Is there any benefit of running per AppVM TorVMs?

Joonas Lehtonen

Aug 9, 2014, 8:00:32 AM8/9/14
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, ax...@openmailbox.org

Axon:
> Are you suggesting (contrary to the outcome of the previous
> discussion on this topic) that there might be some benefit to
> having more than one TorVM?[1]
>
> [1]
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/qubes-devel/le7-Rrq6yxY/discussion

What

is your threat model?

Two notions here:

1) Can you theoretically improve the stream isolation by running
multiple torvms?

Unlikely, and I agree with your statement from [1][2].

2) Can you reduce the impact of a torvm compromise by running per VM
torvms?

Yes, you might have a change to limit the impact of a torvm compromise.
Simply compare the impact of a torvm compromise that is handling
traffic of all your VMs with a torvm compromise that is handling
traffic of a single VM.

Hypotetical scenario: Attacker got remote code execution in one of
your VMs running behind a torvm *and* compromised your torvm via a
TransPort/SOCKSPort 0day (but he has no linux kernel IP/TCP 0day to
compromise -> firewallvm).

I'm not saying that you should run per VM torvms. After all, how
likely is a transport/socksport 0day really? I hope it is rather unlikely.
I'm saying that depending on your threat model there might be benefits
of such a setup. The underlying assumption here is that an attacker is
able to compromise only some anonvms but not all of them (so he can
attack/compromise/deanonymize only some torvms with its
transport/socksport 0days).

And then there is the guard topic - where I largely agree with Patrick
(that persistent guards are a good thing), but that is not a topic for
qubes-users.

If RAM would not be limited resource we wouldn't have this discussion
I guess ;)

[2]
>> I think the default stream isolation settings probably mean it
>> is useless to have multiple TorVMs

Axon

Aug 10, 2014, 5:14:42 AM8/10/14
to Joonas Lehtonen, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Joonas Lehtonen:
Thank you for explaining. I agree with everything you've written here.

signature.asc

Joonas Lehtonen

Aug 12, 2014, 5:49:10 PM8/12/14
to qubes...@googlegroups.com