qubes backup and restore question

dro...@gmail.com

May 25, 2019, 10:51:50 PM5/25/19
to qubes-users
What is the point of backing up a qube, if you can't restore to it?

I'm restoring a full backup, and instead of restoring to qubes, it's creating new ones with different names. WTF!

What the hell am I supposed to do now? Delete the original qubes, and rename the restores? I'm guessing that will break a bunch of links, which I'll have to manually fix. Am I the only person that thinks this is totally stupid?

And it says the restored dom0 files are located in some other directory. What the hell am I supposed to do with that? Dom0 can't be restored? Are you kidding me?

It's a good thing I gave up drinking when my brother died. I definitely need a drink right about now. This is maddening.

awokd

May 26, 2019, 8:38:00 AM5/26/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
dro...@gmail.com:
> What is the point of backing up a qube, if you can't restore to it?
>
> I'm restoring a full backup, and instead of restoring to qubes, it's creating new ones with different names. WTF!
>
> What the hell am I supposed to do now? Delete the original qubes, and rename the restores? I'm guessing that will break a bunch of links, which I'll have to manually fix. Am I the only person that thinks this is totally stupid?
>
> And it says the restored dom0 files are located in some other directory. What the hell am I supposed to do with that? Dom0 can't be restored? Are you kidding me?

The easiest way to restore qubes with the same names is to delete the
old ones prior to restore. You'll want to leave or clone an equivalent
of sys-usb and somewhere to mount the backup for the restore, so don't
delete them all.

See https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/4946 on how to move
the restored dom0 files to the right place, it's pretty straight-forward.

dro...@gmail.com

May 26, 2019, 11:15:42 AM5/26/19
to qubes-users

Thanks that was very helpful.