XenGT - Full (Intel) GPU virtualization

Danny Fullerton

Mar 20, 2014, 2:50:26 PM3/20/14
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Joanna Rutkowska

Mar 23, 2014, 6:08:39 AM3/23/14
to Danny Fullerton, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 03/20/14 19:50, Danny Fullerton wrote:
> FYI - here's some important update about XenGT
>
> http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2014/03/11/xen-graphics-virtualization-xengt/

This gives some more info:

http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/XenGT-Xen%20Summit-v7_0.pdf

So, some questions regarding slide #19, which is of most importance to
Qubes trusted GUI model:

1) Which of those two modes "Direct" vs. "Indirect" is currently
supported? Obviously we need the indirect one in Qubes OS.

2) If indirect is supported, are there any exemplary "OpenGL App"
available (the green box on the slide)?

Perhaps some of the XenGT authors are also on the list? (After all Qubes
OS seems like the primary target for their work...)

3) Can this work with, specifically the Indirect Model, the
vGT/i915/OpenGL compositing app all located in non-Dom0 VM? (We're
planning to have a separate GUI domain in Qubes OS R3)?

Thanks,
joanna.

signature.asc

Jason M

Dec 1, 2014, 1:46:29 AM12/1/14
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, nor...@mantor.org

On Sunday, 23 March 2014 06:08:39 UTC-4, joanna wrote:
On 03/20/14 19:50, Danny Fullerton wrote:
> FYI - here's some important update about XenGT
>
> http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2014/03/11/xen-graphics-virtualization-xengt/

This gives some more info:

http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/XenGT-Xen%20Summit-v7_0.pdf

So, some questions regarding slide #19, which is of most importance to
Qubes trusted GUI model:

1) Which of those two modes "Direct" vs. "Indirect" is currently
supported? Obviously we need the indirect one in Qubes OS.

Looks like both mode are supported

2) If indirect is supported, are there any exemplary "OpenGL App"
available (the green box on the slide)?

Not Sure

Perhaps some of the XenGT authors are also on the list? (After all Qubes
OS seems like the primary target for their work...)

3) Can this work with, specifically the Indirect Model, the
vGT/i915/OpenGL compositing app all located in non-Dom0 VM? (We're
planning to have a separate GUI domain in Qubes OS R3)?

Looks like it would also be supported.

There test platform is using Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04 with the following configurations (as of Nov 15)
  • linux kernel
    linux-3.14.1
  • qemu-vgt
    QEMU-1.3.0
  • xen-vgt
    RELEASE-4.3.1

Looks like they support up to 3 Guest VM's.  Not really sure what that means though :)  Could be that you can only have 3 external monitors going at once since they do mention that as a limitation.

Setup Guide: https://github.com/01org/XenGT-Preview-kernel/raw/master/XenGT_Setup_Guide.pdf.

I have only very briefly looked though the specs, but I may just go pick up some external USB3 memory and take it for a spin to see how difficult it may be to integrate with Qubes.

Jason M

Dec 1, 2014, 2:30:22 AM12/1/14
On Monday, 1 December 2014 01:46:29 UTC-5, Jason M wrote:

There test platform is using Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04 with the following configurations (as of Nov 15)
  • linux kernel
    linux-3.14.1
  • qemu-vgt
    QEMU-1.3.0
  • xen-vgt
    RELEASE-4.3.1
I just quickly reviewed the patches made available by Intel for the above configuration and it looks that it would not be too difficult to adapt the patches to other versions where the kernel would be the easiest followed by qemu leaving xen which would be the most time consuming.

Can Qubes 3 be built using the above specs? If so, I could attempt to build with qubes-builder for experimentation.

somenam...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2016, 3:21:06 AM4/19/16
to qubes-devel, nor...@mantor.org
I realize this is an ancient thread, but... any progress on this one?

Any chance XenGT will once upon a time will allow laptop QubesOS users to use Intel's GPUs in AppVMs ? (kinda important there due to battery constraints and processor power, if doing video-intensive tasks)

demia...@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2018, 11:51:48 AM3/21/18
to qubes-devel
Another year has almost passed by. So have you any news regarding GPU virtualization for Qubes OS?

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Mar 21, 2018, 12:45:39 PM3/21/18
to demia...@gmail.com, qubes-devel