Updated whonix templates

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Mar 10, 2015, 8:32:19 PM3/10/15
to qubes-users, Jason M

WhonixQubes

Mar 11, 2015, 9:11:19 AM3/11/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Awesome. Thanks!! :)

Mirrored to Whonix Qubes forum:

https://www.whonix.org/forum/index.php/topic,1012.0.html

Working on developing new official documentation on the Whonix wiki now:

https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Qubes

WhonixQubes

WhonixQubes

Mar 13, 2015, 1:07:57 AM3/13/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Regarding Gnome based Whonix-Workstation...

What's the advantage of including Gnome by default in a Qubes VM?

I thought Qubes did not need or use the AppVM's desktop environment
anyway.

It seems to add considerable weight (+1GB) on top of the Whonix
template.

WhonixQubes

Axon

Mar 13, 2015, 1:13:58 AM3/13/15
to WhonixQubes, qubes...@googlegroups.com

WhonixQubes

Mar 13, 2015, 1:39:05 AM3/13/15
to ax...@openmailbox.org, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 2015-03-13 5:13 am, Axon wrote:
> Maybe I'm severely misunderstanding something, but I'm pretty sure we
> *do* use the AppVM's DE inside of AppVMs. By default, we're running
> KDE in dom0 and Gnome in AppVMs.
>
> As for whether this is *necessary*, it's probably not. However,
> several users have noticed that trying to install KDE in a standard
> TemplateVM runs into a conflict with a Qubes package, so maybe that's
> why Gnome was chosen. (FWIW, the conflict can be worked around with
> - --skip-broken, and the result seems to work fine.)

Maybe I too am severely misunderstanding something as well, but...

I don't see usage of Gnome's DE for seamless mode VMs, Whonix, Fedora,
or otherwise.

All I see is the Dom0 KDE that all VMs display their windows on via X.

Sure, a big number of extra Gnome apps are installed on the filesystem
of the AppVM, but the Gnome desktop doesn't seem to be utilized by
Qubes.

Maybe I'm fundamentally off base?

Wondering about reasons for choice of the double-sized Gnome based
Whonix.

Thanks!

WhonixQubes

Axon

Mar 13, 2015, 1:48:01 AM3/13/15
to WhonixQubes, qubes...@googlegroups.com

WhonixQubes

Mar 13, 2015, 2:19:03 AM3/13/15
On 2015-03-13 5:47 am, Axon wrote:
> Hm... Well, isn't it possible to install those Gnome apps *only* by
> installing the "Gnome base"? That's how it seems to work with KDE.
> When I needed to install a particular K* app in one of my templates, I
> had to install practically all of KDE along with it as dependencies.

Yeah, I've had similar experiences with individual apps being dependent
upon full DEs.

But, for example, the previous ITL compiled Whonix-Workstation 2.1.7
(whonix-workstation-experimental) did also have Gnome's Nautilus file
manager installed, but not the full GDM package, and was less than half
the size as this 2.1.8 (whonix-workstation-gnome) one's RPM package.

0.9 to 2.1 GB increase.

WhonixQubes

Jason M

Mar 13, 2015, 3:15:33 AM3/13/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, ax...@openmailbox.org, whoni...@riseup.net

@Unman has created a more minimal template for Debian that I am also going to try to apply to Whonix as well when I get some time to work on it again.

The full gnome desktop environmnet is not installed, doing so would increase the file size to about 4GB as it does with Wheezy and Jessie.  The file size may have grown since I switched the method of installing the base packages to the same used by Debian as well as some additional packages that existed in a regular gnome installation but not the Debian based templates.  The reasons behind this was to provide greater reliability, especially when it cam to the graphics rendering which tended to display graphic artifacts on some types of video hardware.

I did do a lot of research into the mattes I mentioned and it could be that the file-size of the template became collateral damage.  So here's hoping the more minimal template helps with this.

WhonixQubes

Mar 13, 2015, 6:27:31 AM3/13/15
to nrg...@gmail.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 2015-03-13 7:15 am, Jason M wrote:
> @Unman
>
> *has created a more minimal template for Debian that I am also going to
> try
> to apply to Whonix as well when I get some time to work on it
> again.*The
> full gnome desktop environmnet is not installed, doing so would
> increase
> the file size to about 4GB as it does with Wheezy and Jessie. The file
> size may have grown since I switched the method of installing the base
> packages to the same used by Debian as well as some additional packages
> that existed in a regular gnome installation but not the Debian based
> templates. The reasons behind this was to provide greater reliability,
> especially when it cam to the graphics rendering which tended to
> display
> graphic artifacts on some types of video hardware.
>
> I did do a lot of research into the mattes I mentioned and it could be
> that
> the file-size of the template became collateral damage. So here's
> hoping
> the more minimal template helps with this.

Sounds good.

Thanks,

WhonixQubes

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Mar 13, 2015, 6:14:49 PM3/13/15
to WhonixQubes, qubes...@googlegroups.com

WhonixQubes

Mar 13, 2015, 6:25:11 PM3/13/15
to marm...@invisiblethingslab.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good... Yes, I saw that thread, and the QubesBuilder changes
sound nice!

WhonixQubes