extra nm-applet -- in gpgvm

J.M. Porup

Jun 11, 2016, 2:39:49 PM6/11/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Some months ago I noticed a second nm-applet in my Qubes toolbar.

One nm-applet belongs to my netvm. The second one is greyed out, and
clicking on it simply tells me "NetworkManager is not running..."

Thinking it was a UI bug, I ignored it for some time, until just now
when I right-clicked on it and selected About.

The color scheme for the greyed-out nm-applet is green, and the name of
the vm that appears is the name of my gpgvm, which, naturally, is a
networkless vm.

You can probably imagine what I'm thinking here. How can I test this?
What would cause this (accident or adversary)?

thanks
jmp

raah...@gmail.com

Jun 11, 2016, 4:30:55 PM6/11/16
to qubes-users

do you have another pci controller assigned to that gpgvm?

Unman

Jun 11, 2016, 7:15:50 PM6/11/16
to J.M. Porup, qubes...@googlegroups.com
I have had exactly the same issue.

Strangely the applet appears with only one qube, although others use the
same template, even when attached to the same netvm
No devices are, or have been, attached to that qube. The applet appeared
the first time that qube booted.

When other qubes start I see a tremor in the toolbar, as if the applet
is going to appear and then does not. With this one, it stays.

Now I just kill the applet: haven't thought about it for a while.

unman

J.M. Porup

Jun 11, 2016, 7:59:22 PM6/11/16
to raah...@gmail.com, qubes-users
No. No PCI devices are assigned to the gpgvm.

jmp

J.M. Porup

Jun 11, 2016, 8:02:11 PM6/11/16
to Unman, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 12:15:49AM +0100, Unman wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 02:39:39PM -0400, J.M. Porup wrote:
> > Some months ago I noticed a second nm-applet in my Qubes toolbar.
> >
> > One nm-applet belongs to my netvm. The second one is greyed out, and
> > clicking on it simply tells me "NetworkManager is not running..."
> >
> > Thinking it was a UI bug, I ignored it for some time, until just now
> > when I right-clicked on it and selected About.
> >
> > The color scheme for the greyed-out nm-applet is green, and the name of
> > the vm that appears is the name of my gpgvm, which, naturally, is a
> > networkless vm.
> >
> > You can probably imagine what I'm thinking here. How can I test this?
> > What would cause this (accident or adversary)?
> >
> > thanks
> > jmp
> >

> Now I just kill the applet: haven't thought about it for a while.

How do you kill an applet in the bottom-of-the-screen toolbar? I don't
see any such option.

jmp

raah...@gmail.com

Jun 11, 2016, 11:39:16 PM6/11/16
to qubes-users, j...@porup.com, un...@thirdeyesecurity.org

weird, i've only had a second greyed out netvm appear in panel, after i had tried to create a second usbvm and add the controller to it. It would fail with xenlight error. Or i think it was after attempting a second usb and then deleting it appeared on the original usbm i can't remember now. I just remember it happened to me on a usbvm once.

But for me I just deleted the vm and recreated it, and it never happened again. I was getting an error on boot. if you hit escape when booting up the machine do you see any weird messages?

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jun 12, 2016, 4:41:21 AM6/12/16
to J.M. Porup, Unman, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Unman

Jun 12, 2016, 6:25:39 PM6/12/16
to J.M. Porup, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 08:01:58PM -0400, J.M. Porup wrote:
You can use sudo kill $(pidof nm-applet) in a term.

Or fix the problem - it's being started from /etc/xdg/autostart/
so you can insert "sudo rm /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop"
in to /rw/config/rc.local.

But, of course this is a hack and not a fix.

unman