version 2.1.3.007, getPageContext().forward()

Tom Lenz

Jan 20, 2010, 10:26:58 AM1/20/10
to ra...@googlegroups.com
I understood that with this version some problems with this routine would be fixed. However,

I just installed 2.1.3.007 and I'm still getting with this code:

<cfoutput>

    #Now()#
    <cfset getPageContext().forward("/graphics/logo.png")>

</cfoutput>

This output:
is true
is not true
#Now()#

Andrew Penhorwood

Jan 20, 2010, 9:46:30 PM1/20/10
to Tom Lenz
Tom,

I still have issues with the getPageContext().forward() routine on 3.1.2.007.  When trying to forward to another CFML page I get a stackoverflowerror.  Error message below.

Andrew Penhorwood

Railo 3.1.2.007 Error (Java.lang.stackoverflowerror) Message java.lang.StackOverflowError Stacktrace The Error Occurred in
 D:\$DevWebRoot\contextForward\index.cfm: line 1
1: <cfset getPageContext().forward("/landing.cfm")>

Java Stacktrace

java.lang.StackOverflowError at java.lang.String.startsWith(String.java:1450):1450 at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Dispatcher$ForwardAttributes.setAttribute(Dispatcher.java:455):455 at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Dispatcher$ForwardAttributes.removeAttribute(Dispatcher.java:495):495 at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Dispatcher$ForwardAttributes.setAttribute(Dispatcher.java:474):474 at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Dispatcher$ForwardAttributes.removeAttribute(Dispatcher.java:495):495 at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Dispatcher$ForwardAttributes.setAttribute(Dispatcher.java:474):474 at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Dispatcher$ForwardAttributes.removeAttribute(Dispatcher.java:495):495 at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Dispatcher$ForwardAttributes.setAttribute(Dispatcher.java:474):474 at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Dispatcher$ForwardAttributes.removeAttribute(Dispatcher.java:495):495 at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Dispatcher$ForwardAttributes.setAttribute(Dispatcher.java:474):474 at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Dispatcher$ForwardAttributes.removeAttribute(Dispatcher.java:495):495 at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Dispatcher$ForwardAttributes.setAttribute(Dispatcher.java:474):474 at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Dispatcher$ForwardAttributes.removeAttribute(Dispatcher.java:495):495 at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Dispatcher$ForwardAttributes.setAttribute(Dispatcher.java:474):474 at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Dispatcher$ForwardAttributes.removeAttribute(Dispatcher.java:495):495 at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Dispatcher$ForwardAttributes.setAttribute(Dispatcher.java:474):474 at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Dispatcher$ForwardAttributes.removeAttribute(Dispatcher.java:495):495
--
Best regards,
Andrew Penhorwood

Sean Corfield

Jan 20, 2010, 11:13:44 PM1/20/10
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Please create issues in JIRA with these reproducible test cases!

Thanx,
Sean

Tom Lenz

Jan 21, 2010, 1:02:06 AM1/21/10
to ra...@googlegroups.com

Sean Corfield

Jan 21, 2010, 1:52:23 AM1/21/10
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Thanx Tom!

That'll make sure it gets addressed.

BTW, this is also why the dev branch is bleeding edge and not suitable
for production - so bugs like this can be found early and fixed.

Tom Lenz

Jan 21, 2010, 2:13:53 AM1/21/10
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Assuming we do find a bug, and don't see anything in the group nor any
jira ticket on it, does Railo prefer that we bring it up on the group
first, or just submit a ticket?

Todd Rafferty

Jan 21, 2010, 5:50:29 AM1/21/10
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Both.

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 2:13 AM, Tom Lenz <astonis...@gmail.com> wrote:
Assuming we do find a bug, and don't see anything in the group nor any jira ticket on it, does Railo prefer that we bring it up on the group first, or just submit a ticket?

--
~Todd Rafferty ** Volunteer Railo Open Source Community Manager ** http://getrailo.org/

Michael Offner-Streit

Jan 21, 2010, 2:42:37 PM1/21/10
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew

can you please post the complete stacktrace, this part shows me only a loop inside jetty
from org.eclipse.jetty.server.Dispatcher$ForwardAttributes.removeAttribute to org.eclipse.jetty.server.Dispatcher$ForwardAttributes.setAttribute and back,
looks more like a issue in jetty

/micha

Michael Offner-Streit

Jan 21, 2010, 4:56:45 PM1/21/10
to ra...@googlegroups.com
we have solved the Problem for railo 3.1.2.008, it was only a issue with Jetty.
we have tested it with Jetty,Tomcat and Resin.

But there is a problem with forwarding to a image like you do in the example below, this does not work like expected, the respone has the wrong content type and the browser display the image as text output.
because this happens outside railo, we cannot  "fix" this.

/micha

Andrew Penhorwood

Jan 21, 2010, 8:17:12 PM1/21/10
to Michael Offner-Streit
Michael,

I saw your response after this one.  So I will not send a stack trace but I wanted to relay some more information and ask one question.  I have multiple installs of Jetty & Railo.  Some on client's equipment and some on my own servers.  On one of my dev installs the .007 release worked when I ran my forward test.  I am really perplexed now.  So I reran the test on the same hardware as yesterday to reproduce the stack trace.  I got a different error message this time around. Do I need to reboot the box to get an accurate test?  Seems like the results should be the same on each test.

Andrew Penhorwood

Sean Corfield

Jan 22, 2010, 2:47:12 AM1/22/10
to ra...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Andrew Penhorwood <and...@coldbits.com> wrote:
Seems like the results should be the same on each test.

It depends on the nature of the bug.

If the bug causes uninitialized memory to be referenced, the behavior could be different every time.

(this sort of thing is no longer obvious to programmers who don't have a low-level comp sci background - one of the big problems with the increasing level of abstraction in both programming languages and how they're taught - sorry, a bugbear of mine as an old-school comp sci guy... a *very* old-school, grey-haired guy :)
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies US -- http://getrailo.com/

-- Margaret Atwood

Tom Lenz

Jan 22, 2010, 2:59:18 AM1/22/10
to ra...@googlegroups.com
... a *very* old-school, grey-haired guy

I'm glad I'm not the only grey-haired guy around, what little's left is
grey anyway. Guess you could call me punch card old. Problems not
withstanding, I just love increased level of abstraction (and not having
to worry about dropping that stack of cards).

Michael Offner-Streit

Jan 22, 2010, 3:46:22 AM1/22/10
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew

yes i was able to reproduce this issue and fix it

/micha

Andrew Penhorwood

Jan 22, 2010, 8:19:12 AM1/22/10
to Railo
Thank you for working on this issue. Once I again I am very impressed
with the level of support from the Railo Team. I recommend Railo to
anyone that will listen.

Andrew Penhorwood

On Jan 22, 3:46 am, Michael Offner-Streit <michael.off...@railo.ch>
wrote:

> > *Railo 3.1.2.007 Error
> > (Java.lang.stackoverflowerror)* *Message* java.lang.StackOverflowError *Stacktrace* The
> > Error Occurred in
> >  *D:\$DevWebRoot\contextForward\index.cfm: line 1

> > 1: <cfset getPageContext().forward("/landing.cfm")>
>

> > Java Stacktrace*

> > /--
> > Best regards,
> > Andrew Penhorwood
> > and...@coldbits.com <mailto:and...@coldbits.com>
> >www.coldbits.com<http://www.coldbits.com>
> > 740-392-7141 office
> > 740-507-4634 cell/

> > -- Michael Offner-Streit CTO Railo Technologies

> > GmbHmichael.off...@railo.ch
> > <mailto:michael.off...@railo.ch>www.getrailo.com
> > in:http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/71368/0CF7D323BBC1Issue

> > /--
> > Best regards,
> > Andrew Penhorwood
> > and...@coldbits.com <mailto:and...@coldbits.com>
> >www.coldbits.com<http://www.coldbits.com>
> > 740-392-7141 office
> > 740-507-4634 cell/

> --
> Michael Offner-Streit
> CTO
> Railo Technologies GmbH

> michael.off...@railo.chwww.getrailo.com

Sean Corfield

Jan 22, 2010, 11:44:57 AM1/22/10
to ra...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 11:59 PM, Tom Lenz <astonis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm glad I'm not the only grey-haired guy around, what little's left is grey
> anyway. Guess you could call me punch card old.

Ah, now that was real computing! I had several projects early on in my
career where you wrote code out on special graph-like paper and sent
it down to the data entry folks to type in... and we did backups on
punched tape (not very reliable). And multi-user machines had just 4MB
RAM :)

> Problems not withstanding, I
> just love increased level of abstraction (and not having to worry about
> dropping that stack of cards).

True, the abstraction has been a boon - and OO and Functional
Programming styles have moved us a long way forward from procedural
style in terms of expressiveness and maintainability.

When I was at Macromedia, I was one of the oldest guys on the team.
That changed once Adobe bought Macromedia, of course...

I think I'm the oldest guy at Railo... I like being the old curmudgeon! :)

John C. Bland II

Jan 22, 2010, 11:52:39 AM1/22/10
to ra...@googlegroups.com
What's funny is my Grandpa was telling me stories about his old job back in the day. What was it? He "took these cards and had to punch holes in them then stick them in the computer for it to process them" to which I responded "you were a programmer?" haha

I guess I was destined to join the dev ranks. :-D

---
John C. Bland II
http://www.johncblandii.com
http://www.johnandseason.com
http://www.twitter.com/johncblandii
---
Suggested sites:
http://www.lifthimhigh.com - "Christian Products for Those Bold Enough to Wear Them"
http://www.sportsmatchmaker.com - "What are you doing today?"

AJ Mercer

Jan 23, 2010, 8:12:58 AM1/23/10
to ra...@googlegroups.com
my high school had card that you marked with pencil - one card per line.
Not so bad when you program is only 20 lines long.

At the same time my Dad built his own computer from an Electronics Australia magazine.
It had a key board and monitor (read black and white tv).

I am guessing my hair would be grey if it hadn't all fallen out first :-(
--
AJ Mercer
http://webonix.net