Qubes GUI for v4

Tom Zander

Dec 19, 2017, 7:38:42 AM12/19/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Last weeks there was a lot of talk about a lot of us missing the
qubes-manager, or frankly any sort of useful graphical user interface.

As I’m a long time programmer I decided to just give this a go and try to
get something useful going.
My approach is one where I talk directly to the Admin-API (at least when
running in dom0) from this code which happens to have been written using Qt
in C++, the code will be GPL licensed.

The GUI is showing some usefulness already, the ‘start’, ‘pause’ and ‘stop’
buttons are functional.

I just wanted to show some progress, hope you like it.
QubesManager-v0.1.png

David

Dec 19, 2017, 4:22:11 PM12/19/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Tom,

Looks like a great start, looking forward to seeing it firsthand.

Matteo

Dec 20, 2017, 2:25:50 AM12/20/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Thanks so much, it's a thing that i miss a lot.
i come from windows with virtual box and found the qubes manager similar
to virtual box gui (both useful and well done).

but before you code it you should talk to joanna to be sure it will be
accepted and used.

Kushal Das

Dec 20, 2017, 2:42:17 AM12/20/17
to Matteo, qubes-users
On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 12:55 PM, Matteo <ne...@posteo.net> wrote:

> Thanks so much, it's a thing that i miss a lot.
> i come from windows with virtual box and found the qubes manager similar
> to virtual box gui (both useful and well done).
>
> but before you code it you should talk to joanna to be sure it will be
> accepted and used.

The beauty of Free Software projects is that you don't need any tool to be
something official. The tool can be packaged in Fedora, and can be installed by
the users if they want. if in the future the application become super popular
among the users, the Qubes upstream may include it as an official package.

Kushal
--
Staff, Freedom of the Press Foundation
CPython Core Developer

Tom Zander

Dec 20, 2017, 4:15:51 AM12/20/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, 20 December 2017 08:25:44 CET Matteo wrote:
> but before you code it you should talk to joanna to be sure it will be
> accepted and used.

I sent an email to the dev mailinglist at the same time I sent one here (no
reply so far) so at minimum she knows about it.

But I have to say that I’m programming this for myself and for people that
have indicated they want a similar solution.
It would be nice if it were packaged in Qubes, but I’m not depending on it.
--
Tom Zander
Blog: https://zander.github.io