Dropping 10.7 support

Patrick Robertson

Nov 23, 2013, 8:09:09 PM11/23/13
to quicksilver-...@googlegroups.com
So we’ve only just recently dropped 10.6 support, but since Apple made Mavericks a free upgrade the number of users on 10.7 has dropped dramatically. Here’s some stats from the website for today (US time)

OS Version %age requests to qsapp.com
10.9 68.57%
10.8 16.45%
10.7 7.20%
10.6 3.80%
Other 3.97%

I think 7% of users on 10.7 is enough grounds to drop it. It’s only going to go down.

And to make our (my!) lives easier, I’ve added a PHP implementation of gAnalytics to the plugin system. Means we should be able to track downloads/checks etc. nice and easily :)

P.S. in editing the plugin system I also added the code to set the min OS version to 100700 for QS versions >= 4001, lest anyone forget to set it ;-)

Patrick Robertson

Nov 23, 2013, 8:16:32 PM11/23/13
to quicksilver-...@googlegroups.com
I should note that the stats are for qs0.qsapp.com, not the website. I.e. they are stats for requests made from QS and not browsers.

Etienne Samson

Nov 24, 2013, 5:52:32 AM11/24/13
to quicksilver-...@googlegroups.com
Care to give the total number of requests ? 7.2% of 7 billions of humans is still an overwhelming number, and I've grown cautious when statistics show up...

Cordialement,
Etienne Samson
--
samson....@gmail.com

Patrick Robertson

Nov 24, 2013, 6:39:27 AM11/24/13
to quicksilver-...@googlegroups.com
Sure thing… 16006 requests.
That’s just for one day. Works out as 1,100 requests from Lion users yesterday. Not that it could theoretically be one user making 1,100 requests (as could the stats for all the other numbers). I couldn’t be bothered to check unique IPs

Rob McBroom

Nov 25, 2013, 12:25:39 PM11/25/13
On 23 Nov 2013, at 20:09, Patrick Robertson wrote:

> So we’ve only just recently dropped 10.6 support, but since Apple
> made Mavericks a free upgrade the number of users on 10.7 has dropped
> dramatically.

We have a standing policy of supporting the current version and the one
before, so technically I guess we already dropped 10.7. :-)

Of course we shouldn’t go out of our way to break it, but if there are
technical benefits, I’d say go ahead.

--
Rob McBroom
http://www.skurfer.com/