Windows Installations

Alex Pitchford

Oct 23, 2015, 12:32:05 PM10/23/15
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Please use this thread to discuss problems with and solutions to installing QuTiP on MS Windows

Free free to start a new thread if there is some specific issue.

Alex Pitchford

Oct 23, 2015, 12:49:57 PM10/23/15
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Most people are currently having success with the following the recipe.

1. Install Anaconda for 'all users'.

2. Run the following command from ``cmd.exe`` or PowerShell::

    > conda install mingw libpython

3. Add the following content to the file `C:/Anaconda/Lib/distutils/distutils.cfg` (or create the file if it does not already exists)::

    [build]
    compiler = mingw32

    [build_ext]
    compiler = mingw32

4. Obtain the QuTiP source code and install it by running
    > python setup.py install

This recipe has been found successful with various combinations of Windows 7, 8, 10 64bit. Using Anaconda 2.2.0 and 2.3.0 Python 2.7

Alex Pitchford

Oct 23, 2015, 12:59:49 PM10/23/15
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
I have experienced problems installing on Windows 7 64bit using the Anaconda recipe.
The problem occurs during the tests when it gets to the 'Entropy: Mutual information' test, when Python27.exe crashes.
Most of the tests complete without error.

However, others have installed on Windows 7 64bit without finding this issue.

Joe Bowen

Oct 28, 2015, 7:27:06 AM10/28/15
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Trying to install QuTiP on Win 7 64 bit. Was receiving the error:

 ImportError: DLL load failed: A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed.\n qutip

   This was with Anaconda 64 bit and Python 2.7 and following the official installation instructions.

I managed to install today with the following steps.

(I).   Remove anaconda and install Anaconda 32 bit.
(II).  Install mingw32 bit.
(III). Add to the path with:
           >setx PATH "PATH%;C:\MinGW\bin"
(IV). Add/modify the distutils.cfg file as in official instructions.
(V).  Obtain libpython:
           >conda install mingw libpython
(VI). Install QuTiP:
           >pip install QuTiP
           >pip install qutip --install-option=--with-f90mc
        Whichever you decide, I tested without the Fortran MC solver.

This worked for me, I am guessing that it would also work for Anaconda 32 bit and python2.7.

Alex Pitchford

Feb 12, 2016, 4:32:12 AM2/12/16
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
The installing of mingw 32 bit would seem like an unnecessary step if installing mingw in Anaconda.
In fact it is likely to confuse things, so I would avoid it

btw I found today that you can use 'where' in Windows like 'which' in linux. As in
$ where gcc
will report the file that is run when gcc is used.
You want this to be in with the Anaconda branch of your file system.

Alex Pitchford

Feb 12, 2016, 4:34:22 AM2/12/16
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
A few people have found issues with installing qutip into Anaconda when the directory path contains a space.
For instance if your user name contains a space, the path to your home folder will have a space in it.
If so, then install for 'all users'

timothy.s...@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2016, 7:06:28 PM6/14/16
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
So I got it working with the anaconda recipe. However I get 25 errors and 7 skips in the testing, however they all appear to be caused by this error:
RuntimeError:
            Attempt to start a new process before the current process
            has finished its bootstrapping phase.

            This probably means that you are on Windows and you have
            forgotten to use the proper idiom in the main module:

                if __name__ == '__main__':
                    freeze_support()

            The "freeze_support()" line can be omitted if the program
            is not going to be frozen to produce a Windows executable.

I've not seen anyone else post with this occurrence, was wondering if there are any suggestions on if this can be fixed or if my only option is to try 32bit Anaconda 2.2.0, as I'm on 64bit.
I tried python(xy) without success already, and python 3 was an abject failure.

royta...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2016, 9:00:45 AM7/6/16
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
I had success installing QuTiP on my Windows 10 64bit computer with the following steps. I used "Anaconda2-4.1.0-Windows-x86_64.exe". The 32 bit version lead to same result.

Step 1: Install Anaconda 4.1.0 for all users.

Step 2: Open cmd.exe and execute the following command:

> conda install mingw libpython

Step 3: Modify the file C:/Anaconda2/Lib/distutils/distutils.cfg ( it was already existing in my case ) to have the following text:

[build]
compiler = mingw32

[build_ext]
compiler = mingw32

Step 4: Install qutip by running the following command

> python -m pip install qutip

Step 5: After the installation was finished type the following in the python environment:

>>> import qutip.testing as qt
>>> qt.run()

In my case output was:

---------------------
Ran 320 tests in 441.955s

FAILED (SKIP=7, errors=3, failures=1)
--------------------------------

And following were the errors:

ERROR: correlation: comparing me and mc for driven oscillator in ground state
ERROR: Monte-carlo: Time-dependent H (str format)
ERROR: mesolve: time-dependence as string list
FAIL: Superoperator: Randomized comparison of standard and reference

Not sure how to fix them.

P.S. I tried various other combinations and none of them worked, e.g. Python(X,Y), Anaconda3, Enthought Canopy and even manual installation of required python packages.

Timothy Wray

Jul 6, 2016, 12:02:06 PM7/6/16
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python, royta...@gmail.com
I'm not 100% because you haven't actually posted the errors the tests generated, but I think these are the same errors I got in my Ubuntu installation that are fixed by downloading the latest development version of QuTiP from git.

tan

Jul 7, 2016, 3:03:40 PM7/7/16
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Thanks Timothy, your suggestion worked. Those errors vanished when I used the latest version (3.2.0.dev-) from github.

toby.e....@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2016, 6:58:59 AM7/25/16
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Just to help anyone out still having problems; conda doesn't currently have libpython for 3.5 and I ran into several issues trying to compile it, so if you're using a newer version of anaconda3, you can get qutip to work (assuming you don't need any 3.5-specific feature) by creating a 3.4 environemnt and using that:

conda create -n py34 python=3.4 anaconda

activate py34

conda install mingw libpython

python -m pip install qutip

If you're using spyder, you can then use a batch file to launch spyder automatically in the 3.4 environment:

activate py34 & spyder

toby.e....@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2016, 7:00:00 PM8/2/16
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
I've just found this link http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/ which is a collection of wheel files built for Windows by Christoph Gohlke, which includes QuTiP for 2.7, 3.4, and 3.5 (only 3.2.0.dev available), and makes the process far easier and less error prone.

nonher...@gmail.com

Aug 4, 2016, 8:40:04 AM8/4/16
to qu...@googlegroups.com
Yes, but I don't think that the time-dependent Hamiltonian generation works for his py35 version.

On Aug 2, 2016, at 16:24, toby.e....@gmail.com wrote:

I've just found this link http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/ which is a collection of wheel files built for Windows by Christoph Gohlke, which includes QuTiP for 2.7, 3.4, and 3.5 (only 3.2.0.dev available), and makes the process far easier and less error prone.

toby.e....@gmail.com

Aug 5, 2016, 2:52:27 PM8/5/16
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
I just tested (not extensively) and time-dependent Hamiltonian generation 'seems' to be working for me. I have issues with qutip under windows anyway which I've resigned myself to (compiling with gcc or vc++ under py34), but I've not found anything that doesn't work in his version that works in one I've built under py34; although I have only had his version for a couple of days. If you have a particular example you don't believe will work under his version, I'd be happy to test though.

pa...@secular.me.uk

Aug 11, 2016, 10:55:01 PM8/11/16
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python, royta...@gmail.com
I have the same problem. However, I would prefer not to install a version still in development. For reference, here is my platform info:

QuTiP Version: 3.1.0

Numpy Version: 1.11.1

Scipy Version: 0.17.1

Cython Version: 0.24

Matplotlib Version: 1.5.1

Fortran mcsolver: False

scikits.umfpack: False

Python Version: 2.7.12

Platform Info: Windows (AMD64)

Installation path: C:\Anaconda2\lib\site-packages\qutip

And here are the errors (and failure). Any thoughts? Thanks!

ERROR: correlation: comparing me and mc for driven oscillator in ground state

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "C:\Anaconda2\lib\site-packages\nose\case.py", line 197, in runTest

self.test(*self.arg)

File "C:\Anaconda2\lib\site-packages\qutip\tests\test_correlation.py", line 122, in test_compare_solvers_coherent_state_memc

solver="mc")[0]

File "C:\Anaconda2\lib\site-packages\qutip\correlation.py", line 238, in correlation_2op_2t

solver=solver, args=args, options=options)

File "C:\Anaconda2\lib\site-packages\qutip\correlation.py", line 1091, in _correlation_2t

args=args, options=options)

File "C:\Anaconda2\lib\site-packages\qutip\correlation.py", line 1297, in _correlation_mc_2t

1j*c_tau[1] + 1j*c_tau[3])

TypeError: ufunc 'add' output (typecode 'O') could not be coerced to provided output parameter (typecode 'D') according to the casting rule ''same_kind''

ERROR: Monte-carlo: Time-dependent H (str format)

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "C:\Anaconda2\lib\site-packages\nose\case.py", line 197, in runTest

self.test(*self.arg)

File "C:\Anaconda2\lib\site-packages\qutip\tests\test_mcsolve.py", line 362, in test_TDStr

ntraj=ntraj)

File "C:\Anaconda2\lib\site-packages\qutip\mcsolve.py", line 274, in mcsolve

_mc_func_load(config)

File "C:\Anaconda2\lib\site-packages\qutip\mcsolve.py", line 1001, in _mc_func_load

exec(code, globals())

File "<string>", line 1, in <module>

File "C:\Anaconda2\lib\site-packages\pyximport\pyximport.py", line 445, in load_module

language_level=self.language_level)

File "C:\Anaconda2\lib\site-packages\pyximport\pyximport.py", line 234, in load_module

exec("raise exc, None, tb", {'exc': exc, 'tb': tb})

File "C:\Anaconda2\lib\site-packages\pyximport\pyximport.py", line 216, in load_module

inplace=build_inplace, language_level=language_level)

File "C:\Anaconda2\lib\site-packages\pyximport\pyximport.py", line 192, in build_module

reload_support=pyxargs.reload_support)

File "C:\Anaconda2\lib\site-packages\pyximport\pyxbuild.py", line 102, in pyx_to_dll

dist.run_commands()

File "C:\Anaconda2\lib\distutils\dist.py", line 953, in run_commands

self.run_command(cmd)

File "C:\Anaconda2\lib\distutils\dist.py", line 972, in run_command

cmd_obj.run()

File "C:\Anaconda2\lib\site-packages\Cython\Distutils\build_ext.py", line 164, in run

_build_ext.build_ext.run(self)

File "C:\Anaconda2\lib\distutils\command\build_ext.py", line 339, in run

self.build_extensions()

File "C:\Anaconda2\lib\site-packages\Cython\Distutils\build_ext.py", line 172, in build_extensions

self.build_extension(ext)

File "C:\Anaconda2\lib\distutils\command\build_ext.py", line 498, in build_extension

depends=ext.depends)

File "C:\Anaconda2\lib\distutils\ccompiler.py", line 574, in compile

self._compile(obj, src, ext, cc_args, extra_postargs, pp_opts)

File "C:\Anaconda2\lib\distutils\cygwinccompiler.py", line 166, in _compile

raise CompileError, msg

ImportError: Building module rhs70047 failed: ["CompileError: command 'c:\\\\mingw\\\\bin\\\\gcc.exe' failed with exit status 1\n"]

ERROR: mesolve: time-dependence as string list

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "C:\Anaconda2\lib\site-packages\nose\case.py", line 197, in runTest

self.test(*self.arg)

File "C:\Anaconda2\lib\site-packages\qutip\tests\test_mesolve.py", line 432, in testMETDDecayAsStrList

medata = mesolve(H, psi0, tlist, c_op_list, [a.dag() * a], args=args)

File "C:\Anaconda2\lib\site-packages\qutip\mesolve.py", line 270, in mesolve

progress_bar)

File "C:\Anaconda2\lib\site-packages\qutip\mesolve.py", line 619, in _mesolve_list_str_td

[...]

ImportError: Building module rhs70049 failed: ["CompileError: command 'c:\\\\mingw\\\\bin\\\\gcc.exe' failed with exit status 1\n"]

FAIL: Superoperator: Randomized comparison of standard and reference

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "C:\Anaconda2\lib\site-packages\nose\case.py", line 197, in runTest

self.test(*self.arg)

File "C:\Anaconda2\lib\site-packages\qutip\tests\test_superoper.py", line 184, in testLiouvillianImplem

assert_((L1 - L2).norm() < 1e-8)

File "C:\Anaconda2\lib\site-packages\numpy\testing\utils.py", line 75, in assert_

raise AssertionError(smsg)

AssertionError

Ran 320 tests in 1303.183s

FAILED (SKIP=7, errors=3, failures=1)

nonher...@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2016, 12:33:34 AM8/12/16
to qu...@googlegroups.com
The latest dev version is actually what you want. Many bug fixes since 3.1.

-Paul

pa...@secular.me.uk

Aug 14, 2016, 8:45:17 PM8/14/16
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Hi Paul, thanks for your reply.

What's the best way to upgrade from one version of QuTip (i.e. the latest release) to a new one (i.e. the latest dev version)?

I ask as I am a bit nervous about this since it took me days just to get QuTip installed at all on my Windows 7 box in the first place! Ended up using 32-bit Anaconda and 32-bit MingW instead of 64-bit Python.

Thanks again!
Message has been deleted

zhangj...@gmail.com

Aug 26, 2016, 4:59:23 AM8/26/16
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Hi. I am installing QUTIP on my win7(64) with anaconda-4.1.1 python-2.7 version. After running the test, there is something wrong.

Here is the problem:

FAIL: control.pulseoptim: Hadamard and QFT gate with linear initial pulses
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Anaconda2\lib\site-packages\nose\case.py", line 197, in runTest
    self.test(*self.arg)
  File "C:\Anaconda2\lib\site-packages\qutip-3.2.0.dev0_-py2.7-win-amd64.egg\qutip\tests\test_control_pulseoptim.py", line 159, in test_1_unitary
    err_msg="Unitary gradient outside tolerance")
  File "C:\Anaconda2\lib\site-packages\numpy\testing\utils.py", line 537, in assert_almost_equal
    raise AssertionError(_build_err_msg())
AssertionError:
Arrays are not almost equal to 7 decimals Unitary gradient outside tolerance
 ACTUAL: 5.2530075151669027e-08
 DESIRED: 0.0
Ran 453 tests in 1609.713s
FAILED (SKIP=13, failures=1)

installing information is

QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Copyright (c) 2011 and later.
Alexander Pitchford, Chris Granade, Paul D. Nation & Robert J. Johansson

QuTiP Version:      3.2.0.dev0+
Numpy Version:      1.11.1
Scipy Version:      0.17.1
Cython Version:     0.24
Matplotlib Version: 1.5.1
Python Version:     2.7.12
Number of CPUs:     2
BLAS Info:          INTEL MKL
INTEL MKL Ext:      True
Platform Info:      Windows (AMD64)
Installation path:  C:\Anaconda2\lib\site-packages\qutip-3.2.0.dev0_-py2.7-win-amd64.egg\qutip

Dose anyone know how to fix this? many thanks

Alex Pitchford

Dec 7, 2016, 6:00:50 AM12/7/16
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python, zhangj...@gmail.com
This problem seems only to occur only on windows. I should not let it concern you.  think you will find everything works as expected. Looks like I just need to relax the test a little. I am really not sure why the calc on windows is not the same.
Message has been deleted

Alex Pitchford

Dec 7, 2016, 6:41:40 AM12/7/16
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
After spending many hours (again) trying to install QuTiP on Windows 10 under Anaconda Python, we found that the mingw compiler did not work for Python 2.7, 3.4 or 3.5. We did however find that the mingwpy package from the conda-forge did compile the qutip extensions. This seemed to work with Python 2.7 & 3.4, but not 3.5. During the tests there were a lot of warnings and some errors, however looked like the majority of the functions were working.

If you have already installed the mingw and libpython conda packages, then you will want to the remove them first, then install mingwpy using:

conda install -c conda-forge mingwpy

This will overwrite the distutil.cfg, so you'll find you have to edit this to include the build_ext setting.
File: <path_to_your_anaconda_env>/Lib/distutils/distutils.cfg
should contain:
[build]
compiler=mingw32
[build_ext]
compiler=mingw32

rugus...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2016, 12:46:03 AM12/9/16
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
I made a manual for installing qutip to Windows7 or 10. It is a step by step guide.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0aU1cyYvScPeVdtUmttY0JBeVU/view?usp=sharing

2015年10月24日土曜日 1時32分05秒 UTC+9 Alex Pitchford:

tamador alboshra

Dec 18, 2016, 5:22:19 AM12/18/16
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python

tamador alboshra

Dec 18, 2016, 5:47:29 AM12/18/16
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python

At first,I have encountered several problems while downloading Qutip, but I was able to resolve them:

I am using windows 8 - 64 bits

Those my steps:

-          1)  First download python(x,y) with a version 2.7.9 or less. I tried to use 2.7.10 and it didn’t work.

-          2) Download MinGW installer and download all the basic packets. I download it using this link:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/latest/download?source=files

-          3) Make sure that gcc.exe is in the directory C:\MinGW\bin\gcc.exe

-          4) Set the system environment variable Path to include C:\MinGW\bin by adding Comma to the existing lists. Make sure to change the Path variable in the system variable.

-          5) Last setup is to add distutils configuration file to the following path C:\Python27\Lib\distutils

And save it as distutils.cfg

[build]

compiler = mingw32

[build_ext]

compiler = mingw32

ccat1...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2017, 11:08:59 AM1/23/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
I am trying to install qutip 4.0.2 on anaconda for python2.7(64-bit) on window 10 (64 bit)

I proceed it as follows:
1. Install Anaconda for 'all users'. at c:\anaconda2

2. Run mingw-w64-install.exe  to install mingw-w64 at a:\mingw-w64

3. Run the following command from ``cmd.exe``

    > conda install mingw libpython

4. Add the following content to the file `C:/Anaconda/Lib/distutils/distutils.cfg`
    [build]
    compiler = mingw32

    [build_ext]
    compiler = mingw32

5. Copy the qutip-4.0.2 fold to  c:\anaconda2 and running    > python setup.py install
here are the messages:

Installing without the fortran mcsolver.
running install
running bdist_egg
running egg_info
running build_src
build_src
building py_modules sources
building extension "qutip.cy.spmatfuncs" sources
building extension "qutip.cy.stochastic" sources
building extension "qutip.cy.sparse_utils" sources
building extension "qutip.cy.graph_utils" sources
building extension "qutip.cy.interpolate" sources
building extension "qutip.cy.spmath" sources
building extension "qutip.cy.heom" sources
building extension "qutip.cy.math" sources
building extension "qutip.cy.spconvert" sources
building extension "qutip.control.cy_grape" sources
building data_files sources
build_src: building npy-pkg config files
writing requirements to qutip.egg-info\requires.txt
writing qutip.egg-info\PKG-INFO
writing top-level names to qutip.egg-info\top_level.txt
writing dependency_links to qutip.egg-info\dependency_links.txt
reading manifest file 'qutip.egg-info\SOURCES.txt'
reading manifest template 'MANIFEST.in'
writing manifest file 'qutip.egg-info\SOURCES.txt'
installing library code to build\bdist.win-amd64\egg
running install_lib
running build_py
copying qutip\version.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
copying build\src.win-amd64-2.7\qutip\__config__.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
running build_ext
Looking for python27.dll
Building import library (arch=AMD64): "C:\Anaconda2\libs\libpython27.a" (from C:\Anaconda2\python27.dll)
error: [Error 2]

What's wrong with it and how to solve the probelm?
Thanks for your reply

Alex Pitchford

Jan 23, 2017, 11:28:53 AM1/23/17
to qu...@googlegroups.com
I have had no success with mingw and libpython in recent times.

I have had success with using the mingwpy package from the conda-forge.

See this for adding the conda-forge channel:

You could try this in a new conda env:
conda create -n qutip numpy scipy cython nose matplotlib mingwpy
You will need to copy the distutils file into the env Lib/distutils/

See this for more info:
http://qutip.org/docs/4.0.2/installation.html#installation-on-ms-windows

See this for general info on conda envs

btw the qutip conda-forge packages, as of last week, do not seem to be working (fail on import qutip)
You could try it though, maybe it works for you. I would be interested to know either way.
Installing from source, as you are trying, or through pip, was working on Friday (with mingwpy)

Alex

Rajiv

Jan 27, 2017, 6:20:35 AM1/27/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Hey guys,

I would like to add some more info to people who are still getting an error like vcvarshall.bat or msvccompiler even after following the above steps.

The problem seems to be that conda is still not able to find where the mingw compiler is installed. So you need to to place the distutils.cfg in the environment folder and not just in the anaconda installation folder.

if you installed qutip in an environment then it is C:\Users\*Username*\.conda\envs\*qutip-env*\Lib\distutils folder else it could be in the Anaconda folder in the user files  C:\Users\*Username*\Anaconda2\Lib\distutils.

I managed to successfully install it on three different computers.

Qutip rocks \m/
Rajiv
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to qutip+un...@googlegroups.com.

ccat1...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2017, 6:20:35 AM1/27/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
I first uninstall my own installation of mingw-64, and then use conda config --add channels conda-forge to add conda-forge as the highest priority channel.
next i run conda create -n qutip numpy scipy cython nose matplotlib mingwpy, everything seems fine.
I also copy the distutils file into the c:\anaconda2\Lib\distutils.
Finally i run pip install qutip, here are the messages:

Collecting qutip
  Using cached qutip-4.0.2.tar.gz
Requirement already satisfied: numpy>=1.8 in c:\anaconda2\lib\site-packages (from qutip)
Requirement already satisfied: scipy>=0.15 in c:\anaconda2\lib\site-packages (from qutip)
Requirement already satisfied: cython>=0.21 in c:\anaconda2\lib\site-packages (from qutip)
Building wheels for collected packages: qutip
  Running setup.py bdist_wheel for qutip ... error
  Complete output from command c:\anaconda2\python.exe -u -c "import setuptools, tokenize;__file__='c:\\users\\ccat1\\appdata\\local\\temp\\pip-build-0g6cfb\\qutip\\setup.py';f=getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('\r\n', '\n');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, 'exec'))" bdist_wheel -d c:\users\ccat1\appdata\local\temp\tmp7eddwspip-wheel- --python-tag cp27:
  Installing without the fortran mcsolver.
  running bdist_wheel
  running build
  running config_cc
  unifing config_cc, config, build_clib, build_ext, build commands --compiler options
  running config_fc
  unifing config_fc, config, build_clib, build_ext, build commands --fcompiler options
  running build_src
  build_src
  building py_modules sources
  building extension "qutip.cy.spmatfuncs" sources
  building extension "qutip.cy.stochastic" sources
  building extension "qutip.cy.sparse_utils" sources
  building extension "qutip.cy.graph_utils" sources
  building extension "qutip.cy.interpolate" sources
  building extension "qutip.cy.spmath" sources
  building extension "qutip.cy.heom" sources
  building extension "qutip.cy.math" sources
  building extension "qutip.cy.spconvert" sources
  building extension "qutip.control.cy_grape" sources
  building data_files sources
  build_src: building npy-pkg config files
  running build_py
  creating build\lib.win-amd64-2.7
  creating build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\about.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\bloch.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\bloch3d.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\bloch_redfield.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\continuous_variables.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\correlation.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\countstat.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\dimensions.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\distributions.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\entropy.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\eseries.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\essolve.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\expect.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\fastsparse.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\fileio.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\floquet.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\graph.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\hardware_info.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\interpolate.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\ipynbtools.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\logging_utils.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\matplotlib_utilities.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\mcsolve.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\mesolve.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\metrics.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\operators.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\orbital.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\parallel.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\partial_transpose.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\permute.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\propagator.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\ptrace.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\qobj.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\random_objects.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\rcsolve.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\rhs_generate.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\semidefinite.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\sesolve.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\settings.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\setup.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\simdiag.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\solver.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\sparse.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\states.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\steadystate.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\stochastic.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\subsystem_apply.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\superoperator.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\superop_reps.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\tensor.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\testing.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\three_level_atom.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\tomography.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\utilities.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\version.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\visualization.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\wigner.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\__config__.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip\__init__.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying build\src.win-amd64-2.7\qutip\__config__.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  creating build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip\ui
  copying qutip/ui\progressbar.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/ui
  copying qutip/ui\__init__.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/ui
  creating build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip\cy
  copying qutip/cy\codegen.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/cy
  copying qutip/cy\setup.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/cy
  copying qutip/cy\utilities.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/cy
  copying qutip/cy\__init__.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/cy
  creating build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip\qip
  copying qutip/qip\circuit.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/qip
  copying qutip/qip\circuit_latex.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/qip
  copying qutip/qip\gates.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/qip
  copying qutip/qip\qubits.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/qip
  copying qutip/qip\__init__.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/qip
  creating build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip\qip\models
  copying qutip/qip/models\circuitprocessor.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/qip/models
  copying qutip/qip/models\cqed.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/qip/models
  copying qutip/qip/models\spinchain.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/qip/models
  copying qutip/qip/models\__init__.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/qip/models
  creating build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip\qip\algorithms
  copying qutip/qip/algorithms\qft.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/qip/algorithms
  copying qutip/qip/algorithms\__init__.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/qip/algorithms
  creating build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip\control
  copying qutip/control\dump.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/control
  copying qutip/control\dynamics.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/control
  copying qutip/control\errors.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/control
  copying qutip/control\fidcomp.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/control
  copying qutip/control\grape.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/control
  copying qutip/control\io.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/control
  copying qutip/control\loadparams.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/control
  copying qutip/control\optimconfig.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/control
  copying qutip/control\optimizer.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/control
  copying qutip/control\optimresult.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/control
  copying qutip/control\propcomp.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/control
  copying qutip/control\pulsegen.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/control
  copying qutip/control\pulseoptim.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/control
  copying qutip/control\setup.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/control
  copying qutip/control\stats.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/control
  copying qutip/control\symplectic.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/control
  copying qutip/control\termcond.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/control
  copying qutip/control\tslotcomp.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/control
  copying qutip/control\__init__.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/control
  creating build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip\nonmarkov
  copying qutip/nonmarkov\heom.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/nonmarkov
  copying qutip/nonmarkov\memorycascade.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/nonmarkov
  copying qutip/nonmarkov\transfertensor.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/nonmarkov
  copying qutip/nonmarkov\__init__.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/nonmarkov
  creating build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip\_mkl
  copying qutip/_mkl\spmv.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/_mkl
  copying qutip/_mkl\spsolve.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/_mkl
  copying qutip/_mkl\utilities.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/_mkl
  copying qutip/_mkl\__init__.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/_mkl
  creating build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip\tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_basis_transformation.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_brmesolve.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_control_pulseoptim.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_correlation.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_countstat.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_cqed.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_dimensions.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_eigenstates.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_enr_state_operator.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_entropy.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_expect.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_fastsparse.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_fileio.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_floquet.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_gates.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_graph.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_heom_solver.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_interpolate.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_mcsolve.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_mcsolve_f90.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_mesolve.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_metrics.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_mkl.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_operators.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_parallel.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_partial_transpose.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_propagator.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_qft.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_qobj.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_qpt.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_qubitcircuit.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_qubits.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_qubit_evolution.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_rand.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_random.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_sparse.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_spinchain.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_spmath.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_sp_eigs.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_states.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_steadystate.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_stochastic_me.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_stochastic_se.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_subsys_apply.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_superoper.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_superop_reps.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_td_formats.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_tensor.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_three_level.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_utilities.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\test_wigner.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\__init__.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip\configspec.ini -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip
  copying qutip/cy\complex_math.pxi -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/cy
  copying qutip/cy\parameters.pxi -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/cy
  copying qutip/cy\sparse_struct.pxi -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/cy
  copying qutip/cy\interpolate.pxd -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/cy
  copying qutip/cy\math.pxd -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/cy
  copying qutip/cy\spmatfuncs.pxd -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/cy
  copying qutip/cy\graph_utils.pyx -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/cy
  copying qutip/cy\heom.pyx -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/cy
  copying qutip/cy\interpolate.pyx -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/cy
  copying qutip/cy\math.pyx -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/cy
  copying qutip/cy\sparse_utils.pyx -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/cy
  copying qutip/cy\spconvert.pyx -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/cy
  copying qutip/cy\spmatfuncs.pyx -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/cy
  copying qutip/cy\spmath.pyx -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/cy
  copying qutip/cy\stochastic.pyx -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/cy
  copying qutip/tests\bucky.npy -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\bucky_perm.npy -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  copying qutip/tests\Hadamard_params.ini -> build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip/tests
  running build_ext
  Looking for python27.dll
  Building import library (arch=AMD64): "c:\anaconda2\libs\libpython27.a" (from c:\anaconda2\python27.dll)
  error: [Error 2]

  Failed building wheel for qutip
  Running setup.py clean for qutip
Failed to build qutip
Installing collected packages: qutip
  Running setup.py install for qutip ... error
    Complete output from command c:\anaconda2\python.exe -u -c "import setuptools, tokenize;__file__='c:\\users\\ccat1\\appdata\\local\\temp\\pip-build-0g6cfb\\qutip\\setup.py';f=getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('\r\n', '\n');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, 'exec'))" install --record c:\users\ccat1\appdata\local\temp\pip-qllc2v-record\install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile:
[...]

Command "c:\anaconda2\python.exe -u -c "import setuptools, tokenize;__file__='c:\\users\\ccat1\\appdata\\local\\temp\\pip-build-0g6cfb\\qutip\\setup.py';f=getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('\r\n', '\n');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, 'exec'))" install --record c:\users\ccat1\appdata\local\temp\pip-qllc2v-record\install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile" failed with error code 1 in c:\users\ccat1\appdata\local\temp\pip-build-0g6cfb\qutip\

It seems that "Failed building wheel for qutip" a vital propblem. what should i do?
Thank for your reply.

Alex Pitchford

Jan 27, 2017, 6:37:49 AM1/27/17
to qu...@googlegroups.com
Here follows an explanation, read the whole email before acting. Here you have create a conda env called qutip, but you have not activated it, so you are still installing qutip into the default env. After creating the env you should have seen a message telling you to run:

activate qutip

in order to use your new environment.

Calling the env 'qutip' is probably a bit confusing, which is my fault sorry. Probably better to call it something like 'qutip-env' as Rajiv suggests below. Using conda envs takes a little while to get used to, but it is probably worth the effort in the long run if you plan to use python quite a lot for different things. If you plan to use multiple envs, then you should probably read a little about it.

As you have now removed mingw-64 from your default env, then you can just install mingwpy in your default env. If you are only going to use Python for qutip, then you will probably find it easier to just install it in your default env.  So you if you wish to do this, then:

conda install mingwpy
pip install qutip

Alex Pitchford

Jan 27, 2017, 6:50:56 AM1/27/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python, ccat1...@gmail.com
You should also have added the conda forge channel using:

conda config --append channels conda-forge
You do not want conda-forge as your highest priority channel

Alex Pitchford

Jan 27, 2017, 6:56:19 AM1/27/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python, ccat1...@gmail.com
You can run this now to move conda-forge to the bottom of the channels list.

Zhang Estella

Jan 29, 2017, 2:21:57 AM1/29/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
I first run conda install mingwpy and that goes fine.
Then i run pip install qutip, i got the same error message as before:
Failed building wheel for qutip
  Running setup.py clean for qutip
Failed to build qutip

collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
    error: Command "gcc -g -shared build\temp.win-amd64-2.7\Release\qutip\cy\spmatfuncs.o build\temp.win-amd64-2.7\Release\qutip\cy\src\zspmv.o -Lc:\anaconda2\libs -Lc:\anaconda2\PCbuild\amd64 -Lc:\anaconda2\PC\VS9.0\amd64 -lpython27 -lmsvcr90 -o build\lib.win-amd64-2.7\qutip\cy\spmatfuncs.pyd" failed with exit status 1

Command "c:\anaconda2\python.exe -u -c "import setuptools, tokenize;__file__='c:\\users\\ccat1\\appdata\\local\\temp\\pip-build-ppqwbk\\qutip\\setup.py';f=getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('\r\n', '\n');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, 'exec'))" install --record c:\users\ccat1\appdata\local\temp\pip-p4rhtv-record\install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile" failed with error code 1 in c:\users\ccat1\appdata\local\temp\pip-build-ppqwbk\qutip\

so i run activate qutip , and i got
(qutip) C:\Anaconda2>
it seems that the qutip-env is activated, right?
then i run pip install qutip, again, however i got the very similar error message as before:
 Failed building wheel for qutip
  Running setup.py clean for qutip
Failed to build qutip

error: Command "C:\Users\ccat1\AppData\Local\Programs\Common\Microsoft\Visual C++ for Python\9.0\VC\Bin\amd64\cl.exe /c /nologo /Ox /MD /W3 /GS- /DNDEBUG -IC:\Anaconda2\envs\qutip\lib\site-packages\numpy\core\include -IC:\Anaconda2\envs\qutip\lib\site-packages\numpy\core\include -IC:\Anaconda2\envs\qutip\lib\site-packages\numpy\core\include -IC:\Anaconda2\envs\qutip\include -IC:\Anaconda2\envs\qutip\PC /Tcqutip\cy\spmatfuncs.c /Fobuild\temp.win-amd64-2.7\Release\qutip\cy\spmatfuncs.obj -w -ffast-math -O3 -march=native -funroll-loops" failed with exit status 2

Command "C:\Anaconda2\envs\qutip\python.exe -u -c "import setuptools, tokenize;__file__='c:\\users\\ccat1\\appdata\\local\\temp\\pip-build-dbcoak\\qutip\\setup.py';f=getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('\r\n', '\n');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, 'exec'))" install --record c:\users\ccat1\appdata\local\temp\pip-0617so-record\install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile" failed with error code 1 in c:\users\ccat1\appdata\local\temp\pip-build-dbcoak\qutip\

both errors start from  Failed building wheel for qutip,  what's the meaning?

Thanks for your reply

Zhang Estella

Jan 29, 2017, 5:36:07 AM1/29/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
For the moment, i successfully installed qutip-4.0.2 on win10(64bit) with the following recipe.

1. Uninstall my old anacoda2 and restart system.

2. Shut down all of  Anti-virus software and System-monitor software.
 Install anaconda for "all users"  at c:\anaconda2 with file named "Anaconda2-4.2.0-Windows-x86_64" ( for python2.7(64-bit) ),
 Restart system

3. Update pip to version 9.0.1

4. Run conda install mingw libpython

5. Add the following content to the file `C:/Anaconda/Lib/distutils/distutils.cfg` (or create the file if it does not already exists)::

    [build]
    compiler = mingw32

    [build_ext]
    compiler = mingw32

6. Run conda create -n qutip mkl numpy scipy cython matplotlib nose multiprocess jupyter notebook spyder.

7. Run conda install qutip

So far the recipe works successfully on my win10(64bit) system.

In my opinion, Shutting down all of the anti-virus software and system-monitor software and restarting system after each step are important. Because i used to proceeded with the same recipe without shutting down those software and then failed.

Now i install qutip without the Fortran-based Monte Carlo solver, what's the command to install qutip without the Fortran-based Monte Carlo solver? Is there any other package should be installed before that?

Thanks for your reply.

Alex Pitchford

Jan 31, 2017, 6:48:32 AM1/31/17
to qu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am very interested to hear that you got the qutip conda-forge package to work. Have you run the tests on it? I have been unable to have any success with the qutip conda-forge packages on WIndows for two weeks now. I find it crashes on:

import qutip

The Fortran MC solver is all but obsolete now. I am not even sure that it still works. The speed of the non-Fortran one is reputedly near equivalent now. It may be very difficult to install on Windows. It might work with mingwpy, but you will have to install via pip or from source, e.g:

btw the issue with your qutip env install was that you needed to copy the distutils.cfg into that env as well.

shabir barzanjeh

Feb 5, 2017, 2:11:34 PM2/5/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Zhang Estella, I have the same problem on Win8.1. Do you know how can I solve it?

Alex Pitchford

Feb 6, 2017, 9:55:42 AM2/6/17
to qu...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps concentrate on the default env. That one is at least using the correct compiler.
I can't what actual error is occurring in the compiler, usually this would be earlier in the output.

If you try following the instructions to install from source:
Then it should show the underlying compiler issue.

Zhang Estella

Feb 7, 2017, 11:29:13 AM2/7/17
to qu...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for my late reply.

Everything seems fine with the Qutip so far.  Since i am still learning to use Python and Qutip, so i can not guarantee all of functions in Qutip works well.  I will report all problems i encountered  in the future.

ahc...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2017, 12:43:49 PM2/7/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
i also add to more info
i'm using following environment
python(x,y) 2.7.10/windows10/mingw

After complete official installation, same error happen repeatedly (like ld returned 1 exit status)

my problem is libpython27.a file( but i don't understand what is problem of this file, anyone have info about this?)

anyway, using pexports i replace libpython27.a by new one( overwrite on original file)

and successfully qutip installed!

2015년 10월 24일 토요일 오전 1시 32분 5초 UTC+9, Alex Pitchford 님의 말:

ahc...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2017, 1:01:12 PM2/7/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
sorry, install was successful but new error come

when i import qutip " Kernel died, restarting " message is printed

im so tired..

shabir barzanjeh

Feb 7, 2017, 2:48:42 PM2/7/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Hi Guys,
I solved the crash problem with following steps. I checked this today and installed on three PCs with Win 8 and 10:
1)Install Anaconda (last version) for python 2.7. I recommend to install it for all users. In this case you need to run everything as admin.
2)Add on mingwpy with conda install -c conda-forge mingwpy.
Don't install anything else. If you already installed mingw libpython, uninstall it first.
3) Add the following content to the file `C:/Anaconda/Lib/distutils/distutils.cfg` (or create the file if it does not already exists)::
    [build]
    compiler = mingw32
    [build_ext]
    compiler = mingw32
4)Tricky part is this: DO NOT install qutip with pip or conda. Go to qutip page and download the last version ONLY Qutip 4.1.0 and install it locally. When you do this I'm pretty sure you will not see any self crash during the test. Go to here "http://qutip.org/" and in the right part of the page download "Development version
4.1.0".

Cheers,

Alex Pitchford

Feb 8, 2017, 5:26:13 AM2/8/17
to qu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Shabir,
Thanks for posting these steps. Indeed these should work as you report.
I don't see any reason why the latest release version 4.0.2 should not work the same as the dev version though. There is very little difference between them. Did you find that 4.0.2 does not work?
I assume that when you say "install locally" you mean from source, e.g.:

$ python setup.py install

Cheers

Alex

ahc...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2017, 12:00:37 PM2/8/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Hi
I'm having troubling to install
Qutip looked to be installed well
import command also has no problem
I could use basic function like qutip.basis, qutip,destroy
but if i use some command like qutip.create, kernel died message print out
it's the same in Python not only IPython
This is weird and i have no idea what to do
is there anyone who can give me advice?

I'm using python(x,y) in window10

Alex Pitchford

Feb 8, 2017, 12:33:27 PM2/8/17
to qu...@googlegroups.com
hi ahcvkr
I saw your previous post. I am not sure about the steps you used to compile the qutip extensions. I am sure that they are not compiled well, and this is the cause of your issue.

We (the admin team) are only really offering support on installing qutip in a conda env (Anaconda or miniconda)
The conda qutip package itself has issues at the moment (which I am working on). So follow the steps in:
for creating a conda environment and installation under MS windows.
Then install via pip or from source.

There are also many recents post in this thread containing successful recipes for installing under Anaconda.

Alex

shabir barzanjeh

Feb 8, 2017, 2:45:31 PM2/8/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Hi Alex,
Q4.0.02 is also working but I had some tests failed for this version. Instead Q 4.2 passed all tests successfully. Still I didn't get why the local installation from the Qutip source is better than using conda/pip installation.

Indeed yes. "local installation" means from the source with  $ python setup.py install

Cheers,
Shabir
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to qutip+un...@googlegroups.com.

Alex Pitchford

Feb 9, 2017, 6:52:02 AM2/9/17
to qu...@googlegroups.com
The pip installation should work exactly as the 'from source' installation, as it just automates the process a bit. So if you have a C compiler setup that works, then pip should work.

The conda install however installs compiled binaries. Unfortunately these seem to be crashing Python (on Windows) for reasons I don't understand.
I am working on a solution, but it seems like it might be quite involved, so could be a while yet.

mauricio...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2017, 12:46:41 PM2/10/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Thank you very much for the guide, Shabir, it works nicely. If you don't mind, I would like to ask just a few questions though: is there a special reason for using Python 2.7? Did you run any tests with Python 3?

Paul Nation

Feb 10, 2017, 12:49:29 PM2/10/17
to QuTiP Group
We require using the gcc for compilation.  Thus only py27  and 34 work

glittersi...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2017, 8:09:52 AM2/22/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
hi
  i have installed qutip on windows and it shows error when solver is put to mc

Alex Pitchford

Feb 22, 2017, 11:48:27 AM2/22/17
to qu...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps you could show us the error?

MM

Feb 23, 2017, 8:56:12 AM2/23/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Hi!!

 I need help with installation of qutip on a windows AMD64 machine. I tried all different procedure but none work full. At present I'm nearly done with conda env. However while testing it I got the following msg as attached.

On Saturday, October 24, 2015 at 12:32:05 AM UTC+8, Alex Pitchford wrote:
Please use this thread to discuss problems with and solutions to installing QuTiP on MS Windows

Free free to start a new thread if there is some specific issue.
problem.pptx

MM

Feb 23, 2017, 8:58:19 AM2/23/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Just in continuation with my earlier post, one observation has been that the problem is related to the brmesolver....otherwise it looks okey...
Thanks a lot
MM

Alex Pitchford

Feb 23, 2017, 11:58:03 AM2/23/17
to qu...@googlegroups.com
I have been seeing this problem when using the conda-forge package. We now have a solution to this we believe, but it won't be available in a conda-forge for at least a week.
The only working methods on Windows at the moment are those that involve building from source using mingwpy (or just mingw).

Which install method are you using here?

Thanks

Alex

MM

Feb 23, 2017, 5:21:09 PM2/23/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Thanks Alex for your reply. Please let me know the working method for windows. I have presently used the following method:

1. downloaded miniconda2/anaconda2
2. installed
3. create and activate qutip-master env.(conda create -n qutip python=3 mkl numpy scipy cython matplotlib nose multiprocess jupyter notebook spyder)
4. created the distutils.cfg file within the env folder at the right location
5. used conda install qutip

MM
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to qutip+un...@googlegroups.com.

Alex Pitchford

Feb 24, 2017, 5:34:21 AM2/24/17
to qu...@googlegroups.com
MM,
Thanks for that. Yes, this does explain your problem. As mentioned before we are having issues with the conda-forge packages for MS Windows at present.
Try this:

conda create -n qutip-env python=3.4 pip numpy scipy cython mingwpy matplotlib nose jupyter notebook spyder
Copy the distutils.cfg to this new qutip-env conda env. You can now delete the qutip conda env
Run:
activate qutip-env
pip install qutip

If this does not work, then download the source files from:

Extract, then cd to the folder where you extracted the files and run:
sudo python setup.py install
Note you need to cd out of the folder before uesing qutip (e.g. running tests)

If that does not work work, then report back with what error you get.

Thanks

Alex

Mikkel Heuck

Feb 28, 2017, 4:18:48 AM2/28/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Hi Alex (and everyone)

I have a question about running QuTip on windows. I am using anaconda and created an environment called "py34" in order to use python 3.4. I followed instructions here and in the qutip documentation (4.0.2) and managed to install it with the "conda install -c conda-forge qutip=4.0.2" command. I ran the test from the "Anaconda Prompt" and it skipped a few, but otherwise it looked ok. I like to use Spyder, but I have a problem. If I make a .py file containing only the line

import qutip as qtp

If I start a new Ipython console and run this line only using F9, then it works and I can type qtp.about(), with the following output:

QuTiP Version:      4.0.2
Numpy Version:      1.11.3
Scipy Version:      0.18.1
Cython Version:     0.25.2
Matplotlib Version: 2.0.0
Python Version:     3.4.5
Number of CPUs:     4
BLAS Info:          INTEL MKL
INTEL MKL Ext:      True
Platform Info:      Windows (AMD64)
Installation path:  C:\Program Files\Anaconda3\envs\py34\lib\site-packages\qutip

However, if I run the file using F5 I get the following error:

    from qutip.cy.spmatfuncs import *

ImportError: DLL load failed: %1 is not a valid Win32 application.

I can run the file using F5 if I already ran the line with F9. If I run the file with F5 first (and get the above error) and then try to run only the line (import qutip as qtp) using F9, I get a different error:
   qutip.settings.ipython = False

AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'settings'.

Now I realize that this is something specific to Spyder, but I wanted to hear if anyone has an idea anyway?

Thank you!!

Mikkel

Alex Pitchford

Feb 28, 2017, 6:55:48 AM2/28/17
to qu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mikkel,

I don't think the problem will be Spyder related. You seem to have faired better with the conda-forge package than most (inc me). I will (hopefully) be making a new release of qutip tomorrow that will fix the cf package issue. Until then, please see my last post to MM for advice on how to install qutip on Windows for the time being.

Thanks

Alex

mauricio...@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2017, 8:02:17 AM3/14/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Hi Alex,

first of all, congratulations to you and your team for the work with QuTiP.

Last night I noticed you have improved the windows installation so it should use Python 3.5 and Visual C++ 2015.
I tried to follow the instructions but unfortunately I had some errors which hereby I report along with the procedure I followed.
I was installing QuTiP on a ASUS ultrabook core i5 x64 based processor, with a 64bits windows 10.

1) Uninstalled the previous Anaconda 2;

2) Downloaded Anaconda 3.6;

3) Downloaded Visual C++ 2015 build tools from http://landinghub.visualstudio.com/visual-cpp-build-tools;

4) Installed Visual C++ 2015 build tools;

5) Installed Anaconda 3.6;

6) Added conda-forge channel using:

conda config --append channels conda-forge

7) Created qutip environment using:

conda create -n qutip python=3 mkl numpy scipy cython matplotlib nose multiprocess jupyter notebook spyder

and activated it;

8) Tried to install using:

conda install qutip

It fails, first because they downloaded QuTiP 4.0 (not 4.1) and
complained about mismatch compatibility with Anaconda 3.6.

8) Tried install using:

pip install qutip

It fails, same error as before;

9) Downloaded Qutip from http://qutip.org/download.html, changed to the
unzipped folder containing setup.py and installed using

python setup.py install

It worked at first glance. However, after running qutip.testing overnight, it generated
errors, the first 2 I retrieved were those:

correlation: legacy me and es for oscillator in steady-state ... ERROR
correlation: comparing me and es for oscillator in steady-state ... ERROR

The final prompt message was "FAILED" and it counted 6 errors.

I wrote here as a feedback as well as a help request. Please let me know if you can guide me.

Regards,
Maurício

Alex Pitchford

Mar 14, 2017, 8:41:05 AM3/14/17
to qu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mauricio,

You are perhaps slightly ahead of the game. We are currently working to make the install much easier with new conda-forge packages. Currently have a few issues, but hopefully resolved in a few days. I will be updating the installation instructions when everything is working.

The final method you tried would be the right one for now.

6 errors does not sound too bad. It means the vast majority of QuTiP is working.

I will repeat your procedure now and see what I get.

Thanks for the feedback,

Alex

mauricio...@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2017, 9:06:42 AM3/14/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Hi Alex,

I'm glad to update the info, as I've just run a test and it finished ok, with 459 tests done in 1941s. The only difference from last night test was the fact I've used

from qutip import *

before running it, so I guess it really worked for me this time. I'm going to install it on two other machines today and I can report you any issues if they show up.

best regards,

Mauricio.

Alex Pitchford

Mar 14, 2017, 10:10:08 AM3/14/17
to qu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mauricio,

I can report that my 459 tests also all completed with no failures, but took just slightly longer.

Thanks again for the update,

Alex

alex.k...@gmail.com

Mar 15, 2017, 10:19:13 PM3/15/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Hi Alex, and Mauricio,

I'm also using a Windows 10, x64 machine, and I've been fighting for a while trying to get qutip up and running. I tried following your recipe, but didn't have as much success as you. I have Anaconda 4.2.9 (with Python 3.6), so I think this is close to what you are using. Using the link provided above, I downloaded Visual C++ 2015 build tools and installed it. After restarting my computer I created an environment with the same properties as you (although I enforced python=3.4 since it had given me an error message earlier), and activated it. Then I moved to the unzipped folder containing the installation file for qutip 4.1.0 and tried installing using "python setup.py install", but I got an error saying:

running install
running bdist_egg
running egg_info
writing requirements to qutip.egg-info\requires.txt
writing qutip.egg-info\PKG-INFO
writing dependency_links to qutip.egg-info\dependency_links.txt
package init file 'qutip/cy/src\_init_.py' not found (or not a regular file)
package init file 'qutip/cy/openmp/src\_init_.py' not found (or not a regular file)
reading manifest file 'qutip.egg-info\SOURCES.txt'
writing manifest file 'qutip.egg-info\SOURCES.txt'
installing library code to build\bdist.win-amd64\egg
running install_lib
running build_py
copying qutip\version.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-3.4\qtip
running build_ext
building 'qutip.cy.spmatfuncs' entension
error: Microsoft Visual C++ 10.0 is required. Get it with "Microsoft Windows SDK 7.1": www.microsoft.com/download/details/aspx?id=8279

Any ideas?

I tried downloading the SDK, but that didn't work. I thought this should be encompassed by the Visual C++ build tools. Am I wrong?

Cheers!

Alex K

Paul Nation

Mar 15, 2017, 10:20:26 PM3/15/17
to QuTiP Group
Visual studio only works with py35+.

-P

Paul Nation

Mar 15, 2017, 10:23:28 PM3/15/17
to QuTiP Group
Sorry visual studio 2015.

alex.k...@gmail.com

Mar 15, 2017, 10:42:45 PM3/15/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Just as an update on my previous comment explaining the error message I got.

I used the same steps as described by Mauricio but instead of installing in the qutip_env environment, I installed directly in root. This seems to work, but I don't quite understand why. When I type "conda list" there is an element:

qutip 4.1.0 <pip>

However, I didn't try to install it using pip. It's all a bit confusing. I'm very happy that it works, but I need to install it on a few other machines, so maybe I'll figure out what the problem (and solution) was. I'll keep you informed.

Cheers!

Alex K

Alex Pitchford

Mar 17, 2017, 7:35:12 AM3/17/17
to qu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,
As of a few minutes ago a conda-forge package is available for both Python 3.5 and 3.6 on windows.
I am running tests with it now and it seems fine.
So install now (assuming you have the right conda env and conda-forge channel appended) should be as easy as:

conda install qutip

Let us know if you have issues with this,

Thanks

Alex

toby.e....@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2017, 1:50:12 AM3/24/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Hi Alex,

Thanks for all your hard work (both in general, and in getting this to work on windows)! I've just updated anaconda to the latest version and installed qutip through conda (so I'm running Python 3.6 - with package numbers as specified by anaconda - and qutip 4.1.0) and ran the test. Everything returned 'ok' and the test completed without crashing, which is the first time that's ever happened on windows for me. The only thing to note is throughout most of the test I was getting constant warnings of the form "rhs1362014.obj : warning LNK4197: export 'PyInit_rhs1362014' specified multiple times; using first specification" and "npy_1_7_deprecated_api.h(12) : Warning Msg: Using deprecated NumPy API, disable it by #defining NPY_NO_DEPRECATED_API NPY_1_7_API_VERSION" etc. I don't know if that's an issue with qutip, or my particular system, but the same occurred with Python 3.5 and a fresh anaconda install. It seems to be something that can be ignored (and maybe it's only an issue I'm having), but if you'd like a more thorough account of the warning (probably a few hundred of them) I'm happy to provide it.

Cheers,
Toby

Paul Nation

Mar 24, 2017, 2:13:20 AM3/24/17
to QuTiP Group
That can be ignored.  Just some issues with cython code and visual studio.

-P

Alex Pitchford

Mar 24, 2017, 7:10:34 AM3/24/17
to qu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Toby,
Thanks for reporting back. Always nice to get some positive feedback.
Cheers

Alex

Gian

Mar 27, 2017, 5:32:59 PM3/27/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Hello everyone! I am quite new to python and to qutip. I installed the package following the instructions but after running the test I still get some errors (27 to be precise). For example I get wrong all the interpolate functions, did I miss something?
Here is the detailed report of the test I run.
Hope someone can help! Thanks
qutip testing.txt

Paul Nation

Mar 27, 2017, 5:34:37 PM3/27/17
to QuTiP Group
Python can not find visual studio 2015 on your machine.

gian

Mar 28, 2017, 8:07:22 AM3/28/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
That's strange because it's installed on my machine. Do I have to specify the path somehow?

Alex Pitchford

Mar 28, 2017, 8:20:33 AM3/28/17
to qu...@googlegroups.com
Use the VS Developer cmd window

Gian

Mar 28, 2017, 4:15:10 PM3/28/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Nothing is changing, actually I get more errors when I use the visual studio cmd prompt.

Alex Pitchford

Mar 28, 2017, 5:28:59 PM3/28/17
to qu...@googlegroups.com
When you installed VS2015 did you specify you wanted the Python option. There was some option that mentioned Python when I installed the Community version

Gian

Mar 29, 2017, 4:07:04 AM3/29/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Yes I installed all the python components and I tried to run the test both on the normal prompt comand and both on the one of VS2015. Surprisingly I get more errors on VS.
I will try to unistall and reinstall visual studio even though I don't think this will solve the problem.
Thanks for the help

Alex Pitchford

Mar 29, 2017, 5:55:20 AM3/29/17
to qu...@googlegroups.com
Are the extra errors in VS Developer Command Window of the same type?

--
Message has been deleted

rouxkevi...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2017, 11:09:15 AM3/30/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Hi  Alex and every who reads this desesperate call

So first of all thank you very much for this wonderful librairy which will be very useful for my PhD thesis.

After fighting for a couple of days with the installation I have only one type of error remaining. The text file of the test is attached.

The configuration I use is the following :

QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Copyright (c) 2011 and later.
Alexander Pitchford, Chris Granade, Paul D. Nation & Robert J. Johansson

QuTiP Version:      4.1.0
Numpy Version:      1.11.3
Scipy Version:      0.18.1
Cython Version:     0.25.2
Matplotlib Version: 2.0.0
Python Version:     3.6.0
Number of CPUs:     4
BLAS Info:          INTEL MKL
OPENMP Installed:   False
INTEL MKL Ext:      True
Platform Info:      Windows (AMD64)
Installation path:  C:\ProgramData\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\qutip

I would be veru glad if someone could help me with that to finally starts trying this fancy tool.

Thanks

Kevin
RESULTAT TEST QUTIP.txt

aiell...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2017, 11:14:55 AM3/30/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Hi Kevin, I think we get exactly the same kind of errors. Do you experience them using the usual windows cmd prompt?

aiell...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2017, 12:33:02 PM3/30/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
By the way the errors that I have with the visualstudio prompt are all of the kind:
"PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'rhs43560.pyx'"

While with the usual prompt it's:
"Unable to find vcvarsall.bat"

Alex Pitchford

Mar 30, 2017, 6:30:53 PM3/30/17
to qu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gian,
I saw this error too. The VS cmd window starts in
C: Program Files/Microsoft/...

You need to change directory to one where you have full permissions. For instance your home folder.
Alex

Alex Pitchford

Mar 30, 2017, 6:38:26 PM3/30/17
to qu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin,
Looks like you have made settings to use the mingw compiler in conjunction with Python 3.6. This will not work. You must use VS2015. See the recently updated install docs for more info.
Alex

Jian Zhang

Mar 30, 2017, 7:57:05 PM3/30/17
to qu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

    Many thanks for your group on the great work of QUTIP. I have installed  QUTIP on my PC(win7) and run the test successfully. Here is the version information:

QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Copyright (c) 2011 and later.
Alexander Pitchford, Chris Granade, Paul D. Nation & Robert J. Johansson

QuTiP Version:      4.1.0
Numpy Version:      1.12.1
Scipy Version:      0.19.0
Cython Version:     0.25.2
Matplotlib Version: 2.0.0
Python Version:     3.6.1
Number of CPUs:     4
BLAS Info:          INTEL MKL
OPENMP Installed:   False
INTEL MKL Ext:      True
Platform Info:      Windows (AMD64)
Installation path:  C:\Anaconda3\envs\qutip-env\lib\site-packages\qutip

I don't know  what the item ""OPENMP Installed:   False"" means. Is there someway I can fix this?
Hope  for your reply.
Thanks again.

Best wishes.

Paul Nation

Mar 30, 2017, 8:45:28 PM3/30/17
to QuTiP Group
You need to install from source for that, as stated in the documentation.  However, it is not required.

-P

Jian Zhang

Mar 30, 2017, 9:06:34 PM3/30/17
to qu...@googlegroups.com
Dear Paul,
    thank you very much for your immediate reply.   You mean that won't have great impact for the qutip? But I  found that it is not possible to
use the parallel computation function parfor.. Is there any way I can fix this?

Best wishes

Paul Nation

Mar 30, 2017, 9:12:57 PM3/30/17
to QuTiP Group
Parfor and parallel_map do not function well on Windows.  This is an issue between Python and Windows, not QuTiP.  As such, there is not much we can do about it.

-P

Jian Zhang

Mar 30, 2017, 9:19:56 PM3/30/17
to qu...@googlegroups.com
Okay. Thank you for your patient explanation and your work on this great toolbox of QUTIP.

Best wishes

Paul Nation

Mar 30, 2017, 9:57:26 PM3/30/17
to QuTiP Group
No problem.  Hope it's useful.

kévin ROUX

Mar 31, 2017, 12:46:33 PM3/31/17
to qu...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much Alex.

I will try to change the compiler for VS2015 and check again.

Kevin

Kevin Roux

Institut d'Optique Graduate School / Université Paris Saclay

MSc in Physics - Nanophysics
MSc in Physics - Theoretical and applied optics

aiell...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2017, 12:49:47 PM3/31/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Hi Alex, everything is working now! Thanks a lot

Alex Pitchford

Mar 31, 2017, 12:52:23 PM3/31/17
to qu...@googlegroups.com
Ok, great!
Thanks for reporting back.
All the best with your project.
Alex

jpe.h...@gmail.com

Apr 7, 2017, 6:48:57 PM4/7/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Hey,

Just installed using anaconda on windows.  Wow! so much easier than the last few times I did it with pythonxy back in the day.  This is really nice.  Thanks!

JP

Il giorno venerdì 23 ottobre 2015 18:32:05 UTC+2, Alex Pitchford ha scritto:
Please use this thread to discuss problems with and solutions to installing QuTiP on MS Windows

Free free to start a new thread if there is some specific issue.

Alex Pitchford

Apr 10, 2017, 7:25:22 AM4/10/17
to qu...@googlegroups.com
Hey,
Thanks for the feedback. We spent a lot of effort on it, so very pleased to hear it's proving worth it.

Bests

Alex

Вадим Воробьев

Apr 20, 2017, 2:20:18 PM4/20/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Tried to build sources of 4.1.0 using MINGW. After struggling end up in Python CRASHING on 2nd qt.testing.run(), and in MESOLVE

VERSIONS:

QUTIP: 4.1.0
NUMPY: 1.12.1 (from GOLKE)
SCIPY 0.19.0 (from GOLKE)
Cython 0.24
Matplotlib 1.5.1
Pythom 2.7.11
BLAS INTEL MKL
OPENMP False
Intel MKL False
Platofrm Windows (AMD64)

M Cotrufo

Apr 22, 2017, 11:12:09 AM4/22/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Hi,
I installed the last version of qutip with python 3.6 on Win10. The installations proceeds without errors. However, when I run the tests, it gets 9 SKIP and 27 errors. You can see the full output of the qt.run() command here: https://justpaste.it/15syx

The procedure that I followed to install it is simply:
-Install Anaconda3-4.3.1-Windows-x86_64.exe
-Open a command prompt as an admin and type "conda install qutip"
- Open python and run the tests for qutip

Paul Nation

Apr 22, 2017, 11:37:30 AM4/22/17
to QuTiP Group
It cannot find your visual studio 2015 compiler.

M Cotrufo

Apr 23, 2017, 11:00:07 AM4/23/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Hi Paul,
thanks! I managed to fix it it now! I get 459 tests done in 1277 seconds and 9 SKIP.

For others that could be interested: in order to fix it, I installed the visual studio 15 community package, from here http://download.cnet.com/Visual-Studio-Community-2015/3000-2212_4-76440611.html (on the Microsoft website they already moved to the 2017 version, and to get older versions you need to register...). Be sure to select everything related to visual c++ during the installation (I don't remember every single stuff that I installed). Then proceed with:

-Install Anaconda3-4.3.1-Windows-x86_64.exe
-Open a command prompt as an admin and type "conda install qutip"

henryf...@gmail.com

Jun 8, 2017, 5:39:26 PM6/8/17
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
I have been trying to make this work for almost a week.  I cannot get it to locate and use the VS community compiler.  I have made sure to install the python and C++ related components.  I still see the same 27 errors that others are getting (along with 7 skips).   What do I do to allow qutip to find it?

Running windows 10, 64 bit on amd quad core, so I should be able to use the new method.

Thanks
Henry
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to qutip+un...@googlegroups.com.

Alex Pitchford

Jun 9, 2017, 1:21:15 PM6/9/17
to qu...@googlegroups.com
Are you using the VS Developer cmd window?
Please send screen shot

It is loading more messages.