[Radio Officers, &c] Happy birthday Guglielmo Marconi

Juergen Gerpott

Apr 25, 2010, 3:42:20 AM4/25/10
to ROGoogle Googlegroups
On 25th April 1874 Guglielmo Marconi was born as second sun
of Giuseppe Marconi and his wife Annie Jameson of Ireland. He
and his elder brother Alfonso were the first ones who put together
all the knowledge or wireless known when they were young boys.
Guglielmo is the most enthusiast of the new technic and become
a work alcoholic on wireless. It was his dedication to become the
father of radio, even he was a young man.

Happy birthday!

Juergen - dl8hci - Marconista 691

Richard Monjure

Apr 25, 2010, 11:09:59 AM4/25/10
to radio-o...@googlegroups.com
But keep in mind, that when Marconi put together his practical
wireless after the turn of the century 1900, he was using many,
many of Nicola Tesla's patents.  (And he paid for them.)

Unlike the pig David Sarnoff, who STOLE FM from Howard
Armstong, and lost a patent infringement lawsuit in the mid-1960's
to the widow of Armstrong.

Stan Barr

Apr 25, 2010, 11:50:45 AM4/25/10
to radio-o...@googlegroups.com
Richard Monjure wrote:
> But keep in mind, that when Marconi put together his practical
> wireless after the turn of the century 1900, he was using many,
> many of Nicola Tesla's patents. (And he paid for them.)

I've just finished reading "A History of Wireless Telegraphy 1838-1899"
by John Joseph Fahie, a most interesting book. Being published in 1899
it is free from the modernist revisionism that has been a feature of
many later books! (Re-published by Elibron Classics, 2005)

--
Cheers and 73,
Stan Barr G0CLV G-QRP 3369 g0...@dsl.pipex.com

"Never leave well enough alone." - Raymond Loewy

Stan Barr

Apr 26, 2010, 3:46:31 AM4/26/10
to radio-o...@googlegroups.com
Stan Barr wrote:
> Richard Monjure wrote:
>> But keep in mind, that when Marconi put together his practical
>> wireless after the turn of the century 1900, he was using many,
>> many of Nicola Tesla's patents. (And he paid for them.)
>
> I've just finished reading "A History of Wireless Telegraphy 1838-1899"
> by John Joseph Fahie, a most interesting book. Being published in 1899
> it is free from the modernist revisionism that has been a feature of
> many later books! (Re-published by Elibron Classics, 2005)

D.J.J. Ring, Jr. suggested I forward the following private email to the
list as it might be of interest to others:

D.J.J. Ring, Jr. wrote:
> So Stan, tell us if what Mr. Monjure said was right or any comments
you might have from the book you have just read, thanks!

Well the book pre-dates Marconi's commercial venture so the question of
patents doesn't really get discussed. But it's quite clear that the
early pioneers freely shared information and often worked together.
For example one of Marconi's early setups consisted of a Righi exciter,
a Ruhmkorff coil and a morse key for the tx and a Branley-Lodge coherer
for the rx. But it took Marconi to bring it all together and make it
work. This was 1897.
In 1893 Tesla proposed a transmitter using vertical aerials connected to
a large conducting body, but: "Owing to press of other work this
experiment was never tried, and so has remained a bare suggestion."
The following year (1894) Lodge succeeded in transmitting a signal 150
yards but never followed it up. In all Lodge, Poppoff, Minchin and
Rutherford all pre-date, more or less, Marconi's successful system, but
in the end it's Marconi who made it into a practical means of
communication. IIRC Marconi himself always regarded Heinrich Hertz as
the father of wireless.

The bulk of the book is taken up with induction systems, aerial, through
the earth and through water.

These early books are fascinating...next on my list is "Examination of
the Telegraphic Apparatus and the Processes in Telegraphy" by Samuel
Finley Breese Morse, 1869.

Also recently read: "Wireless at Sea, The First Fifty Years" a Marconi
publication from 1950. The only advantage to being a bit poorly is
having the time to do all this reading!

Richard Monjure

Apr 26, 2010, 6:26:31 PM4/26/10
to radio-o...@googlegroups.com
CQ

It is entirely possible that I am wrong in what I said. Like someone said, it depends upon which book you read! Any corrections to what I said are certainly welcome... Constructive or not! I will surely take no offense.

Also, let's not forget Reginald Fessenden. I believe he was the
first man to put a human voice on a radio wave. (Correct me if I am wrong.

That was a long time ago in a different age. With time, things get lost in the shuffle and, as we know, the "victors" write the history books!

I teach a GMDSS class. In that class we discuss FM. I always ask my class two questions...

1) Who knows that FM was invented in 1934?

NO ONE has ever said they were aware of that. Even the "hams" who happen to come through the course. (They're always my WORST students.)

2) "Who knows the name of the man who invented FM?

NO ONE has ever been able to answer that, and it is
a shame. In the U.S., we've had postage stamps with
Elvis Presley (the dope-head) on them, we have pseudo-holidays like
"Martin Luther King Day" and "Secretaries Day."

BUT - There has never been as much as a postage stamp, or
a national holiday, to honor Edwin Howard Armstrong. (As
far as I know.)

That's how SICK the U.S.A. is.

73,
Rich Monjure

Thomas H. White

Apr 26, 2010, 7:48:43 PM4/26/10
to radio-o...@googlegroups.com
In 1983 -- back when a first class stamp was 20
cents -- the U.S issued a commemerative set for
"inventors" which included Charles Steinmetz,
Edwin Armstrong, Nikola Tesia and Philo T.
Farnsworth:

http://www.philatelicdatabase.com/united-states/us-1983-inventors-stamp-issue/

Richard Monjure

Apr 26, 2010, 9:27:44 PM4/26/10
to radio-o...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mr. White,

Thanks for the correction. I guess someone up there at the
U.S. Post Office DOES honor the great men!

73,
Rich Monjure

W6...@aol.com

Apr 27, 2010, 2:12:57 PM4/27/10
to radio-o...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rich -
    Yes, you are right about historical events.  Actually, FM was not first invented by anyone that I know of.  I can remember back when I was using crystal detectors, in those dear old dead days of long ago.  I received my best signals from any AM station who was modulating his RF oscillator transmitter by loop modulation by tuning my diode detector a little bit to either side of the carrier frequency to get the best received voice signal.  It also occurred if a VT triode oscillator, such as a Hartley, was being plate modulated!  That was FM overpowering the AM on both sides of the carrier frequency!  Although usually said to be AM, loop modulation was almost all FMI  Plate modulation of an oscillator only was probably mostly AM with only a little FM.  I wonder who was the first to recognize these as FM being generated on the RF oscillator's carrier?  Hi.
    73
        W6BNB/Bob