Documentation on combined sys-usb/net VM

Jasper Weiss

Jun 25, 2016, 3:17:56 AM6/25/16
to qubes-devel
When installing Qubes 3.2 it has an additional option to combine the sys-usb VM with the sys-net VM. This is great because they're bot untrusted anyway. However I skipped that option, and there doesn't seem to be a command to setup the combined usb/net VM manually.
This page has some documentation on how to enable the sys-usb VM/Qube but it doesn't mention anything about combining it with the sys-net VM yet.
I tried creating it manually but it doesn't seem to work. I removed the default sys-net VM and configured a new netVM with the networking and USB controller devices attached. But even after rebooting Qubes it fails to start because of some PCIe error.

Jasper Weiss

Jun 25, 2016, 3:32:53 AM6/25/16
to qubes-devel
Here's the exact error I'm getting:

Error starting VM 'set-net': internal error: Unable to reset PCI device 0000:00:14:0: no FLR, PM reset or bus reset available

This happens even after rebooting Qubes which usually solves these type of errors. I think dom0 already attached itself to the device on boot so the netVM isn't able to. I'm not sure why it doesn't happen when creating the USB Qube using:

qubesctl top.enable qvm.sys-usb
qubesctl state.highstate

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jun 25, 2016, 7:51:57 AM6/25/16