Reusing raft/node id

anshul...@docker.com

Aug 18, 2017, 3:03:39 PM8/18/17
to raft-dev
I''m wondering what the motivation is to avoid reusing raft/node ids within a raft group. Appreciate the help!

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Aug 18, 2017, 3:06:57 PM8/18/17
to raft...@googlegroups.com
Part of the topology is the last node id, and I make sure to increment it.
Otherwise, use Guid

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 10:03 PM, anshul.pundir via raft-dev <raft...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I''m wondering what the motivation is to avoid reusing raft/node ids within a raft group. Appreciate the help!

Henrik Ingo

Aug 20, 2017, 11:48:16 AM8/20/17
to raft...@googlegroups.com
If you added a node to the cluster with an id that already existed in the cluster, how could other nodes know that it's not the same node?

For example, it would break the Raft protocol if there were 2 different votes cast in an election, both from the same id. Replication of the log would probably break too.

henrik

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 10:03 PM, anshul.pundir via raft-dev <raft...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I''m wondering what the motivation is to avoid reusing raft/node ids within a raft group. Appreciate the help!

henri...@avoinelama.fi
+358-40-5697354        skype: henrik.ingo            irc: hingo
www.openlife.cc

My LinkedIn profile: http://fi.linkedin.com/pub/henrik-ingo/3/232/8a7