Heavyside function

daniel...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2016, 5:00:11 AM11/21/16
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Hi!

Is there any way to use pulses as time-dependent coefficients for the mesolve function?

I know, of couse, that I can define a function and use [H,func] for that. But somehow, this cannot reproduce the physical behavior of the system I am simlating.

The string based approach ([H,'sin(w*t)']) does work. But unfortunately, this is not pulsed. Does anybody know a way to implement pulses in the String-approach?

Best Regards
Daniel

Paul Nation

Nov 21, 2016, 7:53:36 AM11/21/16
to QuTiP Group

Of course you are free to define a pulse shape in the string format.  However, the Heavyside function is not a smooth function and will lead to some strange results due to the discontinuity.  You would be better off using a smooth and continuous approximation to it.