HCL - Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E531

Mirosław Wojciechowski

Mar 5, 2016, 7:56:54 AM3/5/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi, This system is very good idea, good luck.

I attatch my HCL.yml file , seems works very well on my laptop.

Of course UEFI is off , hybrid graphic card (nvidia) is off
I enable legacy bios and disable secure boot in BIOS
Wifi & Sound works.

Regards,
Qubes-HCL-LENOVO-688526G-20160305-133823.yml

Chris Laprise

Mar 5, 2016, 3:18:46 PM3/5/16
to Mirosław Wojciechowski, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Your hcl file says that IOMMU isn't available, but your CPU model does
support it. You should check your virtualization settings in your BIOS
to see if you can enable virtualized I/O (also called Vt-d).

Chris

Mirosław Wojciechowski

Mar 5, 2016, 3:59:15 PM3/5/16
to Chris Laprise, qubes...@googlegroups.com

This must be some error, i have enable intel virtualization in bios. On Virtualbox & VMWARE all working great. Qubes worki gratuluję to.

Chris Laprise

Mar 5, 2016, 4:58:35 PM3/5/16

On 03/05/2016 03:59 PM, Mirosław Wojciechowski wrote:

> This must be some error, i have enable intel virtualization in bios.
> On Virtualbox & VMWARE all working great. Qubes worki gratuluję to.

It may be that Vt-x (normal virtualization extensions) is enabled, but
without Vt-d (I/O virtualization)... I think this indicates that Lenovo
does not support IOMMU features in the Thinkpad Edge line. I have seen
reports about older Edge models having the Vt-d feature greyed-out in
the BIOS settings.

Qubes can work without IOMMU, but the level of security is reduced somewhat.

Chris

Mirosław Wojciechowski

Mar 5, 2016, 6:56:18 PM3/5/16
to Chris Laprise, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Ok, i Checking this, and in my bios not Vt-d fuctions. But i only inform is that Qubes works well.

Regards.

pete....@gmail.com

Oct 30, 2016, 2:47:01 PM10/30/16
to qubes-users, tas...@openmailbox.org, mirek.woj...@gmail.com
There are two reasons why VT-d is not supported.

1)
The Thinkpad Edge E531 has a HM77 chipset, which does not support VT-d. Only their "business" and "workstation" lines (e.g. T530, W530) uses the QM77 chipset, which does support VT-d.

2)
The Thinkpad Edge E531 has a socketed motherboard (which is a "good" thing, in general, and allows swapping out CPU's for better ones, etc).

The 3632QM rPGA package (as opposed to BGA--a.k.a. "soldered") does NOT support VT-d. If you want VT-d, you will have to upgrade to a minimum of 3720QM for socketed CPU's. However, see reason #1 for why it would not work in your laptop.

Mirosław Wojciechowski

Oct 30, 2016, 2:50:15 PM10/30/16
to pete....@gmail.com, qubes-users, tas...@openmailbox.org
Thanks for the info.