Install AwesomeWM on Qubes RC1

quar...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2015, 7:28:31 AM12/18/15
to qubes-users
Hi,

is there any simple way ti install AwesomeWM in dom0? [I would like to use git, but RC1 in dom0 don't have git, wget or similar.. and qubes-dom0-update failed, because it try to use yum, which are deprecated and dnf aren't installed - i try do update, but no dnf installed..]

Thank's for help.

David Hobach

Dec 18, 2015, 2:41:24 PM12/18/15
to quar...@gmail.com, qubes-users
> is there any simple way ti install AwesomeWM in dom0? [I would like to use git, but RC1 in dom0 don't have git, wget or similar.. and qubes-dom0-update failed, because it try to use yum, which are deprecated and dnf aren't installed - i try do update, but no dnf installed..]

You need to compile it from
https://github.com/woju/qubes-desktop-linux-awesome in dom0 yourself. Of
course you don't need git in dom0 for that - just use it in one of your
VMs and then transfer the data to dom0.

For that you'll require several dependencies which you can install using
qubes-dom0-update [library]. In the worst case you'll have to make some
rpms yourself (possible once again in some VM) and install them in dom0.

After everything is installed you'll have to log out from lightdm (kill
-9 -1 as dom0 user) and choose awesome WM on the upper right corner as
your WM.

Relevant topics:
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-devel/20150311105510.GB1340%40invisiblethingslab.com
https://groups.google.com/forum/?_escaped_fragment_=topic/qubes-devel/4bYnlZ9Z6Fk#!topic/qubes-devel/4bYnlZ9Z6Fk
https://groups.google.com/forum/?_escaped_fragment_=topic/qubes-users/kum6G0mQ6BI#!topic/qubes-users/kum6G0mQ6BI

Kind Regards
David

Tim W

Dec 18, 2015, 10:05:11 PM12/18/15
to qubes-users

Qubes-dom0-update is suppose to use yum-deprecated.  It should not fail.  But if there is nothing to update then after you see the red text about dnf yum deprecated you will end back up at the prompt.  If there is an update it will show.   Unless you are seeing an actual error vs the warning message about deprecated I think it should be working.

Of note: It did the same thing in 3.0 once I did the updates of kernel and f-23 temp but I still got the updates when they were available.

Tim W

Dec 18, 2015, 10:06:23 PM12/18/15
to qubes-users

To test what I am saying go into the F-23 template once there is a update and run yum-deprecated update and it should still run even though dnf works there as well

Thomass Quar

Dec 19, 2015, 6:35:29 AM12/19/15
to qubes-users
Yes, dnf working again [i got problem with my network..]

Thank

To awesome. At this moment I trying to compile some rpms :] After I did it, I post here complete steps, which are required for this.

Thanks men.

Mark Walters

Dec 19, 2015, 6:55:57 AM12/19/15
to Thomass Quar, qubes-users

Hi
I think you don't need to compile it yourself. The patches from
https://github.com/woju/qubes-desktop-linux-awesome which matter for
running qubes/awesome only patch the lua files, and these are not
compiled.

Thus, you can install an unpatched awesome from an rpm, and then apply
the two or three patches to the lua files the rpm installed (you need a little
care as the patches want to patch e.g. titlebar.lua.in and you need to patch
titlebar.lua)

That all worked for me relatively easily.

So far it all looks pretty good!

Best wishes

Mark

Thomass Quar

Dec 19, 2015, 7:49:44 AM12/19/15
to qubes-users, quar...@gmail.com
Hey, thanks.. So I can simple run command qubes-dom0-update awesome and process the five dependencies which are not installed and then patch the few lua scripts?