Anti Evil Maid PCRs

szymo...@gmail.com

Jun 19, 2016, 7:24:16 PM6/19/16
to qubes-devel
Hi,
How would Anti Evil Maid detect BIOS/hardware modifications without sealing to PCR 0-3?
By default it seals only to PCR 13,17,18,19.
Marcin

Rusty Bird

Jun 22, 2016, 2:09:21 PM6/22/16
to qubes-devel, szymo...@gmail.com

Chris Laprise

Jun 22, 2016, 4:06:23 PM6/22/16
to Rusty Bird, qubes-devel, szymo...@gmail.com

On 06/22/2016 02:10 PM, Rusty Bird wrote:

> Hi Marcin,
>
>> How would Anti Evil Maid detect BIOS/hardware modifications without
>> sealing to PCR 0-3? By default it seals only to PCR 13,17,18,19.
> PCRs 17-19 come from tboot, which uses Intel TXT to protect BIOS etc.
>
> Rusty

Based on what I've seen from BIOS updates not triggering AEM, I think
this is a valid concern. It should at least be explained.

Chris

Rusty Bird

Jun 22, 2016, 4:41:05 PM6/22/16
to qubes-devel, Chris Laprise, szymo...@gmail.com, Joanna Rutkowska

szymo...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2016, 7:24:44 AM6/24/16
to qubes-devel, tas...@openmailbox.org, szymo...@gmail.com, joa...@invisiblethingslab.com, rust...@openmailbox.org

Hi Chris,

> On 06/22/2016 02:10 PM, Rusty Bird wrote:

>> Hi Marcin,
>>
>>> How would Anti Evil Maid detect BIOS/hardware modifications
>>> without sealing to PCR 0-3? By default it seals only to PCR
>>> 13,17,18,19.
>> PCRs 17-19 come from tboot, which uses Intel TXT to protect BIOS
>> etc.

> Based on what I've seen from BIOS updates not triggering AEM, I
> think this is a valid concern. It should at least be explained.

I'm out of my depth here -- maybe Joanna can provide an authoritative
response? -- but AFAIK a more correct phrasing would have been that
TXT is supposed to protect *from* the BIOS, i.e. to sanitize the early
boot state so as to remove the BIOS from the TCB. Which ITL have shown
it fails to really do; a malicous BIOS can circumvent AEM no matter if
the old approach (TrustedGRUB) or the new approach (TXT) is used. But
this might explain why a legit BIOS update does not necessarily change
the PCR measurements?

Rusty

Isn't malicious BIOS a threat even if you remove BIOS from the TCB and don't use it to assure bootloader and OS integrity?
For example can't malicious BIOS capture keystrokes even if you protected your bootloader and OS with TXT?
Also note
states "AEM will inform you of any unauthorized modifications to your BIOS or boot partition".
I'm not sure AEM will inform you of modifications to BIOS indeed and if not then Security Guidelines are misleading what is bad.

Marcin