qvm-create behavior / VM prefs (4.0)

Ivan Mitev

Apr 23, 2018, 6:41:37 AM4/23/18
to qubes-devel
Hi,

In 4.0, when creating an AppVM based on a TemplateVM, is it expected
that none of the new VM's prefs are copied from the template VM ?

For instance: (test2 is a TemplateVM)

qvm-prefs test2 kernel -> ''
qvm-prefs test2 virt_mode -> 'hvm'
qvm-prefs test2 memory -> '2096'

qvm-create --template test2 --label red testapp2

qvm-prefs testapp2 kernel -> '4.4.18-1'
qvm-prefs testapp2 virt_mode -> 'pvh'
qvm-prefs testapp2 memory -> '400'

I'll file an issue if it's a bug; if it isn't, this behavior is a bit
problematic: for instance a newly created AppVM from a windows TemplateVM
- will never boot because of the 'kernel' pref
- will not work in pvh mode
- will fail because of too low mem / mem balancing

Cheers,
ivan

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)

May 5, 2018, 10:20:51 PM5/5/18
to Ivan Mitev, qubes-devel
To my knowledge, app VMs do not copy their properties from template VMs
upon creation.  They are independent.

--
Rudd-O
http://rudd-o.com/

Ivan Mitev

May 7, 2018, 2:13:18 AM5/7/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Manuel. I've updated the QWT issue doc [1] to reflect this.

[1] https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3585