Help with isolated node scenario

Valeriano Tortola

Nov 30, 2015, 9:05:00 AM11/30/15
to raft-dev
Hi,

I do not fully understand what happens when a node gets partitioned and it is not accessible for a while

  • Consider nodes A, B, C.
  • A is the current leader of term 1.
  • Because a network issue, C is not reachable anymore.
  • A and B will continue working normally since they are majority.
  • However C cannot reach or be reached by anybody, so he starts its own election incrementing term to 2.
  • Network conditions are restored and C connects to the cluster again.
  • However C is rejecting A AppendEntries requests, since they indicate term 1 and his is 2 ( restriction 5.1)
  • C starts an election for term 3, but nobody votes him because its log is outdated.
  • C never gets to either become leader or follow the others.

It seems I have missed something, how would C join the other 3 and accepts entries from A?

Thanks.

Martin Hedenfalk

Nov 30, 2015, 9:24:34 AM11/30/15
to raft...@googlegroups.com
C's rejection of A's AppendEntries request includes term=2, which causes A to step down.

    .martin

Valeriano Tortola

Nov 30, 2015, 9:41:14 AM11/30/15
to raft-dev, mar...@bzero.se
Then A would step down and start a new election? Because cannot just become follower of a node that has not all the committed entries.

Thanks!

Martin Hedenfalk

Nov 30, 2015, 10:53:34 AM11/30/15
to Valeriano Tortola, raft-dev
A steps down when it sees C's higher term 2, and updates it's current term to 2. Then there will be normal elections in term 3 and above.

Valeriano Tortola

Dec 10, 2015, 10:49:37 AM12/10/15
to raft-dev, vtor...@gmail.com, mar...@bzero.se
Apologies for the delay and thanks!.