qubes-builder setup script

Achim Patzner

Sep 13, 2019, 12:09:05 PM9/13/19
to qubes-devel
Hi!

Is the setup script for builder.conf in qubes-builder still maintained?
If so, adding fc30 and getting rid of the forced use of the MIT PGP key
server might be necessary. If not: Can it be extended to tell users not
to use it?

Achim

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Sep 13, 2019, 4:03:37 PM9/13/19
to Achim Patzner, qubes-devel, Patrick Schleizer

Conor Schaefer

Sep 13, 2019, 4:22:06 PM9/13/19
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Achim Patzner, qubes-devel, Patrick Schleizer

On 9/13/19 1:03 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 06:08:39PM +0200, Achim Patzner wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Is the setup script for builder.conf in qubes-builder still maintained?
>> If so, adding fc30
>
> In fact, setup script gets it from example-config/templates.conf. Added.

Thanks for requesting clarification here, Achim. I've often been
confused about which config files are the appropriate ones to modify
when building Qubes templates. Great to have clarity.

>> and getting rid of the forced use of the MIT PGP key
>> server might be necessary.
>
> That's a bit trickier. We need some key server, and recently the whole
> WoT basically got broken... From what I understand, we are supposed to
> use keys.openpgp.org now. But it looks like there is email verification
> to upload the whole key (gpg2 doesn't like keys without any UID).
> So, I see two options:
> - switch to keys.openpgp.org and ask everyone mentioned in
> qubes-builder (Patrick in practice) to upload keys there
> - distribute keys as files

For what it's worth, we're undergoing a similar transition, encouraging
team members to to use the "hagrid" keyserver at keys.openpgp.org,
including the verification workflow. The transition introduces a bit of
friction, sure, but given the reliability concerns with the old
architecture, it's by far the best option available.

-Conor

Simon Gaiser

Sep 13, 2019, 4:39:47 PM9/13/19
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Achim Patzner, qubes-devel, Patrick Schleizer

Patrick Schleizer

Sep 13, 2019, 11:37:52 PM9/13/19
to Simon Gaiser, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Achim Patzner, qubes-devel
> Marek Marczykowski-Górecki:
>> On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 06:08:39PM +0200, Achim Patzner wrote:
>>> Hi!
>
>>> Is the setup script for builder.conf in qubes-builder still maintained?
>>> If so, adding fc30
>
>> In fact, setup script gets it from example-config/templates.conf. Added.
>
>>> and getting rid of the forced use of the MIT PGP key
>>> server might be necessary.
>
>> That's a bit trickier. We need some key server, and recently the whole
>> WoT basically got broken... From what I understand, we are supposed to
>> use keys.openpgp.org now. But it looks like there is email verification
>> to upload the whole key (gpg2 doesn't like keys without any UID).
>> So, I see two options:
>> - switch to keys.openpgp.org and ask everyone mentioned in
>> qubes-builder (Patrick in practice) to upload keys there
>> - distribute keys as files
>
> Given that the resent events were mostly triggered by the fact that the
> key import of GnuPG is, let's say, a bit brittle, I think we should
> include the complete keys.

Yes, I would suggest to not rely on keyservers for anything.

gpg key import (in Debian buster version) might not be the most robust
for handling untrusted data from keyservers.

Cheers,
Patrick

Achim Patzner

Sep 15, 2019, 2:33:45 PM9/15/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 20190913 at 22:03 +0200 Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 06:08:39PM +0200, Achim Patzner wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Is the setup script for builder.conf in qubes-builder still maintained?
> > If so, adding fc30
>
> In fact, setup script gets it from example-config/templates.conf. Added.

Ok, next step for you: Build an Arch template 8-).

> > and getting rid of the forced use of the MIT PGP key
> > server might be necessary.
>
> That's a bit trickier. We need some key server, and recently the whole
> WoT basically got broken...

Well, building with qubes-builder setup script is broken right now as
soon as you need a key. The quick fix (removing the command line
options in this script using a specific key server) will help, of
course but if there is no other way: What about publishing all relevant
keys on a web page OR running a Qubes key server and pointing to that
server?

> From what I understand, we are supposed to
> use keys.openpgp.org now. But it looks like there is email verification
> to upload the whole key (gpg2 doesn't like keys without any UID).

I got the keys from any old SKS server after removing the two lines so
that might be a first step.

> - distribute keys as files

I would very prefer that solution. Right now anything having to do with
a PGP key server can take hours.

Achim