Qubes tools in Debian HVM

Micah Lee

Oct 2, 2016, 2:13:07 PM10/2/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I'm attempting to creating an HVM template based on Debian with a
grsecurity kernel. But first, I'd like to my HVM to be able to use
qrexec services like copying files.

I installed Debian Stretch in an HVM template and I added the Qubes R3
repository to my apt sources, as well as the right key:

deb [arch=amd64] http://deb.qubes-os.org/r3.2/vm stretch main

I looked at what packages from that repo are currently installed in my
debian-9 template and tried installing them in the HVM:

apt install -y libqrexec-utils2 libqubesdb libqubes-rpc-filecopy2
libvchan-xen libxen-4.6 libxenstore3.0 qubes-core-agent qubesdb
qubesdb-vm qubes-gpg-split qubes-gui-agent qubes-pdf-converter
qubes-thunderbird qubes-usb-proxy qubes-utils xenstore-utils
xen-utils-common

Then I rebooted. In hindsight, I clearly shouldn't have actually
expected this to work. When I boot the HVM I'm getting a bunch of
failures and timeouts, and it's taking forever to run Init Qubes
Services [1].

[1] http://i.imgur.com/qbIXlaV.png

I'd like to be able to use qvm-copy-to-vm, qubes-gpg-client, etc.,
within this HVM. Is this something that's possible without a huge amount
of work or writing new software?

HW42

Oct 2, 2016, 3:19:33 PM10/2/16
to Micah Lee, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Micah Lee

Oct 3, 2016, 2:33:13 PM10/3/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 10/02/2016 12:18 PM, HW42 wrote:
> It can work. I only tried it yet by converting an existing PV template.
> So I might miss stuff which is required when converting an "normal"
> Debian install (double check /etc/fstab). You need to do at least:
>
> apt-get install qubes-kernel-vm-support # and rebuild initramfs?
>
> remove /dev/xvdc1 from /etc/fstab
>
> qvm-prefs -s $hvm qrexec_installed true
> qvm-prefs -s $hvm quiagent-installed true
> sed -e '/<video/,+2d' /var/lib/qubes/appvms/$hvm/$hvm.conf > /tmp/$hvm.conf
> qvm-start --custom-config=/tmp/$hvm.conf $hvm
>
> In R4 this will be much more painless ;]

Thanks for the help! I haven't yet succeeded in booting my HVM, but I
got a bit closer. I think I've come to the conclusion though that I can
save myself a lot of work by attempting to get this working in R4.