Question about removing the current leader

Xinjing Cho

Feb 8, 2015, 7:50:07 PM2/8/15
to raft...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, i'm currently implementing membership changes and have a little confusion.
Suppose the system does not implement leadership transfer and the leader is asked to be removed from the configuration,
after the new configuration entry is committed to the log, the current leader steps down.
My question is  how to handle entries appended by client after the config entry, simply drop them?

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Feb 9, 2015, 1:13:34 AM2/9/15
to Xinjing Cho, raft...@googlegroups.com
Yes, in the standard fashion that nodes do when they aren't the leader.

I'm not sure how you can _not_ implement leader transfer, though.

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811

Diego Ongaro

Feb 12, 2015, 7:25:53 PM2/12/15
to Xinjing Cho, Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien), raft...@googlegroups.com
Hi Xinjing,

Once the leader steps down, it'd stop accepting any new client
entries. Any that are in its log already are most likely not going to
get replicated ever, and those clients will have to retry with a more
suitable leader. I could also imagine a leader that's removing itself
might just start rejecting client requests right then and there, since
there's not much use in accepting them.

Oren, see 4.2.2 in my dissertation for how to not implement leadership
transfer and still handle membership changes. LogCabin currently does
it that way except with the old joint consensus style of membership
changes.

Best,
Diego