ARC plugins

Patrick Robertson

Oct 5, 2014, 12:35:35 PM10/5/14
to quicksilver-...@googlegroups.com
I’ve been scratching my head over why the recent Clipboard plugin update has been crashing for some users.
It turns out that they were running Quicksilver v1.1.3 which does *NOT* use ARC. As expected, trying to load an ARC plugin from a non-ARC app causes problems.
(We know that it’s OK to load non-ARC plugins from an ARC app)

Since v1.2.0 is the first release of Quicksilver that uses ARC, if you’re updating plugins to use ARC, then the minimum QS version in QSRequirements should be set to something like 400D

I propose that bltrversion be updated to check if a plugin is using ARC. If it is, then it should automatically bump the qsversion.

Rob McBroom

Oct 7, 2014, 10:18:01 PM10/7/14

On 5 Oct 2014, at 12:35, Patrick Robertson wrote:

I've been scratching my head over why the recent Clipboard plugin update has been crashing for some users.

It turns out that they were running Quicksilver v1.1.3 which does NOT use ARC. As expected, trying to load an ARC plugin from a non-ARC app causes problems.

(We know that it's OK to load non-ARC plugins from an ARC app)

That’s odd. The iTunes plug-in has ARC enabled and has for quite a while. Maybe we were just lucky on that one.

Since v1.2.0 is the first release of Quicksilver that uses ARC, if you're updating plugins to use ARC, then the minimum QS version in QSRequirements should be set to something like 400D

I propose that bltrversion be updated to check if a plugin is using ARC. If it is, then it should automatically bump the qsversion.

Don’t disagree, but probably won’t look at it any time soon.

--
Rob McBroom
http://www.skurfer.com/

Patrick Robertson

Oct 8, 2014, 2:01:35 AM10/8/14
to quicksilver-...@googlegroups.com
You’ve probably all seen the woes I’ve been having with more people reporting problems with the Clipboard plugin.
I’m pretty sure the initial problem was with v1.1.3 and the ARC version of the plugin (if a non-ARC bundle (QS 1.1.3) ‘expects’ some kind of memory management from the other side of an interface, but it doesn’t get it, that most certainly causes a problem).

Having said that I’ve had all other manner of problems (building the Clipboard plugin without ARC, whilst linking against QS v1.1.3) which have completely stumped me. In the end I just downloaded the last known ‘good’ clipboard plugin that worked on v1.1.3 (from Aug ’14), unzipped it and bumped the version number in the Info.plist, then re-released it.

Rob McBroom

Oct 8, 2014, 5:05:30 AM10/8/14
On 8 Oct 2014, at 2:01, Patrick Robertson wrote:

> Having said that I’ve had all other manner of problems (building the
> Clipboard plugin without ARC, whilst linking against QS v1.1.3) which
> have completely stumped me.

Do you have a branch where you’ve put back all the retain/release
stuff and turned off ARC? If you push it up, I can give it a shot.

> In the end I just downloaded the last known ‘good’ clipboard
> plugin that worked on v1.1.3 (from Aug ’14), unzipped it and bumped
> the version number in the Info.plist, then re-released it.

Sounds good.

Patrick Robertson

Oct 8, 2014, 1:36:49 PM10/8/14
to quicksilver-...@googlegroups.com
> Do you have a branch where you’ve put back all the retain/release stuff and turned off ARC? If you push it up, I can give it a shot

No. I just checked out an earlier commit and built that. I was lazy, and fed up at that point :(