Windows Tools in Qubes 3.0-rc1

Micah Lee

Apr 24, 2015, 3:27:22 PM4/24/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I'm running Qubes 3.0-rc1, and I'm trying to install Qubes Windows Tools
in a win7 HVM.

In dom0 when I run:

sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-windows-tools

I get the error:

No package qubes-windows-tools available.

And while I expect it not to work because I didn't install it, when I run:

qvm-start win7 --install-windows-tools

It fails with a traceback that ends with:

libvirt.libvirtError: internal error: libxenlight failed to create new
domain 'win7'

--
Micah Lee

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Apr 24, 2015, 3:30:50 PM4/24/15
to Micah Lee, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Rafał Wojdyła

Apr 24, 2015, 3:50:21 PM4/24/15
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Micah Lee, qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 2015-04-24 21:29, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 12:27:18PM -0700, Micah Lee wrote:
>> I'm running Qubes 3.0-rc1, and I'm trying to install Qubes
>> Windows Tools in a win7 HVM.
>
>> In dom0 when I run:
>
>> sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-windows-tools
>
>> I get the error:
>
>> No package qubes-windows-tools available.
>
>> And while I expect it not to work because I didn't install it,
>> when I run:
>
>> qvm-start win7 --install-windows-tools
>
>> It fails with a traceback that ends with:
>
>> libvirt.libvirtError: internal error: libxenlight failed to
>> create new domain 'win7'
>
> Take a look at "Known issues"[1] section:
>
> "There is no Qubes Windows Tools for Qubes R3.0 yet. We are working
> on this"
>
> [1]
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/InstallationGuideR3.0rc1/#known-issues

To expand on that, we've run into a lot of problems with our current
GPL Xen PV drivers for Windows in R3. Mainly, they just didn't
implement some functionality that's needed for our new libvchan (and
qrexec). I implemented the missing stuff but then I've also
experienced really strange PV disk behavior that leads to unbootable
OS, and that's not fun to debug (the PV disk driver doesn't report any
errors, but the OS somehow maps wrong partition structure on the PV
disks).

In the end I decided to use the new Xen PV drivers [1]. Their code is
of much higher quality, they are actively developed, and most
importantly, they work on Qubes R3. Still, they lack some core
functionality (foreign grant mapping) but that can be mostly ported
from my work on the GPL drivers. They also lack driver-user mode
interfaces for most functionality. Implementing this is what I'm doing
now. I estimate 2-4 weeks until our Windows Tools are fully
functional. After that it's Windows 8 support and its totally
different display driver model ;)

[1] http://www.xenproject.org/developers/teams/windows-pv-drivers.html
- --
Rafał Wojdyła
Qubes Tools for Windows developer

Micah Lee

Apr 24, 2015, 5:51:13 PM4/24/15
to Rafał Wojdyła, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 04/24/2015 12:50 PM, Rafał Wojdyła wrote:
> In the end I decided to use the new Xen PV drivers [1]. Their code is
> of much higher quality, they are actively developed, and most
> importantly, they work on Qubes R3. Still, they lack some core
> functionality (foreign grant mapping) but that can be mostly ported
> from my work on the GPL drivers. They also lack driver-user mode
> interfaces for most functionality. Implementing this is what I'm doing
> now. I estimate 2-4 weeks until our Windows Tools are fully
> functional. After that it's Windows 8 support and its totally
> different display driver model ;)
>
> [1] http://www.xenproject.org/developers/teams/windows-pv-drivers.html

Thank you so much! Can't wait. And yeah, should have looked at the
"known issues" before upgrading to an RC :).

Vít Šesták

Jun 18, 2015, 4:52:28 AM6/18/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, mi...@micahflee.com, marm...@invisiblethingslab.com
Hello Rafal,
I'd like to ask what is the current status? Is there any test version of Qubes Tools for R3?
Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'

Rafał Wojdyła

Jun 18, 2015, 8:41:24 AM6/18/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, mi...@micahflee.com, marm...@invisiblethingslab.com

Vít Šesták

Jun 18, 2015, 9:07:08 AM6/18/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, marm...@invisiblethingslab.com, mi...@micahflee.com
Thank you for the info. I'll probably be one of the testers :)

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'

Vít Šesták

Jul 1, 2015, 3:13:56 PM7/1/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, mi...@micahflee.com, marm...@invisiblethingslab.com

amarnat...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2015, 1:42:46 PM11/30/15
to qubes-devel, mi...@micahflee.com
Any working version now? I tried with right click and start VM with windows tools installation. It started but there is no cd drive. I tried the command to update tools in dom0 but it returned this message qubes-windows-tools not found. what am I supposed to do?

Deviant

Mar 27, 2016, 6:00:23 PM3/27/16
to qubes-devel, mi...@micahflee.com, amarnat...@gmail.com
I am also curious about this one, Got the new version 3.1 but still get the error you mentioned here.
Also not sure what to do here.