Caution about Qutip-3.1.0 and its compatibility with Python(x,y) 2.7.9

shabir barzanjeh

Apr 23, 2015, 6:06:08 AM4/23/15
to qu...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I already updated qutip package to version 3.1 alongside with installing Python(x,y) 2.7.9 in Win8.1.
I wish to share my experience in this path.
The new version of  Python(x,y) 2.7.9 does not have MinGW and it supports Microsoft visual C++ for python 2.7. This is almost OK in most cases except THIS IS NOT COMPATIBLE with the new version of qutip-3.1.
Unfortunately I failed to install qutip 3.1 along with python(x,y) 2.7.9. I've tested python(xy)2.7.9 with MinGW 4.9+ but during the running of the qutip, the python crashed several times.

I have tested to install python(xy) 2.6(and even Anaconda) which has MinGW in its package list+qutip 3.1. Again Failed!.

Finally, I decided to have python(xy) 2.6+Qutip-3.0.1. This indeed solved the problem and now I have qutip in my windows.

Cheers,
Shabir

Paul Nation

Apr 27, 2015, 3:21:29 AM4/27/15
to qu...@googlegroups.com
Indeed, the installation of QuTiP under Windows can be problematic. As of version 3.1+, we suggest using Anaconda on Windows. Any errors under Anaconda are Windows compatibility errors, and not errors with QuTiP itself. Indeed, all of the automated testing is conducted with the latest version of Anaconda on a linux build machine. As the development of QuTiP is conducted on unix based systems only, any bugs on Windows based platforms need to be reported, and hopefully, fixed by users of this platform. We occasionally have users from Microsoft visit the website, so perhaps they will be gracious enough to help.

- Paul

Charles Newton

May 20, 2015, 3:46:07 PM5/20/15
to qu...@googlegroups.com
Shabir,

This is the same issue I've been having. I'm in the process of uninstalling python(x,y) 2.7.9 before I downgrade to 2.6
Thank you for making this post. I hope 2.6 along with qutip 3.0.1 works for me too.

-Charlie