installation of QuTip on fodera-linux

ta95....@gmail.com

Nov 2, 2016, 3:39:32 AM11/2/16
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Hi, I've installed Fedora Linux. But I am not familiar with this operating system. I want to install QuTip on this operating system installed on it. What commands should be enter in the terminal(command lines)?

Pu ZHANG

Nov 2, 2016, 4:04:23 AM11/2/16
to qu...@googlegroups.com
If you don't mind installing another set of python and its packages, you could consider Anoconda distribution of python. The distribution already integrates packages like the basic ones required by QuTiP. Then based on these it's pretty easy to get QuTiP installed.

Best regards, Pu Zhang

--
Faculty at School of Physics, Huazhong University of Science and Technology
Room 819 (N.), Yifu Science and Technology Building

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 3:39 PM, <ta95....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, I've installed Fedora Linux. But I am not familiar with this operating system. I want to install QuTip on this operating system installed on it. What commands should be enter in the terminal(command lines)?

Muhammad Saad

Nov 2, 2016, 6:50:47 AM11/2/16
to qu...@googlegroups.com
Make sure that python2-numpy or python3-numpy are installed, depending on whether you want to use Python 2 or 3. You will also need Cython (Cython or python3-Cython).
I prefer Fedora's own repository if the packages are available there.
dnf install python2-numpy Cython    # For Python 2
dnf install python3-numpy python3-Cython    # For Python 3
I remember having to install the development headers for something but I can't recall what exactly right now. May be it was numpy-devel? We'll figure out from the output you get if you get stuck somewhere.

Finally you install QuTiP via PIP.
pip install qutip    # For Python 2
pip3 install qutip    # For Python 3

Note that PIP will automatically pull in any dependencies like NumPy and Cython if you skip everything else and simply do a pip install qutip. But then later some other package may pull in NumPy or Cython as a dependency via DNF, which may cause issues by overwriting the already installed version (or may be I'm just being paranoid here). So my preferred way is to install via dnf what's available there before I try pip.

ta95....@gmail.com

Nov 6, 2016, 2:20:10 PM11/6/16
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Pu and Muhammad,thanks a lot