 AM6/10/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
I noticed on a recent install of Railo that the administrator took ages on the first load, then was normal speed after that.  Is that the behaviour, and is it something to do with the way Railo extracts / builds the web-inf etc?

I know that's not a scientific explanation, and it could be a coincidental effect brought about by something in my environment, but perhaps others have experienced the same behaviour.

FWIW.

James

On Friday, 25 January 2013 18:54:13 UTC, Blacklaw wrote:
[...]

Did you find this reply useful? Help the Railo community and add it to the Railo Server wiki at https://github.com/getrailo/railo/wiki

If you don't have time, add a request to the Railo Server wiki to-do page at https://github.com/getrailo/railo/wiki/Todo

Snake

Aug 9, 2013, 10:04:04 AM8/9/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
no it was like it constantly.

Michael Offner

Jude Blacklaw

Sep 6, 2013, 11:14:47 AM9/6/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
I have switched to using ZOO now which has solved the issue, if I try the regular installer again and get the same issue then I will let you know.