HCL HP Elitebook 2560p

gemm

Nov 2, 2015, 5:13:10 PM11/2/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

some feedback from a new Qubes 3 user:

I installed Qubes 3.0 on HP Elitebook 2560p recently. Works very well.
No problems found with networking (WLAN), Video and Audio playback or
special HP keys (WLAN on/off, audio mute). I am using german Keyboard
layout but english OS language. Also installed, upgraded and tested
whonix. Laptop energy management is working fine. Also does standby mode
(close display).
The Laptop has been purchased as used machine for Qubes compatibility in
mind. I upgraded from i5-2540m to i7-2760QM Quadcore CPU - both Sandy
Bridge generation with HD3000 integrated GPU. Also added a SSD and a
total of 16GB RAM. Intel Virtualisation options VT-d, TXT and TPM option
turned on in BIOS. Seems to work as expected. BIOS upgraded to latest
version F.60 from 2015. System is responsive and fast. AppVM creation
takes less than 10 sec.
Only thing missing is a mp3 coded to playback streaming audio in firefox
(e.g. www.schwarze-welle.de).

Found a little error while using the VM Backup option in Qubes VM
Manager. Apparently it is not able to backup dom0 AdminVM. This results
in an error message (Backup failed) and corrupted Backup File. Without
including dom0 AdminVM in the Backup, the Backup and Restore process
works fine.

Overall a very nice system. I like the concept very much and slowly
getting used to it. I will keep Qubes OS for my every day use on my
laptop. Thank you for producing this system !

regards,
gemm
Qubes-HCL-Hewlett-Packard-HP_EliteBook_2560p-20151102-222859.yml

Axon

Nov 2, 2015, 5:32:27 PM11/2/15
to gemm, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Axon

Nov 2, 2015, 6:24:31 PM11/2/15
to gemm, qubes...@googlegroups.com

(Adding list)

gemm:
> The error occures after backup is finished with 100%. Error
> message window pops up:
>
> "[Dom0] Backup error ! ERROR: Failed to perform backup: error in
> addproc"
>
> Restore Verification results in another popup:
>
> " [Dom0] Backup Error! ERROR: unable to extract the qubes backup.
> Check extracting process errors. Partially restored files left in
> /var/tmp/restore_*, investigate them and/or clean them up"
>
> and
>
> "ERROR: unable to extract files for
> /var/tmp/restore_3R1Ewg/dom0-home/TESTUSER.015.(u", u"tar:
> Unexpected EOF in archive\n\ntar:Error is not recoverable: exiting
> now\n`) Tar command output:%s Finished with errors!"
>
> The error can be reproduced. Only Dom0 VM is affected. Other VM
> Backup and restore works well. I am using encrypted
> backup/restore.

Does the error occur only when attempting to back up dom0 through the
Qubes Manager GUI (not with the command-line qvm-backup tool)?

> When does the error message occur? When creating the backup, or
> when attempting to restore from the backup? Does the error also
> occur when verifying (not actually restoring) the backup?

Axon

Nov 3, 2015, 6:17:05 PM11/3/15
to gemm, qubes...@googlegroups.com

(Re-adding list. Gemm, please consider using reply-all or replying
only to the list, as it helps the community greatly to keep these
discussions on-list, unless of course private information is being
exchanged. Thank you!)

gemm:

>> When does the error message occur? When creating the backup, or
>> when attempting to restore from the backup? Does the error also
>> occur when verifying (not actually restoring) the backup?
>>

> On 11/03/2015 12:24 AM, Axon wrote: (Adding list)
>
> gemm:

> Does the error occur only when attempting to back up dom0 through
> the Qubes Manager GUI (not with the command-line qvm-backup tool)?
>
>> The error occures when attempting to backup dom0 through the
>> Qube Manager GUI. Result by using the command-line tool for
>> backup is ok and no error occures here.

jacek.r...@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2015, 1:06:42 PM11/7/15
to qubes-users, ge...@gmx.de

Hi! Sorry to take this off topic, but I came across your post searching information about upgrades to the 2560p. I just got one myself and want to make several upgrades. But I'm embarrassingly confused and overwhelmed with several aspects. I was hoping you could steer me in the right direction.

Would you have a moment to answer a few questions?

Thanks,

JR