Dom0 Error for Whonix Templates: setterm: $TERM is not defined.

WhonixQubes

Dec 27, 2014, 3:43:57 AM12/27/14
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
For the new Whonix experimental templates from the Qubes repo:

In Dom0, when running "qvm-" commands [1] specifically upon Whonix VMs,
such as "qvm-start", "qvm-run", etc, it outputs 2 lines of the following
error, like this...

setterm: $TERM is not defined.
setterm: $TERM is not defined.

For example, if I run the following in the Dom0 terminal:

qvm-run --pass-io whonix-workstation 'date'

it outputs:

setterm: $TERM is not defined.
setterm: $TERM is not defined.
Sat Dec 25 12:00:00 UTC 2014

This error does not happen with other Fedora-based (non-Whonix) VMs in
Qubes.

This error does not happen within the Whonix VM terminals themselves,
just Dom0, when running "qvm-" commands upon the Whonix VMs.

I'm writing a toolkit for Qubes + Whonix and this error gets in the way
of cleanly parsing and processing the output of commands issued to the
Whonix VMs.

Checked $TERM variable inside the Whonix VM terminals, I echo $TERM:

echo $TERM

it outputs:

xterm

[1] https://qubes-os.org/wiki/DomZeroTools

Cross posted this to the Whonix Qubes forum:
https://www.whonix.org/forum/index.php/topic,839.0.html

Jason M

Dec 27, 2014, 12:01:27 PM12/27/14
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, whoni...@riseup.net

Remove the file below and it will work for you :)
/etc/profile.d/20_power_savings_disable_in_vms.sh

It's a Whonix script so maybe ask Patrick for a work-around or maybe it is not needed.  Let me know so I can fix it in a future release.

WhonixQubes

Dec 27, 2014, 6:44:39 PM12/27/14
to Jason M, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 2014-12-27 5:01 pm, Jason M wrote:

> Remove the file below and it will work for you :)
> /etc/profile.d/20_power_savings_disable_in_vms.sh
>
> It's a Whonix script so maybe ask Patrick for a work-around or maybe it
> is
> not needed. Let me know so I can fix it in a future release.

That worked! Thanks! :)

I will follow up with Patrick in the Whonix Qubes forum about fixing
this issue going forward.

https://www.whonix.org/forum/index.php/topic,839.0.html