Re: [qubes-users] Does the Archlinux Template supports Qubes R3?

Olivier Médoc

Jul 28, 2015, 2:58:55 PM7/28/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 07/01/15 11:29, je.e...@web.de wrote:
> Hello,
>
> does the Archlinux Template supports Qubes R3?
> I would be happy if it does.
>
> Best regards
> J. Eppler

Hello,

You can find the new archlinux minimal template here (for testing):

http://olivier.medoc.free.fr/rpm/noarch/qubes-template-archlinux-minimal-3.0.3-201507281153.noarch.rpm

It should also be possible to update a Qubes-R2 template by changing the
Qubes repository to the following url (in /etc/pacman.conf):
http://olivier.medoc.free.fr/archlinux/r3/

The template RPM is currently not signed. Use it at your own risk.

Packages found in archlinux/r3 are however all signed using my Qubes-OS
signing key.

XO...@riseup.net

Jul 28, 2015, 8:51:43 PM7/28/15
to Olivier Médoc, qubes...@googlegroups.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com
You sir are a saviour! I am gonna give this a run, thank you VERY MUCH
Olivier for your contributions.
Prior to this post, I've been having a HELL of a time getting the
archlinux template to build on R3 - there were sooo many changes needed
to implement to get it built and running.
Since I see you posted this is for testing, I shall report back with
results.

Thank you again.

XO...@riseup.net

Jul 29, 2015, 5:01:08 AM7/29/15
to Olivier Médoc, qubes...@googlegroups.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Olivier,

I tried out your newest archlinux-minimal template tonight, but was unsuccessful at launching any of the applications that come with it, namely 'XTerm' and 'UXTerm'. This is the exact same issue I ran into when attempting to build my own archlinux template on Qubes R3 rc1 using a heavily modified qubes-builder setup. The applications just never "launch".

I went so far as to gain an "archlinux-minimal"  shell from @dom0, via 'virsh -c xen:/// console archlinux-minimal''. I see that there are several systemd services in 'inactive' state, some 'not-found' that I wonder if this could be affecting us? I have attached the output of the command (run as root) 'systemctl --all|grep -i inactive > systemd--inactives.txt' to this email if you desire to take a gander.
I installed a couple other minimal terminals, just to see if I could get eitherof them to work, i.e. 'roxterm', and 'rxvt'.
Lastly, just something I observed and figured I would pass-on = upon installing the above mentioned 2 additional terminal applications, the KDE menu for Qubes did not update until I manually ran 'qvm-sync-appmenus archlinux-minimal'.
The issue remains, that we cannot interact with the archlinux template via Qubes, meaning any application launched from the main KDE menu in Qubes R3-rc1 in the 'archlinux-minimal' context never truly "launches".

Let me know if you desire any help, or need someone to test things here and there, as I am glad to lend my assistance. I am really looking forward to getting an archlinux template up and running on Qubes R3!

Again, thank you for all your efforts and contributions.
systemd--inactives.txt

Connor Page

Aug 25, 2015, 10:54:37 PM8/25/15
to qubes-users, qubes...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, 28 July 2015 19:58:54 UTC+1, Olivier Médoc wrote:

Hello,

You can find the new archlinux minimal template here (for testing):

http://olivier.medoc.free.fr/rpm/noarch/qubes-template-archlinux-minimal-3.0.3-201507281153.noarch.rpm

It should also be possible to update a Qubes-R2 template by changing the
Qubes repository to the following url (in /etc/pacman.conf):
http://olivier.medoc.free.fr/archlinux/r3/

The template RPM is currently not signed. Use it at your own risk.

Packages found in archlinux/r3 are however all signed using my Qubes-OS
signing key.

Thank you very much! I hesitated to try your template but now I really enjoy it as a lighweight base. I expect things to break someday so how quickly qubes updates appear in your repo? Would you consider maintaining PKGBUILDS in AUR? And BTW the links to PKGBUILDS in the documentation (I mean the article that uses Archlinux as guide to porting qubes stuff) are wrong. I guess the packages are not there anymore, are they?

I haven't done any extensive testing but so far I've only encountered the known bugs and missing features.

Jeremias E.

Sep 1, 2015, 11:23:57 AM9/1/15
to qubes-users, qubes...@googlegroups.com
@Connor Page have you found a solution yet?

Connor Page

Sep 2, 2015, 8:58:16 AM9/2/15
On Tuesday, 1 September 2015 16:23:55 UTC+1, Jeremias E. wrote:
@Connor Page have you found a solution yet?

Well, it still works. I believe more restrictive permissions are correct and there's no SElinux in arch template. The bug that probably still persists is that the qubes repo in pacman is linked to R2 packages, not R3. So you have to change that to the correct link that Olivier posted in his announcement and import his key. Pacman will actually tell you which key is needed because it will fail to upgrade without it.