Creed: Kleinschmidt Tape/Reader/CW/Keyer

Lewis Masson

Oct 17, 2014, 6:41:48 PM10/17/14
to n1...@arrl.net
Oct 17  2014
To:  David Ring N1EA,
Hi David,
         My name is Lewis Masson  K1LJS. I used to work at WCC for 35 years and met you several times at the station.
What we are looking for is a reader/CW/Keyer which was fed with Kleinschmidt perforated tape. We used this keyer
for he vee slip, traffic lists, presse, etc. Bill Fishback used to call it a “CREED” so it may have been made by the
R G Creed company perhaps in Canada but not sure. We could probably use a Wheatstone, or a Boehme like they have
at KPH, but replacing with one like the original at WCC would be great. Do you remember if a CREED was used at WSC?
Would WSC happen to have a spare? Ed Moxon,  K1GGI has worked on the Kleinschmidt and it works perfectly so all we
need is a keyer  to be used with the Kleinschmidt. I was reading your account of the Prinzendam and your award of the
Marconi medal also your comments about CW being “the only way” FB.  I show he visitors verbatim copies of Marisat
failures and ships having to send their traffic by WCC/CW. One account where the Marisat was out for 2 months, how
about that. OK David, I won’t  trouble you any more but if you think some other coast station or such who  might have
a CREED, or a photograph of one, that would be great.
73
Lewis K1LJS

Paul Du Mesnil

Oct 17, 2014, 6:50:31 PM10/17/14
to radio-o...@googlegroups.com
Dave why don’t you give Lewis Spud’s e-mail adz? Maybe he might know where to find one.

Paul

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

Oct 17, 2014, 6:55:04 PM10/17/14
to Radio Officers &c
Paul,

I just made Lewis a member of this group.
Welcome my dear friend, Lewis.  You always went out of your way to be welcoming when I visited WCC and when I sent telex traffic to you.  I love WCC.

Spud, Reply either via the list or off list to Lewis.

73
DR

CLIVE COLLINS

Oct 17, 2014, 8:13:29 PM10/17/14
to radio-o...@googlegroups.com
Good evening David,
I have read the recent exchanges re Creed etc with interest having been closely involved with them on various Diplomatic Stations.May I suggest that an approach be made to the British Amateur Radio Teleprinter Group  (BARTG) who may well prove to be helpful in the search.  I have been looking for a creed 7B for my own use but they seem to have dried up at the moment. My last auto head, again by Creed, now resides in the Operations Centre of Bletchley Park following my donation to that very worthy cause.  They actually might have surplus spares there and an approach might bear fruit.I will put the word out here in UK but be prepared for frightening freight estimates to USA.
Additionally, spares will be a rare commodity these days most of the Creed stuff will be sixty to seventy years old now
All good wishes,

Clive GW3WEQ North Wales Coast UK

Oct 18, 2014, 5:48:28 AM10/18/14
to radio-o...@googlegroups.com
Just did

Spud
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to mailto:radio-officers%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Radio Officers" group.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/radio-officers.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/radio-officers/91DEEBA5C207489D98DF3243709869EE%40LewisHP.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Radio Officers" group.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/radio-officers.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/radio-officers/CC62EFF0EF314ABA8BDA61B188432033%40PaulPC.

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

Oct 21, 2014, 9:24:00 PM10/21/14
to Radio Officers &c
Lewis - and others:

I found this info on the Internet, it's another device that does the same thing.  It was used by US Navy.

CV-2015A (Teletype to Morse Converter). This converter is made by the Wiltec Corporation of Wilbut, Connecticut

73

DR