Qubes 3.2 - templates

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

May 4, 2016, 4:25:13 PM5/4/16
to qubes-devel

Chris Laprise

May 4, 2016, 6:29:57 PM5/4/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-devel
The debian 8 I got a while back was already quite minimal. It would be
nice to have two debian 8 templates like fedora: One with a desktop
environment installed and a minimal one (that is because installing a
template simply labeled "debian 8" and getting zero applications or GUI
tools is confusing).

Having debian9 available would be nice since it is likely to get the
wpasupplicant 2.4 / NetworkManager 1.2 combination that enables the
system to randomize/spoof wifi MAC addresses in a seamless and automatic
way. OTOH, fedora 24 already has these versions of wpasupplicant and
NetworkManager (and my brief attempt to backport them to f23 was
error-free - and, sadly - feature free: The randomization behavior did
not materialize).

TL;DR: f24 is the shortest route I can see right now to a compelling new
privacy feature, which Qubes 3.2 could then claim as well. I suggest
putting it on the front burner.

Chris

Andrew David Wong

May 4, 2016, 6:44:47 PM5/4/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-devel

Patrick Schleizer

May 4, 2016, 11:17:56 PM5/4/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I personally couldn't care less about minimal templates. As per the 80 /
20 rule, they're apparently the "20 % that cause 80 % work" and should
therefore dropped. Or at least allowed to cause as little effort as
possible. Their best use case is geeks. People who think they can be
even more secure by using minimal templates. And then running into lots
of issues and requesting help spending lots of their and others time.
Not something that pays off.

I am unsure about Debian [and Fedora] testing templates, but these may
be useful to allow testers moving forward. (I might use them myself as a
testing base to run 'sudo apt-get install whonix-(gateway|workstation)'
the closer Debian stretch comes. However, also let's not eat it too much
time.

Cheers,
Patrick

Ivan

May 5, 2016, 3:12:40 AM5/5/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On 05/05/2016 06:17 AM, Patrick Schleizer wrote:
> I personally couldn't care less about minimal templates. As per the 80 /
> 20 rule, they're apparently the "20 % that cause 80 % work" and should
> therefore dropped. Or at least allowed to cause as little effort as
> possible. Their best use case is geeks. People who think they can be
> even more secure by using minimal templates. And then running into lots
> of issues and requesting help spending lots of their and others time.
> Not something that pays off.

Not everybody has vast amounts of RAM so minimal templates are
definitively useful when running quite a few VMs without GUI (eg.
network topology or HA/clustering testing, command line tools, ...).

My only gripe with the multiplication of same-distro templates is that
they each download almost identical metadata/packages during update. I'm
wondering how that could be solved (caching proxy ? something more
specific to yum/dnf ?). Right now I have 3 fedora templates - minimal,
standard (qubes' default), and a "heavy" unsecure one with multimedia
stuff and third party yum repos, and it takes quite a lot of bandwidth
to update all of them, often with 90% identical data.

Andrew David Wong

May 5, 2016, 5:02:03 AM5/5/16
to Ivan, qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 2016-05-05 00:12, Ivan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 05/05/2016 06:17 AM, Patrick Schleizer wrote:
>> I personally couldn't care less about minimal templates. As per
>> the 80 / 20 rule, they're apparently the "20 % that cause 80 %
>> work" and should therefore dropped. Or at least allowed to cause
>> as little effort as possible. Their best use case is geeks.
>> People who think they can be even more secure by using minimal
>> templates. And then running into lots of issues and requesting
>> help spending lots of their and others time. Not something that
>> pays off.
>
> Not everybody has vast amounts of RAM so minimal templates are
> definitively useful when running quite a few VMs without GUI (eg.
> network topology or HA/clustering testing, command line tools,
> ...).
>
> My only gripe with the multiplication of same-distro templates is
> that they each download almost identical metadata/packages during
> update. I'm wondering how that could be solved (caching proxy ?
> something more specific to yum/dnf ?). Right now I have 3 fedora
> templates - minimal, standard (qubes' default), and a "heavy"
> unsecure one with multimedia stuff and third party yum repos, and
> it takes quite a lot of bandwidth to update all of them, often with
> 90% identical data.

Thanks for mentioning this. It's an idea that has been brought up
several times on the mailing lists over the years, but it looks like
we never had an issue to track it, so I've made one:

>> I am unsure about Debian [and Fedora] testing templates, but
>> these may be useful to allow testers moving forward. (I might use
>> them myself as a testing base to run 'sudo apt-get install
>> whonix-(gateway|workstation)' the closer Debian stretch comes.
>> However, also let's not eat it too much time.
>>
>> Cheers, Patrick

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org

Patrick Schleizer

May 5, 2016, 1:13:26 PM5/5/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Ivan:
> Not everybody has vast amounts of RAM so minimal templates are
> definitively useful when running quite a few VMs without GUI (eg.
> network topology or HA/clustering testing, command line tools, ...).

How much more RAM do minimal templates use?

I would argue, we are better off telling users as advanced as this to
customize the template by uninstalling any undesired packages.

Ivan

May 6, 2016, 3:30:03 AM5/6/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi Patrick,

On 05/05/2016 08:13 PM, Patrick Schleizer wrote:
> Ivan:
>> Not everybody has vast amounts of RAM so minimal templates are
>> definitively useful when running quite a few VMs without GUI (eg.
>> network topology or HA/clustering testing, command line tools, ...).
>
> How much more RAM do minimal templates use?

(I guess you meant the opposite)

It seemed logical that RAM usage is significantly lower without the
bazillion processes running in the background (gfs*, pulseaudio, gnome*,
and whatnot.)

But - your post had me thinking of why one would use minimal templates
in Qubes. The reason in my case is habit - because of years (think 2
decades) of configuring workstations, servers and then VMs with the
lowest RAM/disk usage possible. But since disk space is not really a
concern in Qubes thanks to overlays, it would be perfectly fine to have
a standard template with a systemd state configured with only the
minimal services needed to work fine in Qubes.

> I would argue, we are better off telling users as advanced as this to
> customize the template by uninstalling any undesired packages.

Yes, in addition to documenting the "minimal" systemd state of the
default template.

So yeah, you're right - no minimal template is needed then. The only
downside is having to download more updates than needed for unused
packages, which will be piling up when running many VMs. A caching
mechanism (as discussed in issue #1957) would solve that though.

Cheers,
Ivan

Holger Levsen

May 6, 2016, 4:53:00 AM5/6/16
to qubes-devel
Hi Marek,

On Wed, May 04, 2016 at 10:25:03PM +0200, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> This is about availability at all (including updates), not necessary
> being included on installation ISO.

ok, cool. availablility is much more important… :)

> My personal opinion is to:
> - have Debian 8 minimal
> - drop Fedora 22

here i'm with you.

> - don't release Debian 9 template (until Debian 9 final release), but
> have packages for it on deb.qubes-os.org (just like in Qubes 3.1).

why not? (also I'm not sure what having those packages there
implies. Would I get other updates as well if I'd enable that repo?)

My goal would be to have Debian stable (8), testing and unstable templates,
all minimal. And oldstable (7) & stable "full" templates. My goal and my
needs.

> - the same with Fedora 24

I'd assume that for people working on/with Fedora, having either Fedora
"stable+1" (so 24 now) and rawhide templates would be equally useful.

Maybe it makes sense to make it obvious, that these development
templates are not stable, either by putting something in their names or
in their repo name…

--
cheers,
Holger

Franz

May 6, 2016, 7:26:48 AM5/6/16
to Holger Levsen, qubes-devel
For the average user, not so technical, Sys-net, sys-hub, sys-firewall are based on Fedora-23 and remain that way to avoid headaches. But using Debian for all other ApplVMs, Fedora-23 is kept, and regularly updated only for sys-VMs. So the only reason I see to keep a minimal template is to have a minimal Fedora one on which sys-VMs are based to reduce updates to a minimum.

But, as Patrick noted, if a minimal template is a lot of work, it is certainly enough (and warmly advised) to provide just a script in Fedora template that removes everything except what is strictly necessary for sys-VMs, with clear instructions about how to do that.

In my opinion Qubes should invest less in the hyper-technical that only very few users can appreciate and more on the easy-of-use and audio and video communications easiness that most people use.

Best
Fran

--
cheers,
        Holger

Chris Laprise

May 6, 2016, 10:35:30 AM5/6/16
to Franz, Holger Levsen, qubes-devel

On 05/06/2016 07:26 AM, Franz wrote:

> For the average user, not so technical, Sys-net, sys-hub, sys-firewall
> are based on Fedora-23 and remain that way to avoid headaches. But
> using Debian for all other ApplVMs, Fedora-23 is kept, and regularly
> updated only for sys-VMs. So the only reason I see to keep a minimal
> template is to have a minimal Fedora one on which sys-VMs are based to
> reduce updates to a minimum.
>
> But, as Patrick noted, if a minimal template is a lot of work, it is
> certainly enough (and warmly advised) to provide just a script in
> Fedora template that removes everything except what is strictly
> necessary for sys-VMs, with clear instructions about how to do that.
>
> *In my opinion Qubes should invest less in the hyper-technical that
> only very few users can appreciate and more on the easy-of-use and
> audio and video communications easiness that most people use.*
>
> Best
> Fran
>
> --
> cheers,
> Holger

Debian 8 is working great for service vms on my systems.

Your point about ease of use is very apt. I think ITL should compile a
list of core desktop use cases that it wants to perfect from both a
functional and UX point of view. Having use cases explicitly spelled out
can be surprisingly effective at keeping a project on track, and even
driving development.

Chris

Chris Laprise

May 6, 2016, 6:31:47 PM5/6/16
to Ivan, qubes...@googlegroups.com
I can agree with most of this. Its been a long time since running X11
and a handful of desktop daemons has had a subjectively large impact on
RAM use.

My main qualm is that someone installing "the debian template" ends up
with minimal or nearly-so. Most users who rely on the desktop apps will
get thrown off by this.

I'll add that UBUNTU should also be back on the menu... Its the only
truly desktop-focused distro that's been considered for Qubes, while
fedora and debian lack that focus. Qubes probably won't succeed at being
a desktop system itself with just fedora and debian as primary offerings.

Chris

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

May 6, 2016, 8:46:40 PM5/6/16
to Holger Levsen, qubes-devel

Achim Patzner

May 7, 2016, 4:25:36 AM5/7/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 05/06/2016 04:22 PM, Chris Laprise wrote:

> My main qualm is that someone installing "the debian template" ends up
> with minimal or nearly-so. Most users who rely on the desktop apps
> will get thrown off by this.

Worse: That someone will probably not know hot to update the template
properly.

> I'll add that UBUNTU should also be back on the menu...

To quote the "Life of Brian": He said Jehova...

I've been waiting fot being able to compile it myself for six months
now. It seems nobody really cares. Seems that using the Fedora template
is like drinking Jim Beam -- nobody really likes it but people get used
to it.

> Its the only truly desktop-focused distro that's been considered for
> Qubes, while fedora and debian lack that focus. Qubes probably won't
> succeed at being a desktop system itself with just fedora and debian
> as primary offerings.

!.

Achim

Holger Levsen

May 8, 2016, 12:18:38 PM5/8/16
On Sat, May 07, 2016 at 02:46:31AM +0200, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> This means you can't install template the easy way (qubes-dom0-update
> qubes-template-debian-9), but you can clone debian-8 and dist-upgrade
> into debian-9.

I know I can create my own templates, so maybe this is indeed
sufficient…

Just that I expect to basically daily create stretch and sid VMs…
several times a day :)

--
cheers,
Holger

Henry de Valence

May 10, 2016, 8:50:45 AM5/10/16
to Patrick Schleizer, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, May 05, 2016 at 03:17:51AM +0000, Patrick Schleizer wrote:
> Their best use case is geeks. People who think they can be
> even more secure by using minimal templates.

In fact there are concrete security benefits to using miminal templates. Here
is one example: since Qubes provides no isolation mechanism other than Xen
domains, the only safe way to open an untrusted PDF is to use a DispVM.
Otherwise, a PDF exploit can take over the entire domain.

As far as I know, the only way to prevent accidentally opening an untrusted PDF
(by, e.g., left-clicking instead of right-clicking, or hitting the wrong key in
emacs which accidentally opens a file link, or ... any of the other 9 million
ways to launch software on a Linux desktop) is to have no installed software in
the template that can open PDFs. Similar considerations apply to all kinds of
other software, e.g., media players, etc.

Moreover, not using minimal templates has performance costs: with the PDF
example, when not using a minimal (DVM) template, each PDF document's DispVM is
running its own abrt-applet, nm-applet, ssh-agent, gnome-keyring-daemon,
gnome-settings-daemon, systemd-journal, etc.

So, I think that there are concrete use-cases for minimal templates to provide
both security and performance benefits.

Cheers,
Henry de Valence

Unman

May 10, 2016, 10:57:34 AM5/10/16
to Henry de Valence, Patrick Schleizer, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Yes, this is absolutely right. Despite what Patrick says, people *will* be
more secure using minimal templates.
This has been covered on the lists before - some use minimal based qubes
and open ALL attachments etc in non networked qubes based on full
templates. That isn't geeky.

The 20/80 claim is just nonsense. There's no evidence at all that
minimal templates generate significant issues - nothing compared to
whonix/nouveau/proxy/installation problems.

It seems odd to me to disparage geeks when there's current
discussion about implementing awesome.

The current bloat on installation is problematic - why not offer a
number of media? There could be full,(needs usb), basic (fits dvd), and
minimal. It shouldn't take much change to build script to produce these
flavours.

unman

Jeremias E.

May 10, 2016, 11:40:22 AM5/10/16
to qubes-devel
Hello,

a rolling release distribution based on Archlinux template VM would be awesome.

A rolling release distribution has the advantage of being up-to-date, have new software packages
and it does not require constant version upgrades.

Best regards
  Jeremias Eppler

Ivan

May 10, 2016, 2:38:52 PM5/10/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 05/10/2016 03:50 PM, Henry de Valence wrote:
> On Thu, May 05, 2016 at 03:17:51AM +0000, Patrick Schleizer wrote:
>> Their best use case is geeks. People who think they can be
>> even more secure by using minimal templates.
>
> In fact there are concrete security benefits to using miminal templates. Here
> is one example: since Qubes provides no isolation mechanism other than Xen
> domains, the only safe way to open an untrusted PDF is to use a DispVM.
> Otherwise, a PDF exploit can take over the entire domain.
>
> As far as I know, the only way to prevent accidentally opening an untrusted PDF
> (by, e.g., left-clicking instead of right-clicking, or hitting the wrong key in
> emacs which accidentally opens a file link, or ... any of the other 9 million
> ways to launch software on a Linux desktop) is to have no installed software in
> the template that can open PDFs. Similar considerations apply to all kinds of
> other software, e.g., media players, etc.
>
> Moreover, not using minimal templates has performance costs: with the PDF
> example, when not using a minimal (DVM) template, each PDF document's DispVM is
> running its own abrt-applet, nm-applet, ssh-agent, gnome-keyring-daemon,
> gnome-settings-daemon, systemd-journal, etc.

I don't follow your reasoning.

- dispVM can't be based on a minimal template if you expect to be able
to open <quote>all kind of software, eg. media players, etc.</quote>.
Try to install a media player, a pdf reader, libreoffice, ... in a
minimal template to see the dependencies that will be pulled. It won't
be minimal anymore. It wouldn't also be convenient to have a specific
template for each application - eg. a dispPDFVM, a dispMediaVM, a
dispFooVM, ..., so eventually dispVM is going to be quite the same as
the "standard" template.

- the VM you call the disposable VM from will rarely be based on a
minimal template either. Otherwise, how are files supposed to be on that
VM, except without running qvm-copy-vm ? I mean, you'll need a web
browser from which you download stuff, a mail client, ...

The only case I can think of where you would open file from a "minimal"
VM is when you have a non-networked VM for a dedicated use (eg. "vault")
where you copy files with qvm-copy-vm and where you really don't want to
open a pdf/docx/... by mistake. But then you could use a standard
template and simply set $PATH to a folder where you symlink the binaries
you deem safe, assuming you're working in a terminal.
But you mention "right click", which implies using a file application,
which means you're probably already running a few "unsafe" processes
like file preview/thumbnail. Also, having emacs in a minimal template is
not exactly my idea of "minimal", so who gets to decide what would be
installed in the minimal template ?

I guess most users think by habit of minimal templates as a way to
minimize resources (RAM/CPU/disk space). As mentioned in a previous
post, since disk space is not an issue in Qubes, one can probably reach
a similar minimal RAM/CPU footprint by configuring a systemd state
without the stuff you mention (abrt-applet, nm-applet, ...).

> So, I think that there are concrete use-cases for minimal templates to provide
> both security and performance benefits.

The minimal template you describe in your PDF example is not minimal -
it has a PDF viewer. User XYZ may not need a PDF viewer in their minimal
template, but an image viewer. And user ABC may not need anything but an
office suite. Etc.
So either the "minimal" template is minimal like Fedora/RH used to have
as an option at install time, or it's "standard" because users have
different expectations and need different programs.

I'm genuinely interested - do you have a concrete use-case with a "real"
minimal template with improved security and performance over a standard
template running in an alternate "minimal" systemd state and with $PATH
set to a folder with symlinked/whitelisted binaries ?

(BTW, this whole discussion is moot if providing minimal templates is
not a burden for Qubes devs, but I remember seeing some issues specific
to those, so it's definitely non-zero).

> Cheers,
> Henry de Valence

Cheers,
ivan

Andrew David Wong

May 10, 2016, 5:31:58 PM5/10/16
to Ivan, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Jeremias E.

May 10, 2016, 6:44:39 PM5/10/16
to qubes-devel, iv...@c3i.bg
Hello Andrew,

your setup should be the default for the email VM.

Best regards
  J. Eppler

Henry de Valence

May 10, 2016, 6:53:26 PM5/10/16
to Andrew David Wong, Ivan, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 02:31:46PM -0700, Andrew David Wong wrote:
> I think you may have misunderstood Henry's description. I'll give an
> actual example of a setup I'm using right now.

Yes, sorry for any confusion -- this description is exactly what I
meant.

> In other words, it's not the DispVM that's minimal; it's my email VM.
> The idea is to make it so that I can't accidentally open a malicious
> link or PDF in this VM and to minimize the attack surface of this VM.
> While my minimal email VM is running all the time, the
> full-template-based DispVM is open only while I'm reading a PDF, so
> there's less resource usage overall.

Another point is that although the attack surface of the dispVM is
larger, there (should be) no opportunity for persistence, whereas in the
persistent VMs the attack surface (and functionality) is reduced.

Cheers,
Henry

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)

May 10, 2016, 7:48:39 PM5/10/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 05/04/2016 10:44 PM, Andrew David Wong wrote:
> On 2016-05-04 13:25, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> > My personal opinion is to: - have Debian 8 minimal - drop Fedora
> > 22 - don't release Debian 9 template (until Debian 9 final
> > release), but have packages for it on deb.qubes-os.org (just like
> > in Qubes 3.1). - the same with Fedora 24
>

> I agree. However, it's worth noting that Fedora 24 is currently
> scheduled to be released much sooner (2016-06-14) than Debian 9 (some
> time after 2017-02-05). I would consider the availability of a Fedora
> 24 template shortly after the release date "nice to have" but not
> essential.

I would prefer if it was essential to include F24. It's a pain to use
outdated software.

--
Rudd-O
http://rudd-o.com/

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)

May 10, 2016, 7:54:51 PM5/10/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 05/06/2016 07:29 AM, Ivan wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
> On 05/05/2016 08:13 PM, Patrick Schleizer wrote:
>> Ivan:
>>> Not everybody has vast amounts of RAM so minimal templates are
>>> definitively useful when running quite a few VMs without GUI (eg.
>>> network topology or HA/clustering testing, command line tools, ...).
>>
>> How much more RAM do minimal templates use?
>
> (I guess you meant the opposite)
>
> It seemed logical that RAM usage is significantly lower without the
> bazillion processes running in the background (gfs*, pulseaudio,
> gnome*, and whatnot.)

It isn't just logical. It is a fact that I have verified locally.

--
Rudd-O
http://rudd-o.com/

Chris Laprise

May 10, 2016, 10:51:21 PM5/10/16
to Unman, Henry de Valence, Patrick Schleizer, qubes...@googlegroups.com
OK, assuming I am using desktop templates for service vms: How does one
attack sys-net and sys-firewall using pdf files?
:D

Chris

Ivan

May 11, 2016, 4:43:24 AM5/11/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the example, that makes sense. I now understand better what
Henry had in mind in the first two paragraphs of his post (the last part
about dispVM resources still seems to advocate using disp VMs with
minimal templates though).

Cheers,
Ivan

Unman

May 13, 2016, 6:56:00 PM5/13/16
to Chris Laprise, Henry de Valence, Patrick Schleizer, qubes...@googlegroups.com
I would love to tell you, but then, of course, I'd have to kill you.

The point is, of course, that it isn't pdf *files* that are the problem
for service qubes. It's the libraries, helper programs and so on that
are installed if you are running a system capable of parsing and
displaying PDF files.

Look at any decent security device and it's stripped as far as possible
- unnecessary programs and services removed, libraries cut and kernel
tweaked to minimum.
I don't see why the same shouldn't be done for service qubes.

Of course, with qubes, one isn't concerned by privilege escalation, but
the possibility of chaining exploits remains, and that's why it makes
sense to limit the scope.

In the case of normal qubes,(work,email), I see it as as important a
part of securing the environment as the firewall. Just as the firewall
secures against unintentional leaks, so use of a minimal template
secures against both unintentional and intentional leaks.
If the qube has the program installed then there's a risk that the user
will open it by mistake - use of a minimal template ensures that a user
doesn't open a potentially malicious program in the home qube.

unman

Chris Laprise

May 13, 2016, 8:00:41 PM5/13/16
to Unman, Henry de Valence, Patrick Schleizer, qubes...@googlegroups.com
I think its precisely these sorts of non-isolation security tactics that
ought to be recognized for their limited scope. What you say makes sense
in certain contexts, such as when using various high-level applications
and data-oriented utilities. I don't think it quite reaches into the
operational domain of regular service vms... if for no other reason than
the associated Qubes UIs do not invite accidental opening of files in
service vms (but there are other reasons).

What's right about the default Qubes installation is that a template
configured for a reasonably full desktop experience is utilized... this
represents a balance between elegant simplicity and functionality, and
against unnecessary duplication and demands on the users' attention.

What's wrong about the concept of "minimal template" is that every
single specific task has its own unique requirement for minimalist
security. Qubes already has a tendency to generate a kind of 'template
pollution' by the user in the course of regular use. Exacerbating that
tendency with a poorly-defined ethic of minimalism could just make it
worse for little or no benefit (remembering that we're not talking about
dom0 minimalism here).

We already know the desktop templates are intended to fulfill the role
of general desktop use. Assuming that minimal templates have any part to
play in enhancing Qubes security, there should be an explicit
understanding of what roles a minimal template serves, and what it needs
to include to be useful enough, and when starting with minimal is
gratuitous and poor form. The worst possible outcome is to have a
culture develop without this understanding, and start to develop docs
and howtos that habitually tell people to "1. Clone minimal template"
because it makes good security theater. What that leads to is ugly and
confusing, and improves domain isolation not one iota.

Chris

timcol...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2016, 8:29:23 AM6/21/16
to qubes-devel
BTW - 3.2 install was buttery smooth vs 3.1 and the interface is spot on - basically this is what Qubes experience has been most frustrating - just the struggle to get it up and running - AMAZING job! Im referring to the test 20160607 ISO btw.