whonix-secure-proxy service

HW42

Jul 13, 2016, 2:50:27 PM7/13/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, Patrick Schleizer

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jul 13, 2016, 4:33:00 PM7/13/16
to HW42, qubes...@googlegroups.com, Patrick Schleizer

Patrick Schleizer

Jul 13, 2016, 4:49:08 PM7/13/16
to HW42, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi HW42!

HW42:
> in Whonix tunneling apt directly through Tor is only disabled (so that
> the update proxy can be reached) when the whonix-secure-proxy 'service'
> is enabled [0]. What is the purpose of this? Why isn't the "standard"
> updates-proxy-setup used?

The whonix-secure-proxy 'service' is automatically enabled, if connected
to a torified updates proxy. The full mechanism is described here. [1]

There was a Whonix 12 bug. "Templates incorrectly think they're not
connected to a Whonix gateway." [2] Which also showed a warning popup.
Did you see such a popup or hit that bug?

"standard" updates-proxy-setup isn't used to prevent accidental
non-torified, clearnet updates. (design decision [3])

> Context: On a fresh R3.2-rc1 install updating the Whonix templates
> doesn't work since apt tries to reach the proxy via Tor. So the question
> is whether the Whonix package or the template setup should be patched.

The template setup, as in creating the whonix-secure-proxy 'service'
should not be patched.

> [0]: https://github.com/Whonix/qubes-whonix/blob/master/etc/uwt.d/40_qubes.conf#L5

Cheers,
Patrick