T-shirt competition

Patrick Robertson

Aug 11, 2013, 11:23:31 PM8/11/13
to quicksilver-...@googlegroups.com
Something I've been thinking about recently , and hopefully something we can get into the release notes before v1.1.0 is released is the idea of a T-shirt competition.

We all know that QS is more than just an app, it has an awesome community and that's the main thing that's kept us going/the app alive over the years. My idea is as follows:

* Create a t-shirt competition to last 2-4 weeks from the release of v1.1.0
* Anybody can enter. Pics from the QS repo can be used (we'd need to check with Dan if he's cool with people potentially mashing his icons)
* Winner will be selected by the QS organisation trustee (or maybe a poll?)
* Winner will get one free t-shirt
* Winner and runner up will get one feature of their choice implemented in QS (I'm happy to be the one to take the extra work if nobody else agrees to this)
* QS Contributors will get a t-shirt at cost price
* T-shirts will then be sold at cost price +10% say.

I think this would be a good way to give something back to the awesome community, get them more involved in QS (maybe it'll spawn other ideas?), hopefully act as some free advertising/spreading the word.
And let's face it: we all need new t-shirts right? (It's crazy how travelling deteriorates t-shirts… :D)
If people like the idea, I've had good experiences buying other community t-shirts from http://www.portmerch.com/

P.S.: Thanks to Rob for the idea of creating QS t-shirts, I'm still intrigued as to what the design of his one was… maybe he can enter the comp ;-)

Patrick Robertson

Aug 11, 2013, 11:25:27 PM8/11/13
to quicksilver-...@googlegroups.com
Oh, and just to clarify a few points:

* Feature implementation: this would need to be within reason. To be discussed with the winners
* The money from t-shirts will go to the QS organisation of course.

philostein

Aug 13, 2013, 5:22:39 AM8/13/13
to quicksilver-...@googlegroups.com
Sounds neat. Am I allowed to enter? \(?.?)/

Patrick Robertson

Aug 13, 2013, 5:25:16 AM8/13/13
to quicksilver-...@googlegroups.com
> Sounds neat. Am I allowed to enter? \(?.?)/

Yay some enthusiasm! :D
Don't see why not. If many QS members enter maybe we'll have to go to an external panel for judging :P

Rob McBroom

Aug 13, 2013, 3:08:17 PM8/13/13
On Sun Aug 11 2013 at 23:23:31, Patrick Robertson wrote:

 Thanks to Rob for the idea of creating QS t-shirts, I'm still intrigued as to what the design of his one was… maybe he can enter the comp ;-)

Doesn’t sound familiar at all, but sure, I’ll take credit. :-)

--
Rob McBroom
<http://www.skurfer.com/>

Patrick Robertson

Aug 17, 2013, 12:30:33 AM8/17/13
to quicksilver-...@googlegroups.com
Alright, cool. I'll write a blog post.

Looks like we'll need another release/version bump so we can put it in the change log :)

> Doesn’t sound familiar at all, but sure, I’ll take credit. :-)

Maybe I'm getting confused… isn't that what the secret gift was with the QS Constitution letter!?

Rob McBroom

Aug 17, 2013, 10:48:04 PM8/17/13
On Sat Aug 17 2013 at 00:30:33, Patrick Robertson wrote:

Alright, cool. I'll write a blog post.

Looks like we'll need another release/version bump so we can put it in the change log :)

> Doesn’t sound familiar at all, but sure, I’ll take credit. :-)

Maybe I'm getting confused… isn't that what the secret gift was with the QS Constitution letter!?

Oh, yeah, but they were Indy 500 shirts, since that’s my home town. Not cool Quicksilver shirts.

Patrick Robertson

Aug 17, 2013, 11:43:50 PM8/17/13
to quicksilver-...@googlegroups.com
> Oh, yeah, but they were Indy 500 shirts, since that’s my home town. Not cool Quicksilver shirts.

Aaah alright. I assumed they'd be some cool "We are Quicksilver" t-shirts or something ;-)
Excuse my ignorance, but which Indy 500 would that be referring to… :P

Rob McBroom

Aug 19, 2013, 8:27:20 AM8/19/13
On Sat Aug 17 2013 at 23:43:50, Patrick Robertson wrote:

> Oh, yeah, but they were Indy 500 shirts, since that’s my home town. Not cool Quicksilver shirts.

Aaah alright. I assumed they'd be some cool "We are Quicksilver" t-shirts or something ;-)
Excuse my ignorance, but which Indy 500 would that be referring to… :P

The one that all the others are based on, or referring to. :-)

Patrick Robertson

Aug 19, 2013, 8:54:47 AM8/19/13
to quicksilver-...@googlegroups.com
> The one that all the others are based on, or referring to. :-)

Thought so. That's enough N. American fact-learning for the day ;-)

Patrick Robertson

Sep 4, 2013, 7:02:57 PM9/4/13
to quicksilver-...@googlegroups.com
The guys I've emailed ( http://portmerch.com/ ) are being really slow to respond. If anybody else has any recommendations on who they think are good for t-shirt making, let me know.

Rob McBroom

Sep 5, 2013, 7:16:20 AM9/5/13
On Wed Sep 04 2013 at 19:02:57, Patrick Robertson wrote:

> The guys I've emailed ( http://portmerch.com/ ) are being really slow to respond. If anybody else has any recommendations on who they think are good for t-shirt making, let me know.

It looks like some of the muckity-mucks in the Apple world have used Teespring in the past.

http://teespring.com/

SteveK

Sep 5, 2013, 8:53:43 AM9/5/13
to quicksilver-...@googlegroups.com
Skreed in Columbus, OH.

http://skreened.com/

A friend and contributor

Steve K

Patrick Robertson

Sep 7, 2013, 5:33:50 AM9/7/13
to quicksilver-...@googlegroups.com
Cool, I'll give both those a look, but it seems that for Teespring it might be worth calling them since we're a not for profit (http://teespring.com/solutions)

Thanks guys

Rob McBroom

Sep 9, 2013, 9:47:21 AM9/9/13
On Sat Sep 07 2013 at 05:33:50, Patrick Robertson wrote:

Cool, I'll give both those a look, but it seems that for Teespring it might be worth calling them since we're a not for profit (http://teespring.com/solutions)

Probably easier for someone in the U.S. to do, eh? :-/

Let me know if you want to go that route.

Patrick Robertson

Sep 9, 2013, 8:48:38 PM9/9/13
to quicksilver-...@googlegroups.com
I think that might be a good idea, since we'd probably get a better deal if we were registered as a not for profit.

I've taken a look at Skreened and they don't seem to require anything in advance - it's as simple as just creating an account and uploading pics. So they'd be fine to go with.
I have seen some dodgy reviews at http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/skreened-columbus, although I'm assuming Steve's had good experiences with them :)

By far most of the QSApp.com visitors are from the US (44%), so it makes sense to get the t shirts made there so I don't think it's worth me suggesting any UK companies (if I had any to recommend :P)

Patrick Robertson

Sep 9, 2013, 9:06:54 PM9/9/13
to quicksilver-...@googlegroups.com
And looking at teepsring it doesn't look like they need much stuff to get started. It seems we could potentially get under way with the competition before having to choose a supplier.

If everyone's happy, v1.1 can go live. Here's my planned post (which will be put on the blog and in the qs gGroups)

(a private URL atm, don't go tweeting it just yet :D )

Lucas Garron

Sep 9, 2013, 9:49:05 PM9/9/13
to quicksilver-...@googlegroups.com
That post is talking about how you're giving the community a chance to contribute something... by selecting one of them to be the special winner?
I would emphasize that for most people this will become an opportunity to get a Quicksilver shirt they can wear proudly. that sounds cool enough to me. Maybe also mention something about how a little bit of the money will contribute to development.

Another possibility would be to open it up after the main winners to include more shirt designs on a rolling basis. More choices for people who want a Quicksilver shirt, and a less limited chance to "contribute" in this way.

I'd also highly suggest adding some sort of image. This makes the post more interesting, and goes over much better on social media sites (e.g. Facebook) that do image previews. For example, a humurously-photoshopped-but-not-completely-terrible white shirt with a Quicksilver-style icon, except with a question in the middle.

»Lucas Garron

Patrick Robertson

Sep 9, 2013, 10:35:01 PM9/9/13
to quicksilver-...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good Lucas, I'll make some changes.

> Another possibility would be to open it up after the main winners to include more shirt designs on a rolling basis.

Yeah I thought about this but I didn't see a need to put it in the post, I thought it'd just organically evolve. I guess it wouldn't be bad to explicitly say

> For example, a humurously-photoshopped-but-not-completely-terrible white shirt with a Quicksilver-style icon, except with a question in the middle.

Sounds like you already have an idea for an image forming… would you be happy to make one? :D

SteveK

Sep 10, 2013, 6:32:50 AM9/10/13
to quicksilver-...@googlegroups.com
Yep good experience, but I have a contact inside...

Steve K
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to quicksilver---development+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Rob McBroom

Sep 10, 2013, 3:34:02 PM9/10/13
On Mon Sep 09 2013 at 21:06:54, Patrick Robertson wrote:

And looking at teepsring it doesn't look like they need much stuff to get started. It seems we could potentially get under way with the competition before having to choose a supplier.

If everyone's happy, v1.1 can go live. Here's my planned post (which will be put on the blog and in the qs gGroups)

(a private URL atm, don't go tweeting it just yet :D )

Where you say “fix one bug/implement one feature of their choice*”, the asterisk is never explained. We probably want to clarify that. :-)

Whenever the post is finalized, let me know or feel free to put the release out yourself. I’ve added it to gh-pages, so all you should need to do is

  • Update the version number in download.php (in the root directory of QSApp.com)
  • Alter the app's 'release type' in the Plugins Admin page