Getting 1.2.0 out the door

Rob McBroom

Apr 18, 2014, 9:57:12 AM4/18/14
to quicksilver---development

We’re pretty close, so I thought I’d sum up what (I think) needs to happen before we put it out as a pre-release.

Most of it is done and just awaiting review, or close to done.

Thoughts?

  • #1792 - Any ideas? I’ve tried some things, like creating a specific CGEventSourceRef with different options, but it made no difference. I’m obviously stabbing in the dark. Should we leave it?
  • Do you think we need #1800 to make #1808 safer?
  • Release Event Triggers updates
  • Release Clipboard updates
  • Release File Compression updates
  • Spotlight (compliments File Attribute plug-in changes that will go wide with 1.2.0)

--
Rob McBroom
http://www.skurfer.com/

philostein

Apr 19, 2014, 12:58:47 AM4/19/14
to quicksilver-...@googlegroups.com, mailin...@skurfer.com
Thanks for your hard work devs! Looking forward to 1.2 going public.

Rob McBroom

Apr 22, 2014, 4:33:13 PM4/22/14

On 18 Apr 2014, at 9:57, Rob McBroom wrote:

We’re pretty close, so I thought I’d sum up what (I think) needs to happen before we put it out as a pre-release.

Overlooked one that could be rather big: Cube rotation doesn’t work

Fix? Deprecate?

Patrick Robertson

Apr 25, 2014, 12:46:29 AM4/25/14
to quicksilver-...@googlegroups.com
I’ll reply in fuller form after the 29th. Until then my internet connection is pretty much non existent*
…but I just wanted to comment on all the

> “Release XXX plugin updates”

Whilst of course not hard-coding things like NSFilenamesPboardType (and using QSFilePathType instead) is the right way to go, I’ve just pushed a branch called ‘dataUTI’ (on the Quicksilver repo) with some changes I made a week or so ago to ensure UTIs are always used for the data dictionary, hopefully fixing all the problems in existing plugins.
Please apologise for my lack of PR or comments there, loading GH right now just doesn’t seem appealing. If the two commits (the 2nd hopefully gets rid of that silly ‘Uncommitted CA Animation’ warning) are fine, then please feel free to go ahead and merge

* This email took 40 minutes to check sources, compose and send (using Apple Mail) :)

Rob McBroom

Apr 25, 2014, 3:51:13 PM4/25/14

On 25 Apr 2014, at 0:46, Patrick Robertson wrote:

I'll reply in fuller form after the 29th. Until then my internet connection is pretty much non existent*

...but I just wanted to comment on all the

"Release XXX plugin updates"

Whilst of course not hard-coding things like NSFilenamesPboardType (and using QSFilePathType instead) is the right way to go, I've just pushed a branch called 'dataUTI' (on the Quicksilver repo) with some changes I made a week or so ago to ensure UTIs are always used for the data dictionary, hopefully fixing all the problems in existing plugins.

It must have gone to the version of Github on the non-existent Internet, because I don’t see it. :-)

As for that specific problem, I think most of the fixes for that are already released. The remaining things are unrelated.

  • This email took 40 minutes to check sources, compose and send (using Apple Mail) :)

It can all wait a few days.

philostein

Apr 25, 2014, 4:50:46 PM4/25/14
to quicksilver-...@googlegroups.com, mailin...@skurfer.com
How about announcing the t-shirt competition winner(s) along with the 1.2.0 release?

A bit like the devs' interview with 1.0.

Patrick Robertson

Apr 27, 2014, 9:25:38 PM4/27/14
to quicksilver-...@googlegroups.com
> How about announcing the t-shirt competition winner(s) along with the 1.2.0 release?

Hehehe… yes, we’ve been very slow on that one. We should do :)

> It must have gone to the version of Github on the non-existent Internet, because I don’t see it. :-)

OK, see now.

Patrick Robertson

May 3, 2014, 5:54:02 AM5/3/14
to quicksilver-...@googlegroups.com
I don’t think we’re waiting on anything now are we?

If we get https://github.com/quicksilver/Quicksilver/pull/1832 merged, there is no need to worry about releasing updated plugins that are 1.2 compatible. That pull adds compatibility in automatically

Rob McBroom

May 5, 2014, 5:07:28 PM5/5/14
On 3 May 2014, at 5:54, Patrick Robertson wrote:

> I don’t think we’re waiting on anything now are we?

What are we going to do about the Cube interface?

Patrick Robertson

May 6, 2014, 10:42:08 AM5/6/14
to quicksilver-...@googlegroups.com
Kill it.

It’s using all sorts of CGSPrivate methods (the rotating part, which - incidentally - we removed from the setup assistant for the same reason) that I don’t want to touch.
We *could* remove them, and make it just switch from pane to pane with a refresh (no rotate), but that’s kind of the whole point of the cube interface right?

Rob McBroom

May 6, 2014, 11:37:46 AM5/6/14
to quicksilver-...@googlegroups.com

On 6 May 2014, at 10:42, Patrick Robertson wrote:

Kill it.

I tried to disable it, but apparently the documented minSystemVersion and maxSystemVersion requirements were never implemented. (I think they’re all set up on the server side, though, which is probably where I got them.)

So, should we implement those settings in 1.2.0, or just say the Cube interface doesn’t work on 10.9 (which would prevent users on 1.1.3 from using it, too)?

Patrick Robertson

May 6, 2014, 12:08:47 PM5/6/14
to quicksilver-...@googlegroups.com
Hmm… that’s a tough one. Looking at the stats, the latest version of the Cube Interface has had 18k downloads, which isn’t bad.

I had a quick go at fixing it (replacing CGSPrivate with the one at http://www.fvalente.org/blog/2012/03/15/using-cgsprivate/ sort of worked), but I still think it’s a dead end. We’d need to switch to the all new CATransform methods (which doesn’t look that difficult to be honest)

I don’t think it’s something I can do.

If the only way to disable it is through putting in a min OS X version, then let’s do that.
I see we have checks for ‘version’, ‘osRequired’ and ‘osUnsupported’ in QSPlugin, so it seems you’re right that ‘maxVersion’ isn’t implemented in the code. It wouldn’t be that much of a big deal to implement I s’pose.

How do we ensure that users upgrading to v1.2 have the Cube plugin (which they’re currently using) disabled? Put it in the “obsoletes” array of one of the core plugins?

Rob McBroom

May 13, 2014, 9:51:13 AM5/13/14
to quicksilver---development
It’s out as a pre-release.

Patrick Robertson

May 13, 2014, 10:15:11 AM5/13/14
to quicksilver-...@googlegroups.com
No problem on the business, totally understand. Thanks for getting the release out so soon :)

Patrick Robertson

May 14, 2014, 11:55:30 AM5/14/14
to quicksilver-...@googlegroups.com
That should have been ‘busy-ness’, not business, but I s’pose that’s where the word came from, maybe. :/

As an FYI - I took a quick look at the crash reports on the server today, and was amazed to see nothing for 400B.
Unfortunately my faith in my coding skills isn’t that great that I thought there had been NO crashes. It turns out we were doing a check on the user agent to make sure it matched “Quicksilver/(\d+) “

Since the latest QS version is 400B that was throwing things off. I’ve now changed the regex to:

“Quicksilver/([0-9A-Fa-f]+) “

I checked the other places server-side where this might occur, but everything else seems to be fine.

Rob McBroom

May 14, 2014, 12:45:26 PM5/14/14
On 14 May 2014, at 11:55, Patrick Robertson wrote:

> As an FYI - I took a quick look at the crash reports on the server
> today, and was amazed to see nothing for 400B.
> Unfortunately my faith in my coding skills isn't that great that I
> thought there had been NO crashes. It turns out we were doing a check
> on the user agent to make sure it matched "Quicksilver/(\\d+) "
>
> Since the latest QS version is 400B that was throwing things off. I've
> now changed the regex to:
>
> "Quicksilver/([0-9A-Fa-f]+) "
>
> I checked the other places server-side where this might occur, but
> everything else seems to be fine.

Awww, you ruined it! ;-)

Howard Melman

May 16, 2014, 10:09:28 PM5/16/14
to quicksilver-...@googlegroups.com
I was away until today, my iMac was off. I booted and QS auto-started and updated to 1.2.0

I found that my mouse trigger (hide app when moused moved to corner) didn't work. command-space worked to bring up the command window and then command-comma worked to bring up prefs. I then clicked on the Triggers button (I never remember command-singlequote) and QS crashed. This was repeatable. I could not get to the triggers prefs through any means.

Other HotKey triggers seemed to work. ⌃⌘G brought up a google search, etc. I could not mouse to the side of the screen to bring up the shelf.

I restored the QS.app from Time Machine and everything is working fine. I'm guessing the mouse triggers plugin needs to be updated.

Howard

Patrick Robertson

May 16, 2014, 10:39:21 PM5/16/14
to quicksilver-...@googlegroups.com
As always, creating an issue on GitHub, along with any crash reports that may shave been created will be the best thing for us to fix this.

Cheers