Thinkpad T410 installation issues

Jessica K. Litwin

Aug 8, 2016, 8:17:12 PM8/8/16
to qubes-users
Hi,

Apologies if this is a double post, my first one doesn't appear to have made it to the forum.

I am trying to install Qubes on a Thinkpad T410 which is supported by the HCL but:

imgur.com/a/nGDtz

With the top image is my attempt at booting the graphical installer. I'm pretty sure this is just an incorrectly set graphics mode, but so far my attempts to set it with gfxpayload= or vga= have been unsuccessful.

The second image is what happens if I attempt to install in VGA graphics mode. After setting all my options, the installer croaks.

What can I do to get a successful installation?

pixel fairy

Aug 8, 2016, 8:43:34 PM8/8/16
to qubes-users

pixel fairy

Aug 8, 2016, 8:45:28 PM8/8/16
to qubes-users

on my thinkpad, didnt have to do the 2nd part with the mouse settings. yours is newer, so you probably wont have to either.

Jessica K. Litwin

Aug 8, 2016, 9:11:12 PM8/8/16
to qubes-users

That got me going. Thank you. :)

Andrew David Wong

Aug 9, 2016, 12:28:59 AM8/9/16
to Jessica K. Litwin, qubes-users

Jessica K. Litwin

Aug 9, 2016, 12:30:54 AM8/9/16
to qubes-users

As a follow up to this:

When I try to boot the newly installed OS all I get is a blinking cursor. I don't believe this is a UEFI bios problem, but I am going to attempt to reinstall with different installation media in case there was an issue there.

Frank Schäckermann

Aug 9, 2016, 2:03:58 AM8/9/16
to qubes-users
Have you tried to just put your disk encryption password in at that point and hit enter? With some GPUs and driver combinations it has happened in the past, that the Luks password prompt just doesn't show properly.

One could call this an additional security feature. ;-)

Regards, Frank

Jessica Litwin

Aug 11, 2016, 4:57:51 AM8/11/16
to qubes-users
Hi,

Just a quick update, I was able to get qubes installed with the help of some different media (my original media was faulty) and I am up and running. I do have one question though:

With vt-d off, my system works fine, however I would like to enable vt-d.  So, I do the steps outlined [https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/thinkpad_x201/]  thus for iommu=no-gfx but when I enable vt-d the display is still garbled.

While I am still going to try and troubleshoot this issue on my own if anyone has any insight it would be appreciated.

P.S.: Is there an easy way to set my capslock as control in all my VM's? It's driving me a bit nuts :)

// jkl

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 2:03 AM, Frank Schäckermann <fr...@schaeckermann.net> wrote:

>> On Monday, August 8, 2016 at 8:17:12 PM UTC-4, Jessica K. Litwin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Apologies if this is a double post, my first one doesn't appear to have made it to the forum.
>>
>> I am trying to install Qubes on a Thinkpad T410 which is supported by the HCL but:
>>
>> imgur.com/a/nGDtz
>>
>> With the top image is my attempt at booting the graphical installer. I'm pretty sure this is just an incorrectly set graphics mode, but so far my attempts to set it with gfxpayload= or vga= have been unsuccessful.
>>
>> The second image is what happens if I attempt to install in VGA graphics mode. After setting all my options, the installer croaks.
>>
>> What can I do to get a successful installation?
>
> As a follow up to this:
>
> When I try to boot the newly installed OS all I get is a blinking cursor. I don't believe this is a UEFI bios problem, but I am going to attempt to reinstall with different installation media in case there was an issue there.

Have you tried to just put your disk encryption password in at that point and hit enter? With some GPUs and driver combinations it has happened in the past, that the Luks password prompt just doesn't show properly.

One could call this an additional security feature. ;-)

Regards, Frank

Jessica Litwin

Aug 11, 2016, 5:05:14 AM8/11/16
to qubes-users
On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 4:57 AM, Jessica Litwin <jes...@litw.in> wrote:
Hi,

Just a quick update, I was able to get qubes installed with the help of some different media (my original media was faulty) and I am up and running. I do have one question though:

With vt-d off, my system works fine, however I would like to enable vt-d.  So, I do the steps outlined [https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/thinkpad_x201/]  thus for iommu=no-gfx but when I enable vt-d the display is still garbled.

While I am still going to try and troubleshoot this issue on my own if anyone has any insight it would be appreciated.

P.S.: Is there an easy way to set my capslock as control in all my VM's? It's driving me a bit nuts :)

I fixed the capslock. apparently setting it in dom0 startup does the busines, dunno why i thought it should be per-vm, but apparently i need more sleep :)

Jessica Litwin

Aug 11, 2016, 5:13:49 AM8/11/16
to qubes-users
On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 5:04 AM, Jessica Litwin <jes...@litw.in> wrote:

[...]

NVM. ID10T error detected. GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX != GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN_DEFAULT

tl;dr i should be sleeping not setting up this laptop.  But I do have an intelligent question:

dom0 seems to only use about half a gig of RAM; is there any reason it's allocated half my system RAM (4gb) to itself?  Is there any harm in adjusting dom0_mem=max: to something a little less.... lots?

// jkl

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Aug 11, 2016, 6:44:26 AM8/11/16
to Jessica Litwin, qubes-users