Next desktop environment?

pizza...@tutamail.com

May 3, 2016, 11:40:38 AM5/3/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
So I have a question about what’s next regarding the desktop environment used.

Although I’m new to Qubes, I’ve looked around quite a bit yesterday trying to figure out what’s been talked about this so far; I might’t gotten some things wrong though.

The consensus seems to be that Joanna has been pleased by the simplicity of GNOME and was considering switching to that and perhaps even removing KDE. However, according to some github buzz it seems that an dom0 update to a newer version of Fedora might actually be coming sooner, and with it an update to KDE 5 as well. Or at least that’s the feel I’ve gotten after reading into some of the related pull requests, in particular this one .

I guess my question is: Are there any plans to update to KDE 5? If so how soon, and if not what’s next?

Personally, I just switched to Qubes after being a full-time OS X user for years. I’ve used Tails & Whonix before though, and I was already a bit familiar with KDE. After fiddling with it some more, I’m really pleased. My only complaint would be that the interface does look quite a bit old, which is why I’m rooting for KDE 5. It looks amazing and I’m probably going to be using a Debian VM with it as my primary VM in the meantime.

Anyway I have to say kudos for putting together such an awesome and surprisingly easy to use OS, everything worked out of the box so far which actually really impressed me.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

May 3, 2016, 3:47:49 PM5/3/16
to pizza...@tutamail.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki