Time for Qubes to "Cross The Chasm"

Patrick Bouldin

May 7, 2017, 12:36:05 PM5/7/17
to qubes-devel
I hope it's ok I post this in the dev forum as I think you all are the correct group.

I've said before I love this system. Some of you know I'm not nearly as Linux techie as most on here - but I'm moving as fast as I can. The fact is I do spend a reasonable amount of time fixing my issues - but I do have a suggestion.

Are you familiar with the very well known and respected business book "Crossing The Chasm?". I won't bore you with the details - if you'd like to learn more and you're deeply involved in Qubes I highly recommend the read - and it's updated as of about 2014. You'll not find a single major technology company exec who doesn't know this book well.

Bottom line - early market technology enthusiasts (like me, and most on here) "buy" into the product because we see the value of the product, want to be first and ahead of the curve - and, we generally are more agreeable to "pay the cost". But for Qubes, or any product in that zone to cross into the major market (is that a goal?) then it has to appeal to the main stream pragmatists - they won't jump until there are some while-product basics covered. I realize the "core" product is free - doesn't affect my post here - so I continue...

One of the basics is support. First - I am so thankful to all of you for pouring your heart and soul on the support you have - big kuddos from all of us - thank you so much.

However, you can't scale your free support into the mainstream, even if you wanted to.

I for one am ready to spend a reasonable amount of cash to pay for support on helping me through some important issues holding me back. I feel that your organization could open that support tier up - telephone support, online support - to help with specific issues. The main stream market will not "hack it out" like I'm doing, and have been.

I hope this post is viewed not as critical, but thankful and hopefully contributing to positive thought.

Best,
Patrick

Andrew David Wong

May 7, 2017, 1:29:01 PM5/7/17
to Patrick Bouldin, qubes-devel

Patrick Bouldin

May 7, 2017, 2:20:58 PM5/7/17
to qubes-devel
Thanks, Andrew, I appreciate you're ok with the dialog. I think I can get the reasons, more or less and it's understandable.

Something in the interim might fill the gap though. How about another group called qubes-PaidHelp  ? I guess it doesn't even have to be run by you all but would be nice if you could get behind it. People could post their problem and others could offer hourly help, perhaps pay with PayPal for example. It's not ideal but might help in the interim.  Just extra thoughts - thanks again.

Patrick

Andrew David Wong

May 7, 2017, 2:32:47 PM5/7/17
to Patrick Bouldin, qubes-devel