My participation in Season of Docs

Lukas à Porta

Aug 7, 2019, 3:51:00 PM8/7/19
to qubes-project
Hello everyone, dear team members,

A short message to thank you for selecting my application. It is a real pleasure and honor to have the opportunity to contribute to a project I dearly respect and which encompasses so many things I cherish : information security ; virtualization and free and open source software. I am eager to start contributing to the project, and hope I will be up to the task that awaits.

What should be done next ? Maybe, my proposal could be posted somewhere alongside yours, here or as a GitHub issue, so it can be openly discussed and refined ?

As a side note : I have loaded QubesOS on my Thinkpad X230, and I am in the process of configuring it to my liking (while taking notes). On top of that, I have also installed QubesOS under KVM, and intend to use that setup to capture each and every step required to install QubeOS, and to experiment further.

Lukas, aka Luzeal

Ps: I first tried to post on the Season of Docs main board. Not yet at ease with Google Groups :D

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Aug 7, 2019, 4:53:10 PM8/7/19
to Lukas à Porta, Andrew David Wong, qubes-project

On Wed, Aug 07, 2019 at 12:51:00PM -0700, Lukas à Porta wrote:
> Hello everyone, dear team members,

Hello!

> A short message to thank you for selecting my application. It is a real
> pleasure and honor to have the opportunity to contribute to a project I
> dearly respect and which encompasses so many things I cherish : information
> security ; virtualization and free and open source software. I am eager to
> start contributing to the project, and hope I will be up to the task that
> awaits.
>
> What should be done next ? Maybe, my proposal could be posted somewhere
> alongside yours, here or as a GitHub issue, so it can be openly discussed
> and refined ?

Yes, this is definitely a good idea. I also wonder what would be the
best place for it, we have multiple options:
- qubes-project ML (here) - used mostly for non-development discussion
(organizing stuff etc)
- qubes-devel ML - development discussions
- github issues - also development discussions, focused on very specific
actionable task

I'd say qubes-devel would be more suitable, but github issues are fine
too.

Andrew, I think it would be also good to publish a post on our website
about GSoD. Official Google announcement is here:
https://opensource.googleblog.com/2019/08/season-of-docs-announces-technical.html
A page about Qubes:
https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/participants/project-qubes

> As a side note : I have loaded QubesOS on my Thinkpad X230, and I am in the
> process of configuring it to my liking (while taking notes). On top of
> that, I have also installed QubesOS under KVM, and intend to use that setup
> to capture each and every step required to install QubeOS, and to
> experiment further.

Does it work for you under KVM? I guess you needed to switch sys-net and
sys-usb to PV, right?

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Andrew David Wong

Aug 8, 2019, 1:35:16 AM8/8/19
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Lukas à Porta, qubes-project

On 07/08/2019 3.53 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 07, 2019 at 12:51:00PM -0700, Lukas à Porta wrote:
>> Hello everyone, dear team members,
>
> Hello!
>
>> A short message to thank you for selecting my application. It is a real
>> pleasure and honor to have the opportunity to contribute to a project I
>> dearly respect and which encompasses so many things I cherish : information
>> security ; virtualization and free and open source software. I am eager to
>> start contributing to the project, and hope I will be up to the task that
>> awaits.
>
>> What should be done next ? Maybe, my proposal could be posted somewhere
>> alongside yours, here or as a GitHub issue, so it can be openly discussed
>> and refined ?
>
> Yes, this is definitely a good idea. I also wonder what would be the
> best place for it, we have multiple options:
> - qubes-project ML (here) - used mostly for non-development discussion
> (organizing stuff etc)
> - qubes-devel ML - development discussions
> - github issues - also development discussions, focused on very specific
> actionable task
>
> I'd say qubes-devel would be more suitable, but github issues are fine
> too.

Agreed.

> Andrew, I think it would be also good to publish a post on our website
> about GSoD. Official Google announcement is here:
> https://opensource.googleblog.com/2019/08/season-of-docs-announces-technical.html
> A page about Qubes:
> https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/participants/project-qubes

Done:

https://www.qubes-os.org/news/2019/08/07/announcing-our-2019-season-of-docs-project/

Congratulations and welcome, Lukas!

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org

Lukas à Porta

Aug 8, 2019, 3:12:05 PM8/8/19
to qubes-project

Marek said :

I'd say qubes-devel would be more suitable, but github issues are fine
too.

Ok, what I intend to do is to post on qubes-devel a slightly modified version of my project at some point over the week-end, alongside other ideas and "activites" for the community bonding phase (like reading current GitHub issues ; mapping and reading the docs). Then, eventually, after some discussion has taken place, this project could be turned into a number of GitHub issues that I will eventually work on solving after the community bonding phase has ended. Does that sound good to you and Andrew ?

> As a side note : I have loaded QubesOS on my Thinkpad X230, and I am in the
> process of configuring it to my liking (while taking notes). On top of
> that, I have also installed QubesOS under KVM, and intend to use that setup
> to capture each and every step required to install QubeOS, and to
> experiment further.

Does it work for you under KVM? I guess you needed to switch sys-net and
sys-usb to PV, right?

As of now, "working" means I can boot the guest hypervisor and launch a nested VM inside of it. But the network is not available yet in the nested VM, and I haven't checked for the guest hypervisor either (virtio device model on the host computer, with VNAT). I haven't spent much time on it, so no need to think much about it, and thanks for the suggestion to change the sys-net to PV :)

Lukas à Porta

Aug 8, 2019, 3:13:11 PM8/8/19
to qubes-project
Thank you Andrew !