Upgrade Very Old Radiant Site?

David Alan Hjelle

Oct 15, 2017, 11:25:25 AM10/15/17
to Radiant CMS
Hi!

I have a pair of Radiant websites that have largely just been chugging along for the past 7+ years, which has been great! But my hosting provider will be upgrading Ubuntu (12.04.5 LTS to 14.04.5 LTS) and Ruby (1.8.7 to 1.9.3) in two weeks, and recommends I change from "frozen" gems to "bundler".

It has been so long that I'm not even sure how best to figure out what version of Radiant or Rails I'm currently running! I think I'm on 0.7.x or 0.8.x from the gems I saw in `.gems/gems`, but I'm not strictly positive.

Questions:

  • I know Radiant is pretty stalled as a project. Does it make sense to find another solution now? Or can I get another 6 years on Ruby 1.9.3 and then search for an alternative?
    • (Speaking of which…there doesn't happen to be any sort of script to port content and them to another CMS, is there?)
  • How can I upgrade to the latest radiant? I appear to be using the outdated "frozen" gems and need to update to Bundler. I know this consists of making a Gemfile, and I saw a suggested one here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/radiantcms/Qxc4x7Tde1c
  • Any other tips/tutorials/links/whatever that might be useful would be wonderful!
Thanks for any help you might give!

David

Michael Noack

Oct 17, 2017, 3:53:53 PM10/17/17
to Radiant CMS
Check out the latest release of radiant 1.1.4 (September 2013)
https://rubygems.org/gems/radiant
That uses 1.9 fine and will at least keep you going with hopefully "little effort". Of course long-term we too are moving away from radiant one site at a time.

Yes, you'll want to build a gemfile and many radiant extensions have a gem published.

Refinery is a well known ruby CMS and has seemed to be fairly up to date.

PS. I do maintain a production radiant site and have kept it running, migrating for us is too expensive and risky, but a smaller site might be easier.