Members Area

Robert Cotey

Aug 18, 2013, 10:55:17 AM8/18/13
to radia...@googlegroups.com
Is there a plugin that I can use to restrict access to view pages, only if your in a certain group? I have tried Reader and I haven't been able to get it cleanly install. RBAC seems like a maybe but again, doesn't seem like a good fit.

I would like to make a section that is public facing and a section that requires "membership". It's seems like this should be stupidly common, but I can't seem to find a working extension. That said, it also seems like Radiant is about 3 years (or more) behind everything else. I don't have a problem with that, I'm just hoping I didn't fall in love with a dead project that no one supports.

Jim Gay

Aug 18, 2013, 10:36:36 PM8/18/13
to radia...@googlegroups.com
You might be able to find something here:
http://ext.radiantcms.org/search?q=members
http://ext.radiantcms.org/search?q=password

Or at least get some ideas for how you can implement it.

Radiant is out of date, but we're working on it. I still love it and
it's still getting attention.
> --
>
> ---

Write intention revealing code #=> http://www.clean-ruby.com

Jim Gay
Saturn Flyer LLC
571-403-0338

Robert Cotey

Aug 19, 2013, 11:18:05 AM8/19/13
to radia...@googlegroups.com
Thank's for the input but I have tried most of those. Simple_password is the only working choice, and it's simple. If I could have multiple users in there I would be OK with that. But so far I can't figure it out. Spreedly may work, I'm not sure, it's not what I want. The others are just broken in the current version of radiant.

Thanks again for the input but I'm afraid I may still need more suggestions.

Benny Degezelle

Aug 20, 2013, 9:14:53 AM8/20/13
to radia...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

I remembered and found a fork of simple_password that enables having multiple users.
You can find it here:

Just judging from that network graph, it looks like you will have to patch it to work with radiant 1. (requiring application_controller i.o. application)
Again just from looking at the network; if simple_password still works in radiant 1, then so should not_so_simple_password except for the aforementioned patch.

Regards,
Benny

Robert Cotey

Aug 21, 2013, 10:08:50 AM8/21/13
to radia...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your assistance.  I have given up on using the radiant project as it stands. I think it is one of the most promising CMS systems around, but that it just hasn't been maintained in a useful manor.

In short, as a full time ruby on rails developer it is much easier for me to roll my own system, and add in the features I want then it is to patch these current extensions and so on to get "close to what I want."

I think Radiant was a super important part of making rails what is is today, but my hope for it was to launch a simple, maintenance free site that required less work to get running then building my own from scratch. This was accomplished for a public facing site, that just held content, but now that I need a feature not in core, it's just not the right tool for the job.

While this is a "Radiant" problem, I do not think it's a problem with radiant. I think the rails bar has been lowered enough for me (and many other developers) to the point that it's simpler to "roll your own" then to fix dated extensions. This is perhaps why so many of the extensions are out of date. For example Making a CMS from scratch that has the features I want for this hobby project, 10-15 hours. I have spent close to that already, looking for extensions, and trying to get other extensions (not just member login) to work. And Simple password while it would technically "do what I need it to" is still just http auth, and not a full session.

I think radiant is a project to keep my eye on, and be aware of, but right now adding a gem to a gem file and bundle installing is easier then installing an extension, and instead of a system that I have to train my self to use, I can just use all my rails in a new system with less effort.

All of that said, I do still think radiant has a place for CMS based content, where all of your features are "core" features, or are in supported plugins. Sadly that is just not the case in this instance.

Thank you again for your help, don't taking my ranting to negatively. I think radiant is a great project, and certainly one of historical importance. Just not a good fit for me personally in the place I wanted to use it.

Dean Satchell

Jan 5, 2015, 4:47:52 PM1/5/15
to radia...@googlegroups.com
We're using Readers extension on Radiant 1.1.4 and it is a suitable extension for doing what you require. We've been using it since Radiant 0.8, it's flawless and all credit to William Ross. Should this topic really be about why you are having trouble installing the readers extension? Or possibly discussing the shortfalls of extensions in general?