missing flex directory

Randy Heaps

Mar 12, 2014, 2:52:46 PM3/12/14
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Hello…

I have a new install of Railo 4.1.2 tomcat on Windows running IIS7. This is our first foray into using Railo as an alternative to ACF.

Everything seemed to be running as expected until I went to start our Flex application... all I get is "[object Object]" and it seems that flex/remoting is not configured by default (which I have now confirmed is the case).

I've searched the world-wide-web over to no avail. Tried a number of recommended things to "enable" flex with no success. From what I have gathered, I think there is supposed to be a \WEB-INF\flex directory next to the \WEB-INF\railo directory in each site… but there is not. I even created another test site to see if it would be created with a new \WEB-INF directory… but alas, no.

Getting 404 errors trying to go to /flex2gateway/ and /flashservices/ directories. Also getting a "HTTP Status 404 - Servlet MessageBrokerServlet is not available" on http://127.0.0.1:8888/flashservices/gateway/

I have looked at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/railo/1EkyzypxqW0 where it mentioned that "flash remoting is no longer enabled by default with new installs". So is there a set of instructions to enable it?

Any help/pointers would be appreciated,
Randy Heaps

IT Director
ACD Direct

Igal @ getRailo.org

Mar 12, 2014, 2:57:40 PM3/12/14
to ra...@googlegroups.com
there are 2 options here:

1) there is a setting in railo-server.xml

    <flex configuration="manual"/>

which can be modified to

    <flex configuration="xml"/>

then restart Railo

2) in Tomcat's /conf/web.xml see if the MessageBrokerServlet entry is commented out and uncomment it if so.  then restart Tomcat.
--
Did you find this reply useful? Help the Railo community and add it to the Railo Server wiki at https://github.com/getrailo/railo/wiki
---

Igal Sapir
Railo Core Developer
http://getRailo.org/

Randy Heaps

Mar 17, 2014, 6:35:08 PM3/17/14
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your reply Igal!

So if I did both of those things - and even after rebooting - I still get a 404 going to either http://10.10.1.53/flex2gateway/ or http://10.10.1.53/flashservices/gateway/, what else might I try? It did create the flex directory in the /WEB-INF folder in the site root. I also tried http://10.10.1.53:8888/flex2gateway/ (tomcat, no IIS) with both, but still 404s.

The railo-server.xml in the c:\railo\lib\railo-server\context directory, right?

Also there are now no comments in the MessageBroker servlet section of c:\railo\tomcat\conf\web.xml.
<servlet id="MessageBrokerServlet">
    <description>Railo Servlet for Flex Gateway</description>
    <servlet-name>MessageBrokerServlet</servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>flex.messaging.MessageBrokerServlet</servlet-class>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>services.configuration.file</param-name>
      <param-value>/WEB-INF/flex/services-config.xml</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>messageBrokerId</param-name>
      <param-value>_default_</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <load-on-startup>2</load-on-startup>
  </servlet>
    <!-- Mapping for Flex Gateway Servlet -->
    <servlet-mapping>
<servlet-name>MessageBrokerServlet</servlet-name>
<url-pattern>/flex2gateway/*</url-pattern>
<url-pattern>/flashservices/gateway/*</url-pattern>
<url-pattern>/messagebroker/*</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

Here is the specific error info from IIS:
> Detailed Error Information
> Module IIS Web Core
> Notification MapRequestHandler
> Handler StaticFile
> Error Code 0x80070002
> Physical Path D:\Inetpub\CallsWithoutWalls\flex2gateway\
> Logon Method Anonymous
> Logon User Anonymous
> Most likely causes:
> - The directory or file specified does not exist on the Web server.
> - The URL contains a typographical error.
> - A custom filter or module, such as URLScan, restricts access to the file.

Is there something I need to do in IIS to map the virtual directories? As a test, I added a virtual /flex2gateway directory and the error turned into a Tomcat 404 error...

I did add the 3 lines to the tomcat\conf\uriworkermap.properties. I have made no changes to the files in the \WEB-INF\flex directory.

Thanks,
Randy

Randy Heaps

Mar 25, 2014, 5:54:07 PM3/25/14
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Still looking for a kind soul to help me understand what I am missing with my flex config on Railo… even a pointer to some information would  be most appreciated. It could only be some little thing I am missing...

Thanks, Randy

Jordan Michaels

Mar 25, 2014, 6:04:34 PM3/25/14
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Looked into this a little for you, and I believe this is a config issue.

Check your catalina.out file (on windows it's named a little different,
but still starts with catalina...

C:\railo\tomcat\logs\

and see if there are any MessageBrokerServlet errors during startup.
That should point you in the right direction.

Warm Regards,
Jordan Michaels

On 03/25/2014 02:54 PM, Randy Heaps wrote:
> Still looking for a kind soul to help me understand what I am missing
> with my flex config on Railo… even a pointer to some information would
> be most appreciated. It could only be some little thing I am missing...
>
> Thanks, Randy
>
> On Monday, March 17, 2014 4:35:08 PM UTC-6, Randy Heaps wrote:
>
> Thank you for your reply Igal!
>
> So if I did both of those things - and even after rebooting - I
> still get a 404 going to either http://10.10.1.53/flex2gateway/
> <http://10.10.1.53/flex2gateway/> or
> http://10.10.1.53/flashservices/gateway/
> <http://10.10.1.53/flashservices/gateway/>, what else might I try?
> <http://10.10.1.53:80/flex2gateway/>
> > Physical PathD:\Inetpub\CallsWithoutWalls\flex2gateway\
> > Logon MethodAnonymous
> > Logon UserAnonymous
>> <http://mydomain.com/flex2gateway/> and /flashservices/
>> <http://mydomain.com/flashservices/gateway/> directories. Also
>> getting a "HTTP Status 404 - Servlet MessageBrokerServlet is
>> not available" on http://127.0.0.1:8888/flashservices/gateway/
>> <http://127.0.0.1:8888/flashservices/gateway/>.
>>
>> I have looked at
>> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/railo/1EkyzypxqW0
>> <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/railo/1EkyzypxqW0>
>> where it mentioned that "flash remoting is no longer enabled
>> by default with new installs". So is there a set of
>> instructions to enable it?
>>
>> Any help/pointers would be appreciated,
>> Randy Heaps
>>
>> IT Director
>> ACD Direct
>> --
>> Did you find this reply useful? Help the Railo community and
>> add it to the Railo Server wiki at
>> https://github.com/getrailo/railo/wiki
>> <https://github.com/getrailo/railo/wiki>
>> ---
>> Google Groups "Railo" group.
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/railo/ea26837d-f263-4327-be2c-05342dae8880%40googlegroups.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/railo/ea26837d-f263-4327-be2c-05342dae8880%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> Igal Sapir
> Railo Core Developer
> http://getRailo.org/
>
> --
> Did you find this reply useful? Help the Railo community and add it to
> the Railo Server wiki at https://github.com/getrailo/railo/wiki
> ---
> Groups "Railo" group.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/railo/0340880d-fb58-4b1f-89e4-672ea8a9b7dc%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/railo/0340880d-fb58-4b1f-89e4-672ea8a9b7dc%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jordan Michaels

Mar 25, 2014, 6:53:18 PM3/25/14
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Poking at this a bit more, are you getting:

"Exception: flex.messaging.config.ConfigurationException: Duplicate
service definition 'proxy-service'."

in your Tomcat catalina.out log after setting your Railo config to:
<flex configuration="xml"/>

?

That's what I'm getting. I know the messageBrokerId values have to be
unique so the automatic config may need some adjustment. Until then,
probably have to manually configure it.

Warm Regards,
Jordan Michaels

Randy Heaps

Mar 26, 2014, 8:22:19 PM3/26/14
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jordan,

Found this in c:\railo\tomcat\logs\catalina-2014-03-26.txt file
SEVERE: Servlet  threw load() exception
>javax.servlet.UnavailableException: MessageBroker already defined from MessageBrokerServlet with init parameter messageBrokerId = 'messageBroker1'
> at flex.messaging.MessageBrokerServlet.init(MessageBrokerServlet.java:170)
and
>SEVERE: Servlet  threw load() exception
>javax.servlet.UnavailableException: Configuration error encountered on line 41, column 5: 'The end-tag for element type "default-channels" must >end with a '>' delimiter.'
> at flex.messaging.MessageBrokerServlet.init(MessageBrokerServlet.java:170)
>…

Only place I could find "default-channels" was in the WEB-INF\flex\remoting-config.xml (in each context) with:
<!--channels>
    <channel ref="my-cfamf"/>
</channels-->
… but fixing didn't help…

I have the default website in C:\inetpub\wwwroot and also a second in D:\Inetpub\CWW\

I have updated the web.xml file in railo\tomcat\conf and also tried creating one in the WEB-INF with a diff messageBrokerID for the second site… can't see another way/info to create a config for a 2nd...

Thanks,
Randy
Message has been deleted

Randy Heaps

Mar 26, 2014, 10:18:17 PM3/26/14
to ra...@googlegroups.com
So apparently I had a 3rd context including the one in c:\railo\tomcat\webapps\ROOT (using the default) so by adding a another web.xml in the C:\Inetpub\wwwroot I am no longer getting the "MessageBroker already defined" error.

I am however still getting the "Configuration error, line 41, col 5" error… does ANYONE know which file this is in? It is NOT in WEB-INF\flex\services-config.xml nor remoting-config.xml (already removed comments from the <destination id="ColdFusion"><channels><channel> in all 3 contexts)...

So close...
Randy

Randy Heaps

Apr 1, 2014, 12:10:09 AM4/1/14
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Anyone know which file this would be in?

>SEVERE: Servlet  threw load() exception
>javax.servlet.UnavailableException: Configuration error encountered on line 41, column 5: 'The end-tag for element type "default-channels" must >end with a '>' delimiter.'

thanks!

Denny

Apr 1, 2014, 1:09:25 AM4/1/14
to ra...@googlegroups.com
On 03/31/2014 10:10 PM, Randy Heaps wrote:
> Anyone know which file this would be in?

Let us see what you already added, verbatim-- as I've got a hunch that
this error might be an herring, of the pinkish to red variety. ":)

:Denny

--
Railo Technologies: getrailo.com Professional Open Source
Skype: valliantster (505)510.1336 de...@getrailo.com

Randy Heaps

Apr 4, 2014, 4:28:37 PM4/4/14
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Found this in c:\railo\tomcat\logs\catalina-2014-00-04.txt file
>SEVERE: Servlet  threw load() exception
>javax.servlet.UnavailableException: Configuration error encountered on line 41, column 5: 'The end-tag for element type "default-channels" must >end with a '>' delimiter.'
> at flex.messaging.MessageBrokerServlet.init(MessageBrokerServlet.java:170)
>…

see attached WEB-INF\flex\*-config.xml in each context and web.xml file in the WEB-INF folder of each context (so each message broker has a unique id) … references to "default-channels" in messaging-config.xml and services-config.xml

Surely I am not the only one trying to reenable the now disabled-by-default flex config in Railo...

Thanks for your help,
Randy
services-config.xml
web.xml