Why I'm unable to connect to node?

Nikita Black

Sep 4, 2014, 10:17:13 AM9/4/14
to rabbitm...@googlegroups.com
Hello. I'm an absolute beginner. I'm a client developer, so I don't know much about server stuff. In my company there's a department that manages rabbitmq servers, but for testing I want to use it on my local machine. Is it possible at all? I installed rabbitmq for windows (win 7), installed erlang. I didn't do any configuration simply I don't know where to start. I just run rabbitmqctl status and get:

Status of node 'rabbit@WS-6GYP022' ...
Error: unable to connect to node 'rabbit@WS-6GYP022': nodedown

DIAGNOSTICS
===========

attempted to contact: ['rabbit@WS-6GYP022']

rabbit@WS-6GYP022:
  * connected to epmd (port 4369) on WS-6GYP022
  * epmd reports: node 'rabbit' not running at all
                  other nodes on WS-6GYP022: ['RabbitMQ']
  * suggestion: start the node

current node details:
- node name: 'rabbitmqctl400221@WS-6GYP022'
- home dir: Z:\
- cookie hash: 3ePVXm8NmdnVDpOBgNYThA==

I absolutelly have no clue what is this. I spent much time googling, but couldn't find a solution. But what I see is that epmd (don't know what is it) have a node (the same thing - don't know what is it) with a name 'RabbitMQ', i.e. different from what is used with rabbitmqctl (but why?). Ok, I'm trying rabbitmqctl -n RabbitMQ@WS-6GYP022 status and get:

Status of node 'RabbitMQ@WS-6GYP022' ...
Error: {undef,[{rabbit,status,[],[]},
               {rpc,'-handle_call_call/6-fun-0-',5,
                    [{file,"rpc.erl"},{line,205}]}]}

Can somebody please help me and explain all this basic things? Thank you.

Michael Klishin

Sep 4, 2014, 11:05:31 AM9/4/14
to rabbitm...@googlegroups.com, Nikita Black

On 4 September 2014 at 18:17:20, Nikita Black (mynameisn...@gmail.com) wrote:
> > I'm a client developer, so I don't know much about server stuff.
> In my company there's a department that manages rabbitmq servers,
> but for testing I want to use it on my local machine. Is it possible
> at all?

It is.

> I just run rabbitmqctl status and get:
>
> > Status of node 'rabbit@WS-6GYP022' ...
> > Error: unable to connect to node 'rabbit@WS-6GYP022': nodedown
> >
> > DIAGNOSTICS
> > ===========
> >
> > attempted to contact: ['rabbit@WS-6GYP022']
> >
> > rabbit@WS-6GYP022:
> > * connected to epmd (port 4369) on WS-6GYP022
> > * epmd reports: node 'rabbit' not running at all
> > other nodes on WS-6GYP022: ['RabbitMQ']
> > * suggestion: start the node
> >
> > current node details:
> > - node name: 'rabbitmqctl400221@WS-6GYP022'
> > - home dir: Z:\
> > - cookie hash: 3ePVXm8NmdnVDpOBgNYThA==

How did you install RabbitMQ? Have you started the service?

This means that rabbitmqctl managed to contact epmd (the daemon that manages
Erlang node communication) but RabbitMQ isn't running.

> I spent much time googling,
> but couldn't find a solution. But what I see is that epmd (don't
> know what is it) have a node (the same thing - don't know what is
> it) with a name 'RabbitMQ', i.e. different from what is used with
> rabbitmqctl (but why?). Ok, I'm trying rabbitmqctl -n RabbitMQ@WS-6GYP022
> status and get:
>
> > Status of node 'RabbitMQ@WS-6GYP022' ...
> > Error: {undef,[{rabbit,status,[],[]},
> > {rpc,'-handle_call_call/6-fun-0-',5,
> > [{file,"rpc.erl"},{line,205}]}]}

What makes you believe you need to pass the node argument exactly?
The last error message basically says the same thing: RabbitMQ is not started.

Take a look at http://www.rabbitmq.com/install-windows.html which
describes how to start the service. Inspecting log files may give you a clue, too,
see http://www.rabbitmq.com/relocate.html to determine their location on your system.

There's also http://www.rabbitmq.com/windows-quirks.html.
--
MK

Nikita Black

Sep 4, 2014, 11:37:13 AM9/4/14
to rabbitm...@googlegroups.com, mynameisn...@gmail.com
Thank you. I uninstalled erlang and rabbitmq and followed the instructions (actually I followed them before). But this time I installed erlang 32bit (my system is 64) and both epmd and rmq are in Program Files (x86) folder (previously they were in different folders). Now everything works.

Michael Klishin

Sep 4, 2014, 11:55:47 AM9/4/14
to Nikita Black, rabbitm...@googlegroups.com
Interesting. Would you mind me asking for the exact paths in both cases?

MK

Nikita Black

Sep 4, 2014, 12:00:17 PM9/4/14
to rabbitm...@googlegroups.com, mynameisn...@gmail.com, mic...@rabbitmq.com
It was
C:\Program Files (x86)\RabbitMQ Server
C:\Program Files\erl6.1
So I assume that rmq was 32bit while epmd 64.

Now both in
C:\Program Files (x86)