Qubes Windows Tools for R3

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jul 1, 2015, 1:52:06 AM7/1/15
to qubes-devel, qubes-users, Rafał Wojdyła, Joanna Rutkowska

Rafał Wojdyła

Jul 1, 2015, 6:54:40 AM7/1/15
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-devel, qubes-users, Joanna Rutkowska

Vít Šesták

Jul 1, 2015, 3:33:47 PM7/1/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com, om...@invisiblethingslab.com, joa...@invisiblethingslab.com
Is it really pushed to the R3's repository?

$ sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-dom0-unstable qubes-windows-tools
2015-07-01T19:17:11+0000
Using sys-firewall as UpdateVM to download updates for Dom0; this may take some time...
Running command on VM: 'sys-firewall'...
Loaded plugins: langpacks, post-transaction-actions, yum-qubes-hooks
No package qubes-windows-tools available.
Error: Nothing to do

$ yum search windows
======================================= N/S matched: windows =======================================
libwmf-lite.x86_64 : Windows Metafile parser library

  Name and summary matches only, use "search all" for everything.

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jul 1, 2015, 5:14:06 PM7/1/15
to Vít Šesták, qubes...@googlegroups.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com, om...@invisiblethingslab.com, joa...@invisiblethingslab.com

7v5w7go9ub0o

Jul 1, 2015, 7:23:33 PM7/1/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 07/01/2015 01:51 AM, Marek Marczykowski-GĂłrecki wrote:

> Known issues includes:
> - there is no way to upgrade VM migrated from R2, yet

IIUC, the best way to "migrate" (?) a Windows HVM is to:

1. Start up R2; Remove Qubes R2 drivers/toolkit from Windows HVMs using
a forthcoming R2 "uninstall drivers" tool
2. Backup WVM in R2
3. Fresh install Qubes R3; Restore WVM backup into Qubes R3; install
Qubes R3 drivers/toolkit.

Questions:

Has the R2 "uninstall Qubes Windows drivers/toolkit" tool been released
yet?

How could I determine this without writing to the mailing list?

Vít Šesták

Jul 2, 2015, 1:32:37 AM7/2/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
My first experience with that:

1. I first tried to install it on an IEVM (see https://modern.ie ), but those are only 32b and thus unsupported by QWT at the moment. (The README.txt suggests that there are 32b drivers, though.) But OK, maybe it is better to have stable 64b drivers first. OK, I'll install it on my Windows 7 Home Premium x64 VM.
2. Nice license :)
3. Installation takes very long time (note that I have Windows VM on HDD), maybe 20 minutes. For some time, there is no visible HDD activity and it stays on the same progress level, so it looks like frozen, but it is not. Installation finishes after some time.
4. After reboot, some drivers are installed and I have no network access. But I am told to reboot. OK.
5. After next reboot, I still have no network access :( I get no IP address at all.
6. I also have no Qubes tools working, namely both qrexec and guiagent are told they aren't installed.

Maybe qubes-core-dom0-3.0.15 or dom0 reboot will fix it, I will try it later. But I am not sure if I will have a time for that in this/next week.

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jul 2, 2015, 4:39:59 AM7/2/15
to Drew White, qubes...@googlegroups.com, joa...@invisiblethingslab.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com, om...@invisiblethingslab.com

Vít Šesták

Jul 2, 2015, 10:04:56 AM7/2/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, joa...@invisiblethingslab.com, mrdrew...@gmail.com, om...@invisiblethingslab.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com
After installing the new version of qubes-core-dom0 (current-testing) and reboot, the agent partially works, but rather randomly:
* I got list of applications to the start menu.
* I can get no GUI no matter if debug mode is on or off.
* I sometimes can use qvm-run -p <vm-name> cmd.
* Networking does not seem to work now. I got some autoconfiguration IPv4 and Link-local IPv6 address, but I am unable to access the Internet (empty lines removed):
C:\Windows\system32>tracert 8.8.8.8
tracert 8.8.8.8
Tracing route to 8.8.8.8 over a maximum of 30 hops
  1  Transmit error: code 1231.
Trace complete.
* When I try to shut down the WinWM, I sometimes get the following message:
The GUI agent that runs in the VM 'ysoft-win' implements outdated protocol (0:0), and must be updated.
To start and access the VM or template without GUI virtualization, use the following commands:
qvm-start --no-guid vmname
sudo xl console vmname
* I got one a very strange error condition:
1. I run qvm-start -p wmname tasklist
2. I run qvm-start -p wmname cmd
3. I performed several commands there with large output.
4. I pressed Ctrl+C, which killed the cmd.
5. I run qvm-start -p wmname cmd again, but I got some output from tasklist. Even stranger, the output was not red, but while (the default foreground color). This looks like a bug in dom0's part, as a bug in AppVM's part should not cause the text to be white.

Maybe the random behavior is caused by timeout. I'll enlarge the timeout.

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'

Rafał Wojdyła

Jul 2, 2015, 12:42:59 PM7/2/15
to Vít Šesták, qubes...@googlegroups.com, mrdrew...@gmail.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Vít Šesták

Jul 2, 2015, 4:52:29 PM7/2/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com, mrdrew...@gmail.com, groups-no-private-mail--con...@v6ak.com
OK, I've configured the network. Someone might find that useful:

1. Run in dom0: qvm-run -p -u SYSTEM windowsVM cmd
2. Then, you can type the following comand: netsh interface ip set address name="Local Area Connection 2" static 10.137.XXX.YYY 255.255.255.255 10.137.XXX.1
You can get the VM IP in the Qubes VM Manager.

So, networking works for now, but GUI does not. In the VM's GUID log, there is only:

Icon size: 128x128
libvchan_is_eof
Icon size: 128x128
libvchan_is_eof
Icon size: 128x128
libvchan_is_eof
Icon size: 128x128
libvchan_is_eof
Icon size: 128x128
libvchan_is_eof
Icon size: 128x128
libvchan_is_eof
Icon size: 128x128
libvchan_is_eof
Icon size: 128x128
libvchan_is_eof
Icon size: 128x128
libvchan_is_eof
Icon size: 128x128
libvchan_is_eof
Icon size: 128x128

qrexec log:
Rpc allowed: ysoft-win dom0 qubes.NotifyTools

guest-VMNAME.log: nothing

guest-VMNAME-dm.log: https://gist.github.com/v6ak/a935e6ec6c6f6c0f3cc9

Maybe I should try removing the recent tuning of video resolution.

Regards,
Vít Šesták

Vít Šesták

Jul 3, 2015, 1:22:07 AM7/3/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, mrdrew...@gmail.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Quick workaround for a non-working GUI: set guiagent_installed to false. I have to do that repeatedly, as a successful boot sets it back to true. Part of the inte-VM communication seems to work (e.g. guiagent is always turned on), while some other partially works (qvm-run sometimes works and sometimes hangs) and some completely don't work for me (GUI through guiagent).

The netsh-based workaround for network does the trick until a reboot, but I have a batch file for that.

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'

Vít Šesták

Jul 3, 2015, 1:44:47 AM7/3/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com, mrdrew...@gmail.com
Sorry for split posting, but I've found something more:

1. When I started Windows with disabled guiagent and then used qvm-run on that VM from dom0, it tried to start the guiagent and it caused a BSOD. Likely a driver's fault. Rafał, can I send you the log files privately? Where is the memory.dmp located?

2. There is probably some bug in dom0's counterpart (GUID?). When guiagent_installed is true, but seamless_gui_mode is false, then it should IMHO open a virtual screen (before any OS boot) as usual, but it doesn't.

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'

Rafał Wojdyła

Jul 3, 2015, 6:01:52 AM7/3/15
to Vít Šesták, qubes...@googlegroups.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com, mrdrew...@gmail.com

Jeremias E.

Jul 14, 2015, 11:54:58 AM7/14/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, groups-no-private-mail--con...@v6ak.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com, mrdrew...@gmail.com
Hello,

what is the command for installing: qubes-core-dom0-3.0.15?
Or in which repo is the package?

Best regards
  J. Eppler

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jul 14, 2015, 1:21:43 PM7/14/15
to Jeremias E., qubes...@googlegroups.com, groups-no-private-mail--con...@v6ak.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com, mrdrew...@gmail.com

Vít Šesták

Jul 14, 2015, 4:58:51 PM7/14/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, groups-no-private-mail--con...@v6ak.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com, mrdrew...@gmail.com
I am sorry for the delay, but I was offline for some time.

I can't find the memory.dmp :(

C:\Windows>dir /s *.dmp
 Volume in drive C has no label
 Volume Serial Number is ****-****
File Not Found

I have Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 x64.

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'

Rafał Wojdyła

Jul 14, 2015, 7:25:16 PM7/14/15
to Vít Šesták, qubes...@googlegroups.com, mrdrew...@gmail.com

7v5w7go9ub0o

Jul 14, 2015, 9:20:41 PM7/14/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 07/14/2015 07:25 PM, Rafał Wojdyła wrote:

<snip thread hijack>

> No problem, I was able to fix the issue in the meantime :)
>
> - -- Rafał Wojdyła Qubes Tools for Windows developer
> https://www.qubes-os.org/

Rafał, at one time you were going to devise software to remove Windows
tools/drivers from R2 Win HVMs, before backing them up and restoring
them in fresh R3 installations.

Is that still the plan?

Rafał Wojdyła

Jul 15, 2015, 12:47:28 PM7/15/15
to 7v5w7go9ub0o, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Vít Šesták

Jul 15, 2015, 3:28:23 PM7/15/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, groups-no-private-mail--con...@v6ak.com, mrdrew...@gmail.com

On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 1:25:16 AM UTC+2, omeg wrote:
No problem, I was able to fix the issue in the meantime :)

Great! I'll wait for next public release…

Rafał Wojdyła

Jul 22, 2015, 3:31:36 PM7/22/15
to tonisn...@gmail.com, qubes-devel, qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 2015-07-22 16:47, tonisn...@gmail.com wrote:
> After installing the windows tools, the vm doesnt boot to gui
> anymore. qrexec_installed/guiagent_installed/seamless_gui_mode are
> still false and after setting them to true and trying to start a
> program in the VM I get:
>
> qvm-run -a win7-2 cmd.exe Running command on VM: 'win7-2'...
> Starting the VM 'win7-2'... --> Loading the VM (type = HVM)... -->
> Starting Qubes DB... --> Setting Qubes DB info for the VM... -->
> Updating firewall rules... --> Starting the VM... --> Starting the
> qrexec daemon... Waiting for VM's qrexec
> agent.......................................connected Traceback
> (most recent call last): File "/usr/bin/qvm-run", line 199, in
> <module> main() File "/usr/bin/qvm-run", line 194, in main r =
> vm_run_cmd(vm, cmdstr, options) File "/usr/bin/qvm-run", line 64,
> in vm_run_cmd gui = options.gui, filter_esc = options.filter_esc)
> File
> "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/qubes/modules/01QubesHVm.py",
> line 356, in run return super(QubesHVm, self).run(command,
> **kwargs) File
> "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/qubes/modules/000QubesVm.py",
> line 1499, in run self.start(verbose=verbose, start_guid = gui,
> notify_function=notify_function) File
> "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/qubes/modules/01QubesHVm.py",
> line 381, in start return super(QubesHVm, self).start(*args,
> **kwargs) File
> "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/qubes/modules/000QubesVm.py",
> line 1786, in start extra_guid_args=extra_guid_args) File
> "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/qubes/modules/01QubesHVm.py",
> line 412, in start_guid super(QubesHVm, self).start_guid(verbose,
> notify_function, extra_guid_args=["-Q"], **kwargs) TypeError:
> start_guid() got multiple values for keyword argument
> 'extra_guid_args'

I think a dom0 fix for that is in the testing repository. Anyway, I'd
wait a few more days for the new Windows Tools release that fixes a
lot of problems with the first build.

> Second try: [tonis@dom0 ~]$ qvm-run -a win7-2 cmd.exe Running
> command on VM: 'win7-2'... --> Starting Qubes GUId... Connecting to
> VM's GUI agent: .connected --> Sending monitor layout... -->
> Waiting for qubes-session... (hanged here a long time, before I
> pressed ctrl+c) ^CTraceback (most recent call last): File
> "/usr/bin/qvm-run", line 199, in <module> main() File
> "/usr/bin/qvm-run", line 194, in main r = vm_run_cmd(vm, cmdstr,
> options) File "/usr/bin/qvm-run", line 64, in vm_run_cmd gui =
> options.gui, filter_esc = options.filter_esc) File
> "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/qubes/modules/01QubesHVm.py",
> line 356, in run return super(QubesHVm, self).run(command,
> **kwargs) File
> "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/qubes/modules/000QubesVm.py",
> line 1546, in run retcode = subprocess.call(args, **call_kwargs)
> File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 524, in call return
> Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs).wait() File
> "/usr/lib64/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1376, in wait pid, sts =
> _eintr_retry_call(os.waitpid, self.pid, 0) File
> "/usr/lib64/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 478, in
> _eintr_retry_call

- --