Official Windows 8/8.1/10 Support?

stevenwi...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2017, 5:56:06 PM1/5/17
to qubes-devel
Is there any info available when Qubes will officially support Windows 8/8.1/10?

Or is that not work in progress right now?

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jan 5, 2017, 6:54:47 PM1/5/17
to stevenwi...@gmail.com, qubes-devel, Rafał Wojdyła

Eric Shelton

Jan 7, 2017, 12:53:14 PM1/7/17
to qubes-devel, stevenwi...@gmail.com, om...@invisiblethingslab.com
OpenXT has solved a lot of windows guest issues (including sound, as I noted previously), and I believe supports Windows 10 fairly well.  It might be worth seeing how they have worked out some of this:

In particular, their graphics-related code:

However, I think this is non-seamless.  It's not clear that there is _any_ open source solution for Windows 10 seamless mode to refer to (for example, a search for '"windows 10" seamless virtualbox' seems to only turn up bug reports).

I wonder if there might be some convergence/standardization on PV interfaces for input, audio, and graphics that might let work like this become more of a drop-in solution across platforms, including Qubes.  The OpenXT developers seem to be making a concerted and consistent effort at upstreaming their work.  This type of idea will be the subject of another post...

Eric