Gentoo template

t3sserakt

Aug 15, 2017, 3:29:35 PM8/15/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Is it possible to have a Gentoo template?
If yes, are there any working gentoo templates?

Found those two repositories:

https://devhub.io/zh/repos/2d1-qubes-overlay
https://github.com/q3k/qubes-gentoo-overlay

But I have no idea, if this is something I should invest my time into,
or if they addressing my questions from the beginning at all.

cheers

t3sserakt

Jazz Kittens

Aug 28, 2017, 12:15:42 AM8/28/17
to qubes-devel, t3...@posteo.de

I don't see why not. I think there are some patches for X to be applied - so specific a specific version would be required. You can specify all of this through ebuilds/overlays or the various configuration files for portage.

The issue with Gentoo is constant compiling. If you're going to build a template might I suggest that you consider including distcc  -although this may not be ideal from a security standpoint.

I was considering building a hardened template, and with HVM being default in v4 then a fully hardened kernel is a real possibility. There is a precompiled distro called lilblue that's build from the hardened project. It's maintained by one of hardened project devs, and it's done most of the legwork getting X to work with grsecurity/pax. It could be trimmed for the hardware requirements with a standard VM.