Fedora upgrade doc naming

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Nov 27, 2016, 11:48:07 AM11/27/16
to Andrew David Wong, qubes-devel

Jean-Philippe Ouellet

Nov 27, 2016, 2:56:30 PM11/27/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Andrew David Wong, qubes-devel
On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 11:48 AM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
<marm...@invisiblethingslab.com> wrote:
> "Upgrading the Fedora 23 Template to Fedora 24"?
Sounds fine to me.

> "Upgrading to the Fedora 23 Template"?
Implies you are on <23 and does not not suggest it provides
instructions for 23->24, etc.

How about combining them & using "Upgrading Fedora templates to new
major releases"?

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Nov 27, 2016, 4:15:41 PM11/27/16
to Jean-Philippe Ouellet, Andrew David Wong, qubes-devel

Unman

Nov 27, 2016, 6:14:20 PM11/27/16
to Jean-Philippe Ouellet, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Andrew David Wong, qubes-devel
On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 02:56:02PM -0500, Jean-Philippe Ouellet wrote:
That would result in overly long instructions.

One advantage of keeping the page per upgrade model is that it makes it
easier to drop old instruction sets.
For what it's worth, I don't see a problem with the existing heading - it
does not carry the implication that Marek sees. In any case the proposed
text is already there on each page in the Summary heading.

unman

Chris Laprise

Nov 27, 2016, 6:21:39 PM11/27/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Jean-Philippe Ouellet, Andrew David Wong, qubes-devel
On 11/27/2016 04:15 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 02:56:02PM -0500, Jean-Philippe Ouellet wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 11:48 AM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
>> <marm...@invisiblethingslab.com> wrote:
>>> "Upgrading the Fedora 23 Template to Fedora 24"?
>> Sounds fine to me.
>>
>>> "Upgrading to the Fedora 23 Template"?
>> Implies you are on <23 and does not not suggest it provides
>> instructions for 23->24, etc.
> I meant 24 there...
>
>> How about combining them & using "Upgrading Fedora templates to new
>> major releases"?
> There are not exactly the same, for example 20->21 instruction have
> additional step of removing conflicting packages. Also older releases
> use yum, newer - dnf.
> But indeed, it may still be a good idea to combine the pages, and have
> release-specific sections below, like here:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_package_manager
>
> - --

Does it make sense to keep instructions for "upgrading" a template to an
OS version that's past end-of-life?

Chris

Unman

Nov 27, 2016, 6:24:34 PM11/27/16
to Chris Laprise, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Jean-Philippe Ouellet, Andrew David Wong, qubes-devel
As an intermediate step toward one that is supported, it may be
necessary.

Andrew David Wong

Nov 27, 2016, 7:50:15 PM11/27/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-devel

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Nov 28, 2016, 8:03:50 PM11/28/16
to Andrew David Wong, qubes-devel