Trying to add 2nd web site to IIS 7.5 / Railo4 installation

Dave Hatz

Nov 25, 2013, 3:07:55 PM11/25/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
I have 1 site running just fine with IIS7.5 and Railo4.

I have now tried to add a 2nd site.  I have added it to IIS7.5 with no problems and it resolves fine for index.html.  But, I am getting an error when I try to connect to a .cfm page:

Connection to Tomcat has been closed. Tomcat may be restarting. Please retry later.
Administrator: please enable logging with log level 1 or greater for detail problem capture if needed.

Can someone please point me in the right direction to look to see how I can configure my 2nd site correctly with Railo4?

Jordan Michaels

Nov 25, 2013, 3:12:06 PM11/25/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
For general guidance on setting up new sites, it's documented here:
https://github.com/getrailo/railo/wiki/Installation-InstallerDocumentation-MSAddingSites

That said, due to your error message, I think there might be something
off with your config.

Can you tell us how you installed and how you set up your first site?
Was this a fresh Windows install?

Warm Regards,
Jordan Michaels
> --
> Did you find this reply useful? Help the Railo community and add it to
> the Railo Server wiki at https://github.com/getrailo/railo/wiki
> ---

Dave Hatz

Nov 25, 2013, 3:52:33 PM11/25/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
It was a fresh windows install and then I installed Railo4.  I believe I used BonCodeAJP connector.

Dave Hatz

Nov 25, 2013, 3:53:39 PM11/25/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
I have followed the instructions on the link for setting up new IIS sites and still get the error.

Jordan Michaels

Nov 25, 2013, 3:59:03 PM11/25/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Indeed. The error you're getting is from the BonCode Connector and it
means it cannot communicate with the Tomcat AJP port. You can check the
boncode connector config to ensure that it's set to connect to the right
Tomcat port. Also check to make sure that the tomcat AJP port is open
and listening (usually port 8009).

Warm Regards,
Jordan Michaels

On 11/25/2013 12:52 PM, Dave Hatz wrote:
> It was a fresh windows install and then I installed Railo4. I believe I
> used BonCodeAJP connector.
>
> --
> Did you find this reply useful? Help the Railo community and add it to
> the Railo Server wiki at https://github.com/getrailo/railo/wiki
> ---
> Groups "Railo" group.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/railo/7939b4c3-bf17-404e-a9dd-cd735332d773%40googlegroups.com.

Dave Hatz

Nov 25, 2013, 4:13:17 PM11/25/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
from \railo\AJP13\installer.settings

[Tomcat]
server=localhost
ajpPort=8009
configureServerXml=0

from \railo\tomcat\conf\server.xml
<Host name="site1.com" appBase="webapps">
      <Context path="" docBase="C:\inetpub\wwwroot\site1\" />
      <Alias>www.site1.com</Alias>
      <Alias>site1.com</Alias>
    </Host>

    <Host name="dev.site1.com" appBase="webapps">
      <Context path="" docBase="C:\inetpub\wwwroot\site1_dev\" />
      <Alias>dev.site1.com</Alias>
    </Host>

Jordan Michaels

Nov 25, 2013, 4:24:13 PM11/25/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
So, to be clear:

www.site1.com = works just fine
dev.site1.com = "tomcat may be restarting" error

Correct?

If www.site1.com is actively working then there shouldn't be anything
wrong with Tomcat or the port configs. Something else must be getting in
the way of this specific site.

Do you have a "BIN" folder in "C:\inetpub\wwwroot\site1_dev\". If so,
check it to make sure any site-specific configs...

You could also try hitting the dev site directly on port 8888 just to
make sure it's working alright:

http://dev.site1.com:8888/

Warm Regards,
Jordan Michaels
> --
> Did you find this reply useful? Help the Railo community and add it to
> the Railo Server wiki at https://github.com/getrailo/railo/wiki
> ---
> Groups "Railo" group.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/railo/0a979f9d-770c-42ea-becd-674ff9966507%40googlegroups.com.

Dave Hatz

Nov 25, 2013, 5:25:14 PM11/25/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
So, to be clear:

www.site1.com = works just fine
dev.site1.com = "tomcat may be restarting" error

Correct?  >>CORRECT<<

http://dev.site1.com/index.html         >>> WORKS JUST FINE<<<<

I probably screwed something up setting up Railo :)

I have my web files under /inetpub/wwwroot/site1 and the 2nd site under /inetpub/wwwroot/site1_dev

Jordan Michaels

Nov 25, 2013, 5:42:17 PM11/25/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Do you get an error message when you hit this URL?
http://dev.site1.com:8888/index.cfm

What happens, exactly, when you hit it?

Warm Regards,
Jordan Michaels

Dave Hatz

Nov 25, 2013, 6:04:43 PM11/25/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com

Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to dev.site1.com:8888

Also, when I hit http://www.site1.com:8888/index.cfm, I get the same message, that I can't connect to it.

Jordan Michaels

Nov 25, 2013, 6:08:57 PM11/25/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I just noticed that you mentioned that index.html works and not
index.cfm. I assumed both your sites were using the index.cfm.

Is the Railo tomcat service running?

Warm Regards,
Jordan Michaels
> --
> Did you find this reply useful? Help the Railo community and add it to
> the Railo Server wiki at https://github.com/getrailo/railo/wiki
> ---
> Groups "Railo" group.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/railo/0b70df28-9aed-47a0-b092-c0abfdd470ea%40googlegroups.com.

Dave Hatz

Nov 25, 2013, 6:32:46 PM11/25/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Yes it is.

If I understand Railo4 installation, if I set up the site in IIS7.5, Railo4/Tomcat will automatically pick up the new site.  Or do I need to modify any of the .xml files to see the new IIS7.5 Web Site?

AJ Mercer

Nov 25, 2013, 6:41:14 PM11/25/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Is tomcat running on port 8888?
Try 8080

On Tuesday, 26 November 2013, Dave Hatz wrote:

Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to dev.site1.com:8888

Also, when I hit http://www.site1.com:8888/index.cfm, I get the same message, that I can't connect to it.

--
Did you find this reply useful? Help the Railo community and add it to the Railo Server wiki at https://github.com/getrailo/railo/wiki
---

AJ Mercer
<webonix:net strength="Industrial" /> | <webonix:org community="Open" />
http://twitter.com/webonix

Jordan Michaels

Nov 25, 2013, 6:44:45 PM11/25/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
> If I understand Railo4 installation, if I set up the site in IIS7.5,
> Railo4/Tomcat will automatically pick up the new site. Or do I need to
> modify any of the .xml files to see the new IIS7.5 Web Site?

Correct, but that will not help you in this case. The BonCode connector
is part of the process that creates the new context in Tomcat. You've
manually created the context and BonCode is still having trouble
connecting to Tomcat.

Since you mention that you're getting connection refused messages by
checking the 8888 URL's remotely - do you have the ability to check
those URL's from the local machine you're running on? The reason you
want to check those is to make sure that the problem isn't related to
the local Tomcat config (probably not, but just to rule it out).

Once you're sure it's not a local config issue, I'd recommend turning on
logging in the BonCode Connector and seeing what the actual error it's
getting from Tomcat is. Tomcat is generally pretty good about letting
services know what the problem is when they can't connect.

Might also be worth-while to check the Tomcat catalina.out file as well,
to see if you're hitting some limits of some kind in there.

Warm Regards,
Jordan Michaels
> --
> Did you find this reply useful? Help the Railo community and add it to
> the Railo Server wiki at https://github.com/getrailo/railo/wiki
> ---
> Groups "Railo" group.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/railo/21715e0b-54b8-48bd-9f5a-fb07b7d7bbe7%40googlegroups.com.

Dave Hatz

Nov 25, 2013, 7:05:50 PM11/25/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Tomcat is running on 8888.

Dave Hatz

Nov 25, 2013, 7:13:48 PM11/25/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Jordan,
Looks like Tomcat is having a problem when I stop/start the Railo service.  I have the following from the /railo/tomcat/logs/catalina.2013-11-25.log file:

Nov 25, 2013 12:07:32 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDirectory
INFO: Deploying web application directory C:\railo\tomcat\webapps\host-manager
Nov 25, 2013 12:07:32 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDirectory
INFO: Deploying web application directory C:\railo\tomcat\webapps\tomcat-docs
Nov 25, 2013 12:07:33 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDirectory
INFO: Deploying web application directory C:\railo\tomcat\webapps\tomcat-manager
Nov 25, 2013 12:07:33 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDirectory
INFO: Deploying web application directory C:\railo\tomcat\webapps\host-manager
Nov 25, 2013 12:07:33 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDirectory
SEVERE: Error deploying web application directory C:\railo\tomcat\webapps\host-manager
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: addChild:  Child name '/host-manager' is not unique
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:887)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:877)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:633)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory(HostConfig.java:1114)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployDirectory.run(HostConfig.java:1673)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Nov 25, 2013 12:07:33 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDirectory
INFO: Deploying web application directory C:\railo\tomcat\webapps\tomcat-docs
Nov 25, 2013 12:07:33 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDirectory
SEVERE: Error deploying web application directory C:\railo\tomcat\webapps\tomcat-docs
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: addChild:  Child name '/tomcat-docs' is not unique
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:887)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:877)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:633)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory(HostConfig.java:1114)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployDirectory.run(HostConfig.java:1673)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Nov 25, 2013 12:07:33 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDirectory
INFO: Deploying web application directory C:\railo\tomcat\webapps\tomcat-manager
Nov 25, 2013 12:07:33 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDirectory
SEVERE: Error deploying web application directory C:\railo\tomcat\webapps\tomcat-manager
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: addChild:  Child name '/tomcat-manager' is not unique
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:887)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:877)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:633)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory(HostConfig.java:1114)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployDirectory.run(HostConfig.java:1673)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Jordan Michaels

Nov 25, 2013, 7:22:50 PM11/25/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
None of those errors are critical. It's just preventing duplicate (which
is fine).

Warm Regards,
Jordan Michaels

Bilal

Nov 26, 2013, 10:04:36 AM11/26/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Dave,
can you check the .net framework version of the Application pool you are using for your second site.
Is it the same as for the first one?
If not can you make the second site match the first one?

Best,

Bilal

Dave Hatz

Nov 26, 2013, 9:21:07 PM11/26/13
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Bilal,
That was it.  App Default Pool was set to .NET2, changed it to 4 and we are in business.

Thanks for your help, support with Railo is outstanding.  Jordan, I also want to thank you too, much appreciated for all the support and suggestions.

Thanks again guys....
Dave